IGNORED

International Driving Permit (AKA Licence) - Definitive

Edge

This is the link for the NRMA website for Aussie licence holders.

I have recently (2 weeks ago) Applied for one (from Thailand and am having it sent here) My cc has been debited so hopefully its on the way.

For anyone interested? I got my IDP today. So a touch over 3 weeks from sending the application letter from Thailand to having it in my hand.

• 4 weeks later...

Some travel insurance companies require u to have a IDP if you are driving.........check the small print.

A friend of mine went recently and didn't take a IDP, was stopped and paid a fine, I think he told me 150B and they said that he was OK for 7 days, if caught again presumably he'd get another fine

Im pretty sure fines are good for 1 day. At least the ones I have got apparently were.

This is not about what might happen at the side of the road.

This is about being legal.

what about

http://phuketir.com/intlicense/

they offer a 10 and 20 year international driving license

this can be obtained by post when staying in Thailand

I don't have my PC so can't research but quite sure these are scams and a valid IDP can only be gotten from your home country. Valid for 1 year is the norm. 3 years not sure?

They have been outed lots of times on thaivisa - it is a scam.

• 2 weeks later...

Some travel insurance companies require u to have a IDP if you are driving.........check the small print.

My understanding from a Thai policeman is that ONLY a Thai DL will qualify for any insurance claims in Thailand. Having an IDP will ALLOW you to ride and drive on the roads but without any insurance coverage.

My understanding from a Thai policeman is that ONLY a Thai DL will qualify for any insurance claims in Thailand. Having an IDP will ALLOW you to ride and drive on the roads but without any insurance coverage.

An IDP is all that is needed if you want to make a travel insurance claim. You need a Thai Licence if you want to insure your own vehicle in Thailand.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

..................... You need a Thai Licence if you want to insure your own vehicle in Thailand.

I'm pretty sure that's correct, but not all insurance companies and brokers point that out or ask to see your Thai DL and many assume that anyone (including hirers) are insured to drive.

As with any insurance, you only find out whether you were really covered when you make a claim. :Think1:

Same thing for Canada ... you can get an International Driving Permit from any local CAA office for $25 cdn, and valid for one year only ... based on the 1949 Agreement ... and it gives you the same driving rights as your home license; in my case car, light truck or maximum 8 seat van plus motorcycle

<p>

An additional note to this thread. Two weeks ago, I was stopped by the BIB on a motorbike on a Sunday morning with my TGF on back. I was in Pattaya between Walking Street/Beach Road and Second street. The BIB asked for my Passport and my International Drivers Permit. I showed him copies of both. He was OK with the copy of the passport but the copy of the IDP was not enough. I told him the originals were in my hotel room. He said that I need to carry the "original" of my IDP. No fine or hassle, maybe I was lucky. I still do not like carrying the original of my IDP with me since it is bulky and I have no idea how much of a problem it would be to get it replaced if it were lost.

I have been stopped several other times on a motorbike in years past and no problems with copies. I was stopped by the BIB in BKK 6 months ago in a car. I was using a "bus only" lane and I was able to easily produce the originals of my passport and IDL. I still had to pay a 400 baht fine to the guy.

My 2 baht -- FWIW

...................... I still do not like carrying the original of my IDP with me since it is bulky and I have no idea how much of a problem it would be to get it replaced if it were lost.

I suspect that if you lost it you'd have to buy another one.

It is bulky but no easy answer. They're looking for that grey coloured(?) cover and not always even looking inside it.

If you could replicate that you'd be part way there, but it's still bulky.

Good that he didn't ask for money though, I'd be inclined to persevere with the copy if you can't keep it under your seat.

Have been stopped on numerous occasions and never a problem once I show my IDL. Nothing else is needed. West Australians can get at RAC office for $25.

• 5 weeks later...

................... West Australians can get at RAC office for $25.

$32 IDL in Melbourne from RACV

AAA says $34.50AUD - all in all quite a bit more expensive for Australians than Brits or US.

Luckily you can afford it. :GoldenSmile1:

AAA says $34.50AUD - all in all quite a bit more expensive for Australians than Brits or US.

Luckily you can afford it. :GoldenSmile1:

Where not called the lucky country for nothin :GoldenSmile1:

Hey MC,

This is not correct, I had an accident in Kanchanaburi a few years back and when back in Patt's the insurance comapany wanted to see my licence, no problems.....they all looked stumped when they saw my international licence but once I explained what it was and when they saw that Thailand was one of the countries printed one the page where it lists where I can use it, it was all fine, they fixed my car......so an IDP is ok with Thailand Insurance company's .

.................................so an IDP is ok with Thailand Insurance company's .

That's not correct either.

I don't believe it's as black & white as either you or Madcat are saying.

Speaking from my own experience (with Viriya First Class) if I had not been able to produce a Thai DL the repairer would not have released my car without paying the 30k cost, because Viriya would not have paid them.

I couldn't read it, but they pointed out the clause in my Policy which said I must have a Thai DL to be covered.

It's a bit like all those people who have got away with driving without an IDP or whatever - different strokes for different folks.

Remember that you never really know whether you're covered until you make a claim and insurance companies are renowned for avoiding payouts.

Everything in Thailand seems to be open to interpretation on the day and either you were lucky or your insurance company doesn't have or apply that clause.

Whichever, I would not advise that "an IDP is ok with Thailand Insurance companies".

I would advise everyone to check with their own insurance company.

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand driving licence valid throughout ASEAN

Anyone holding a valid Thai driving licence can now use it in nine other countries without the need to obtain an international permit. These countries are Mynamar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and the Philippines which, together with Thailand, make up the 10 country ASEAN economic grouping.

Khun-Kosin-Weerananthanaphan-300x271.jpg

Kosin Weerananthanaphan is new head of Banglamung Transportation Authority

Citizens of these countries, together with foreign nationals holding a driving permit issued by any member state, are now able to drive in all member countries for as long as the licence is valid. Thailand issues separate licences to drive cars and motorbikes so Thais and foreigners need to have the appropriate permit for the category of vehicle they intend to drive abroad. For those who prefer, international licences can still be used for driving in Thailand and throughout ASEAN.

Kosin Weeranthanaphan, new head of the Banglamung transportation authority which is situated behind the International School of the Regents, said, “Both foreigners and Thais can take advantage of this move by the ASEAN countries to simplify day-to-day procedures. From 2015 China, South Korea and Japan will be added to the list of countries where a driver’s licence issued in an ASEAN country can be used.”

The transportation head also reminded foreign applicants of the documents needed to obtain a Thai driving licence – original passport and valid visa + photocopy, two photographs, a recent certificate of residence issued by the Immigration Bureau and a doctor’s certificate not more than one month old. Applicants also receive information on current traffic regulations in Thailand and take a competency examination currently available in Thai, English, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic. Successful candidates receive their driving licence(s) on the day of application.

Kosin warned foreigners not to believe agents who claim to be able to obtain Thai driving licences without the applicant showing up. “All driving licences are issued only to the applicant in person who pays the appropriate fees at the transportation office’s service counter”. He added that the use of driving licences beyond national borders was one example of the 10 ASEAN countries preparing to open a free-trade area and implementing policies to remove tariffs from December 31, 2015.

Whichever, I would not advise that "an IDP is ok with Thailand Insurance company's".

I would advise everyone to check with their own insurance company.

I have the same insurance with Viriya as you do and mine was OK but i did get the Nissan dealer to do all the leg work and talking for me.

But good advice about checking that clause in your policy and i will when i get back to Patt's.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was going to try and get an IDP for my upcoming 1 month trip, but as a Belgian looks like it's no use really, as they are invalid?

Or would I get away with having the 'wrong' one. Mind you, I'd hire a motorbike for a month so I'd need a stamp in the first category, which I probably won't get.

In Belgium you are allowed to drive 125cc motorbikes with a car licence, but there's no seperate category for 125cc bikes on the IDP. Any advice?

Well I was going to try and get an IDP for my upcoming 1 month trip, but as a Belgian looks like it's no use really, as they are invalid?

Or would I get away with having the 'wrong' one. Mind you, I'd hire a motorbike for a month so I'd need a stamp in the first category, which I probably won't get.

In Belgium you are allowed to drive 125cc motorbikes with a car licence, but there's no seperate category for 125cc bikes on the IDP. Any advice?

Get one anyway.

They're not in Thai and from what I've seen at check points the BiB accept anything in the right coloured buff cover.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as there are always different experiences, but they don't appear to be reading them?

Check your PDF/policy for your travel insurance too.........some companies want you to have a international licence to pay the rental car accident excess...others are ok with your Australian licence............one also should note if you are renting a car or motorbike, most IF not ALL Travel insurance companies DO NOT cover you for damage you done to others, eg hit a pedestrian.

Last week, I was pulled over at at bib checkpoint on the way to prah viharn. Aust license, int permit, and still fined me 200 baht. No Thai license. I didn't argue. Pay it and drive away. As well, prah viharn still not open. National park is, but not the ruins. Wasted trip.

Last week, I was pulled over at at bib checkpoint on the way to prah viharn. Aust license, int permit, and still fined me 200 baht. No Thai license. I didn't argue. Pay it and drive away. As well, prah viharn still not open. National park is, but not the ruins. Wasted trip.

I've seen that happen out of town too.

You're legal, but how much time are you prepared to waste arguing and what else might they get you for eg some insurance policies appear to be invalid without a Thai DL.

If it's at all practicable, the a Thai DL is always the best option.

I read this topic before my trip in November and with not having been stopped on past trips decided i didn't need an IDP.

First day on the bike i got stopped twice in Pattaya, Second road and Beach road, both accepted my UK photo license no problems. one actually mumbled ah UK OK you go.

Next day in Jomtien a good way down the beach road i was stopped again but this time they did want the IDP and i was fined 600 baht, it won't break the bank but i do a fair few miles round Pattaya and the potential for getting stopped several times a day it would have soon added up.

I had planned a few ride outs as well sight seeing but scrapped these with the clampdowns.

I am now the proud owner of an IDP ready for my next trip.

I read this topic before my trip in November and with not having been stopped on past trips decided i didn't need an IDP.

First day on the bike i got stopped twice in Pattaya, Second road and Beach road, both accepted my UK photo license no problems. one actually mumbled ah UK OK you go.

Next day in Jomtien a good way down the beach road i was stopped again but this time they did want the IDP and i was fined 600 baht, it won't break the bank but i do a fair few miles round Pattaya and the potential for getting stopped several times a day it would have soon added up.

I had planned a few ride outs as well sight seeing but scrapped these with the clampdowns.

I am now the proud owner of an IDP ready for my next trip.

What happens at the roadside is often a variable, but even for only one stop, 12 quid versus 6 quid(ish) for an IDP is a no brainer - more so if it curtailed your plans.