IGNORED

International Driving Permit (AKA Licence) - Definitive

Edge

There is currently lots of information on the board about these, some correct and some not.

What happens with BiB at the side of the road may vary a lot, but this is how to drive legally.

This is an attempt to lay it out correctly with a view to getting it Pinned as a one stop source of information.

If I've got something wrong or missed something, please tell me and I'll edit this OP.

For those wishing to drive using their Home DL, you also need an International Driving Permit.

My bias is towards UK as an example and I'll use the AA website HERE for reference, but the same rules apply to all the countries which are signed up to the 1926 & 1949 Conventions - 1949 for Thailand.

There is also a 1968 Convention, which allows the issue of IDPs for 3 years.

Thailand has NOT ratified that Convention - only the 1949 Convention.

Details of how to obtain one and how much they cost are on the AA website given above.

There are equivalent websites for US and Australia and others which I'll edit in if someone gives them.

Summary :-

To drive legally in Thailand you should carry both your Plastic and Paper Licences, together with an International Driving Permit.

An IDP is simply a translation of your Home DL and not a Licence in its own right.

You must be qualified to drive the vehicle you are driving and that category must be shown on your Licence and IDP e.g. you cannot ride a motorbike with only the car category.

Whilst an IDP is valid for one year, your Home DL is only valid for 90 days at a time, up to the one year, when you should apply for a Thai DL, or presumably get another IDP.

Driving without a correct licence (Home DL + IDP or Thai DL) carries penalties and may affect your insurance cover.

If you are a long term or frequent visitor then a Thai DL is preferable. Look HERE

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is valid for 12 months from the date of issue (see also important note 1 below).

Recognised internationally, an IDP normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence. (See also important note 2 below)

Most countries require a

1949 Convention IDP but for certain countries, a 1926 Convention IDP is necessary.

• The AA is authorised to issue both the 1926 and 1949 Convention IDPs to applicants 18 years and over who hold a valid UK driving licence, or can obtain such a licence on the basis of a valid pass certificate.
  • IDPs cannot be issued to a holder of a UK provisional driving licence without the test pass certificate and provisional driving licence.
  • An IDP is a permit for use in conjunction with your driving licence, not in place of it
  • In some countries, you risk being fined or worse for relying solely on an IDP

Is an IDP the same as an International Driving Licence (IDL)?

No. An IDL is not a legally recognised document and will not enable you to meet national requirements to carry an IDP.

For those who have a Thai DL and wish to drive in Laos/Cambodia etc, you can obtain a Thai IDP from Chonburi Traffic Office.

They require copies of Passport & Visa, Residence Certificate, Thai DL(s) and 500 Baht.

• Like 2

Some great info there for everyone thinking of driving whilst out there!

Thanks for posting!

Bill

Unless you hold a current IDP you will have to face the Thai drivers licence as a new driver.

Edited by gogo dog
no such thing as an international driving licence

Unless you hold a current IDP you will have to face the Thai drivers licence as a new driver.

That is what it says in the guidelines on some sites, but experiences may vary.

I just wanted to try to deal with IDPs because the BiB are having a blitz on them lately and some BMs don't seem to know what they are.

Others have dealt with applying for a Thai DL, so I'll add a link to their threads.

Thanks.

Edited by gogo dog
fix quote

I got one for my trip last year. It took about 10 minutes from a post office. Note not all post offices issue them. Check the website to find out which ones do.

This is what one looks like.

Coin added for scale. It is about passport size when closed. The deleted number at the bottom is the Driver number from your home driving licence so they can check the numbers match.

020820122571.jpg

Inside, the English page

020820122572.jpg

There are also a Spanish, Russian, Italian, German, Arabic, Japanese and Chinese pages. No Thai translation but it is a standard format and I'm sure each country without a translation could issue officers with the appropriate page.

020820122573.jpg

Opened out it looks like this (Photo and personal details erased obviously)

020820122577.jpg

The stamps show which groups of vehicle entitlement you have on your home licence. Note that motorbike entitlement was not stamped on my licence. This was because I didn't have a motorbike licence at the time. A UK CBT will not show on your IDP either. It must be full bike entitlement.

020820122575.jpg

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Great info.

In Australia (NSW) you get it from the NRMA.

I will be going though this process shortly in preparation for the next trip and will update the process for Aussies in here.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I thought the whole point of a IDP was that it had a translation inside for the country you needed it for translating the variuos vehicles you have on your actual license, so no Thai translation so whats the point?

At least my uk license has pics of the vehicles i am entitled to drive so would give more info than an IDP.

I thought the whole point of a IDP was that it had a translation inside for the country you needed it for translating the variuos vehicles you have on your actual license, so no Thai translation so whats the point?

At least my uk license has pics of the vehicles i am entitled to drive so would give more info than an IDP.

If they translated it into every possible language you would be carrying around a book almost as thick as a telephone directory. The point is it is in standard format. It would be no hassle at all for each local police service to download and print a translation in their local language then hold it up against the IDP.

In fact in Thailand you may have noticed they tend to concentrate one a particular type of vehicle at check points. All the boss cop needs to do is tell his ofiicers 'we are checking bikes (cars), make sure the IDP is stamped against section A (B)'

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

There is currently lots of information on the board about these, some correct and some not.

What happens with BiB at the side of the road may vary a lot, but this is how to drive legally.

This is an attempt to lay it out correctly with a view to getting it Pinned as a one stop source of information.

If I've got something wrong or missed something, please tell me and I'll edit this OP.

For those wishing to drive using their Home DL, you also need an International Driving Permit.

My bias is towards UK as an example and I'll use the AA website HERE for reference, but the same rules apply to all the countries which are signed up to the 1926 & 1949 Conventions - 1949 for Thailand.

Details of how to obtain one and how much they cost are on the AA website.

There are equivalent websites for US and Australia and others which I'll edit in if someone gives them.

Summary :-

To drive legally in Thailand you should carry both your Plastic and Paper Licences, together with an International Driving Permit.

An IDP is simply a translation of your Home DL and not a Licence in its own right.

You must be qualified to drive the vehicle you are driving and that category must be shown on your Licence and IDP e.g. you cannot ride a motorbike with only the car category.

Whilst an IDP is valid for one year, your Home DL is only valid for 90 days at a time, up to the one year, when you should apply for a Thai DL, or presumably get another IDP.

Driving without a correct licence (Home DL + IDP or Thai DL) carries penalties and may affect your insurance cover.

If you are a long term or frequent visitor then a Thai DL is preferable. Look HERE

[/size][/color][/size][/color]

For those who have a Thai DL and wish to drive in Laos/Cambodia etc, you can obtain a Thai IDP from Chonburi Traffic Office.

They require copies of Passport & Visa, Residence Certificate, Thai DL(s) and 500 Baht.

"Whilst an IDP is valid for one year, your Home DL is only valid for 90 days at a time, up to the one year, when you should apply for a Thai DL, or presumably get another IDP.

This section "could" be seeing broken by the visa run as it is a new entry in the country , technically you are new arrived... as also in an extension of a visa it is your newest date who is required to fill in as arrival date on application and another 3 month's is starting.... so....(?)., howevher it is how they see it for the IDP :Crazy1:

Ps ; besides my IDP frome home country is value for 3 years

Edited by david555

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

"Whilst an IDP is valid for one year, your Home DL is only valid for 90 days at a time, up to the one year, when you should apply for a Thai DL, or presumably get another IDP.

This section "could" be seeing broken by the visa run as it is a new entry in the country , technically you are new arrived... as also in an extension of a visa it is your newest date who is required to fill in as arrival date on application and another 3 month's is starting.... so....(?)., howevher it is how they see it for the IDP :Crazy1:

Ps ; besides my IDP frome home country is value for 3 years

It's not exactly crystal clear, but my understanding is that your stay here has to be marked by a new arrival date, so a Visa extension would not work.

A border run is fine, but the arrival date you enter for a Visa extension should obviously be your last entry date, nothing else, so if you haven't broken your stay..........

If you study the Convention regulations via the link given, you will see that it stipulates a 12 month period, so I don't know how a 3 year one would comply.

Can you post a copy or alternatively, does it look the same as the one Pepe posted?

It's not exactly crystal clear, but my understanding is that your stay here has to be marked by a new arrival date, so a Visa extension would not work.

A border run is fine, but the arrival date you enter for a Visa extension should obviously be your last entry date, nothing else, so if you haven't broken your stay..........

If you study the Convention regulations via the link given, you will see that it stipulates a 12 month period, so I don't know how a 3 year one would comply.

Can you post a copy or alternatively, does it look the same as the one Pepe posted?

In Belgium, there is only one authorised issuer. Is it from here?

Belgium

Royal Automobile Club de Belgique (

RACB)

The IDP looks the same as mine (Belgium ) have a big strong hardpaper version , cream color cover , white pages inside with dutch, french german english spanish & russian pages withe the different categorys, this whe receive from our communal sevices , an indicatesthe categorys wich allowed to drive , in my country if you have a carr permit then aitomatiq you have a motorboke liscence (unlogic i find , but is so...)

DIP have not an ink stamp but a in deept stamp, frony shows issue & expiere date (3 years) & number country drivers licence n°, an dan inkt stamp + signature authorised person , on ID picture page the in deep stamp covers partially picture and my signature.......so by looking to it looks same (i f opened total there are 3 parts )

By refering to visa extension i only make my point about the date who is recognised as latest ARRIVAL(nothing about that it extend your DIP allowing time) in Thailand and not he original by" Swampy' (mistake i once made , andbeeing coorected on that by officer immgr.)

So you are new every time in Thailand by leaving and entry ...;

your information about RCB is incorrect as in the old days (when i was young man it was so ), not now anymore , is by govermental services delivered

I have NO scanner/ printer , but found on GOOGLE an picture from our IDP , so you see the value dates (3 years)intrijbewijsvoor.jpg

Edited by david555

The IDP looks the same as mine (Belgium ) have a big strong hardpaper version , cream color cover , white pages inside with dutch, french german english spanish & russian pages withe the different categorys, this whe receive from our communal sevices , an indicatesthe categorys wich allowed to drive , in my country if you have a carr permit then aitomatiq you have a motorboke liscence (unlogic i find , but is so...)

DIP have not an ink stamp but a in deept stamp, frony shows issue & expiere date (3 years) & number country drivers licence n°, an dan inkt stamp + signature authorised person , on ID picture page the in deep stamp covers partially picture and my signature.......so by looking to it looks same (i f opened total there are 3 parts )

I have NO scanner/ printer , but found on GOOGLE an picture from our IDP , so you see the value dates (3 years)intrijbewijsvoor.jpgEuropcar[/color], so it may be wrong. There is usually only one authorised issuer I think.

The thing which mainly concerns me is that that Permit refers to a 1968 convention, whereas the one applicable to Thailand is the 1949 Convention and the only other one was 1926.

The only provision was for 12 month Permits.

Also the languages are only Europe plus Russian - no Arabic, Chinese or Japanese?

I stand to be corrected and it looks official, but I don't think that's the correct one for Thailand.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Edit - I've found your 1968 Convention, but Thailand didn't sign up to it, nor lots of other countries.

It does look as though Belgium only issues 1968 based Permits, so Belgians may have a problem.

1949 vs 1968

The 1949 Convention and the 1968 Convention are almost identical in their contents except some clarifications and additions in the latter. Also, the 1949 International Driving Permit and the 1968 International Driving Permit look almost the same. One major difference between them is that, while the 1949 International Driving Permit is valid for maximum of one year from the date of issue, the 1968 International Driving Permit is valid for maximum of three years from the date of issue.

Comparison of the 1949 International Driving Permit and the 1968 International Driving Permit

Dimensions: 105 x 148 mm. The 1949 version. Valid for 1 year. The 1968 version. Valid for 3 years. 1949.gif1968.gif

There is often a confusion, among laymen and law-enforcing officers alike, as to the difference and validity of these two versions of the International Driving Permit. What makes the scene even more complicated is the fact that many nations have a domestic law which validates the International Driving Permit based on the Convention on Road Traffic of which they are not contracting parties.

The Case of Thailand

Thailand joined the 1949 Convention on 15 August 1962 and is presently a contracting party. Thailand issues the 1949 International Driving Permit. Any 1949 International Driving Permit issued by other contracting parties is valid in Thailand.

As to the 1968 Convention, Thailand's delegate signed the Convention on 8 November 1968 in Vienna, but the Thai Government hasn't ratified it so far. This is also the case with a dozen other nations including Indonesia, South Korea, Spain and the UK. What this means in the international political arena requires some deliberation but, simply put, Thailand is not a contracting party of the 1968 Convention. Thailand doesn't issue the 1968 International Driving Permit.

The question is, is a 1968 International Driving Permit valid in Thailand? In order for a 1968 International Driving Permit to be valid in Thailand, there must be a specific law in Thailand which validates the 1968 International Driving Permit. So the question is, is there a law in Thailand which validates the 1968 International Driving Permit? As far as I know, there isn't.

Does Germany do the same I wonder (see example in Link).

LINK

I need to check again re' RACB - that was from Europcar, so it may be wrong. There is usually only one authorised issuer I think.

The thing which mainly concerns me is that that Permit refers to a 1968 convention, whereas the one applicable to Thailand is the !948 Convention and the only other one was 1929.

The only provision was for 12 month Permits.

Also the languages are only Europe plus Russian - no Arabic, Chinese or Japanese?

I stand to be corrected and it looks official, but I don't think that's the correct one for Thailand.

it is the ONLY official one that exist in Belgium and internattionally recognised (before delivering they check your driving file no latest exclusions are on it, the prehistoric one from commercial tourist organisation just deliver on request for a fee), as the RCB one was before th official one , considerd as just an translation .

It is fact that countrys have different rules , by example our Passports are only 5 years value , UK ones 10 years... , about languages .....the most general spoken languages besides our own ones are on it , would you expect all worlds languages be on it , itwould look like a thelephone guide thick one :GoldenSmile1:

As so many Thai information is not updated on websites ,and most European countrys have "tuned "their laws on same basis with small differences , i can understand that Brittish have some difficult understandinfs with that .... :GoldenSmile1:

that's why as an EU i feel more home in Cambodia as in "British tuned " Thailand ... only because of driving on the correct side of the road (RIGHT side ) :GoldenSmile1: (joking)

it is the ONLY official one that exist in Belgium and internattionally recognised .............................

I accept that it's the only one issued in Belgium, but neither it, nor the 1968 Convention is internationally recognised.

If you missed my later edit in my previous post, please check and comment.

]

I was under the impression that the only legal way to drive in Cambodia was with a Cambodian license, which I have. I have been pulled over here numerous times and been waved away after showing my license.

Whe just should need some one who got his Thai drivers licence with i,t to know the value of the conventions named ......;

maybe by end next week i myself can tell , as i plan to go with my doc. for the transport office ..

But about that RCB story .... that is" history" before they maked the IDP an official one

I was under the impression that the only legal way to drive in Cambodia was with a Cambodian license, ...................

Not so, Cambodia signed up to the 1949 Convention and I've passed muster even with those cnuts in Sihanoukville several times with a UK IDP & DL.

Next time round I plan to get a Thai IDP to go with my Thai DL as per the note in the OP.

Whe just should need some one who got his Thai drivers licence with i,t to know the value of the conventions named ......;

maybe by end next week i myself can tell , as i plan to go with my doc. for the transport office ..

But about that RCB story .... that is" history" before they maked the IDP an official one

I've already accepted what you said about RCB (tell Europcar) but the rest of what I said about Belgium appears to be factual.

For Thailand you need an IDP according to the 1949 Convention, the same as they issue themselves, so I think Belgians here potentially have a problem.

Good luck getting your Thai DL...and good idea!

Interesting stuff. I was never asked which conventions' IDP I wanted, they just gave me that one. Do you know the UK position Edge? Have we not ratified the 1969 one either?

RULES

1NQq.gif

Interesting stuff. I was never asked which conventions' IDP I wanted, they just gave me that one. Do you know the UK position Edge? Have we not ratified the 1969 one either?

Firstly, I don't know what's on your mind, but it's '68 and not '69 :LOL2:

Secondly, the easy answer is that the 1968 Convention has NOT been ratified by Thailand as at today's date and it's the 1949 Convention (as you posted) which is required to drive here legally.

The quirky bit - and presumably the reason why UK only issues 1926 & 1949 Convention versions, is that the UK hasn't ratified it either. Neither has the USA and lots of others.

1949 Rules Rule OK?

I don't think it would be useful, interesting as it is, to clutter this thread up further with the confusion, except that if there are other countries only issuing 1968 versions (there may well be) then strictly speaking, users are likely to be driving illegally in Thailand.

Having said that, the BiB at checkpoints may not be studying them that closely, so I won't be surprised if people say they've been accepted. The real test might be in a serious individual's situation, rather than a mass checkpoint.

The information regarding the 1968 Convention is HERE

In my opinion, the position regarding Thailand remains clear. It's the 1949 version which is required and it can only be valid for 12 months.

PS - I don't know which Application form you filled in, but the AA one does tell you to check which version you need, 1926 or 1949 and to tick the box accordingly.

Not so, Cambodia signed up to the 1949 Convention and I've passed muster even with those cnuts in Sihanoukville several times with a UK IDP & DL.

Not sure when they signed up to it but I think they forgot. Every business owner I have spoken to in Snooky tells me the same thing. Douglas even has it in his website here. http://coolabah-hotel.com/144/

And he has drinks with the local police chief regularly.

I have never had any problems with the Cops here, I live in Snooky.

A friend from Ireland gave up, he got sick of paying the fine with his IPL and just got a Khmer license. No problems after that. Yes, I anecdotal stories only.

Edited by Tr and To

Not sure when they signed up to it but I think they forgot. Every business owner I have spoken to in Snooky tells me the same thing. Douglas even has it in his website here. http://coolabah-hotel.com/144/

And he has drinks with the local police chief regularly.

I have never had any problems with the Cops here, I live in Snooky.

A friend from Ireland gave up, he got sick of paying the fine with his IPL and just got a Khmer license. No problems after that. Yes, I anecdotal stories only.

As you say, anecdotal stuff and the Coolabah blurb is just that and incorrect, although what he means by an IDL or you mean by an IPL may not be the same as the IDP we're talking about.

It must be the correct IDP and they do know the difference.

Cambodia had signed up to the 1949 Convention as Kampuchea by 1996. The correct information is HERE

As in Thailand, a local DL is definitely best, but I have been stopped lots of times in SV and the last 3 or 4 times a UK IDP alongside my UK DL (both plastic and paper) has been accepted no problem.

As I said, they do know exactly what they're looking for though.

As an aside, they are also preying on drivers who are allowed through Cham Yeam/Koh Kong without the correct Cambodian Temporary Import Permit.

Going in via Poipet and getting the correct document solves the problem and then you can exit via Koh Kong if you choose.

I'm not making this up and I've been stopped by minions and an officer who spoke perfect English.

This is the situation there and the rest is just gossip and heresay and conjecture based on the fact that SV BiB take every opportunity that we present to them to rip us off.

The last time was February this year on the green machine with Thai plates. I was stopped twice - no 'fines'.

More in the DomEdge Limitation thread in my Signature.

post-34565-0-78480900-1328435541.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is the link for the NRMA website for Aussie licence holders.

I have recently (2 weeks ago) Applied for one (from Thailand and am having it sent here) My cc has been debited so hopefully its on the way.

It is a piece of cake if you have Internat permit and your country permit / license and the needed copys and residence/health certificates.....only angle "could" be the need for a non o visa ..(as stated on the transport websites)

, Transport office opens AT 8:30 , even with long line i was out with both licenses at 9:30 , no exams , IDP accepted , only reaction, peripheral and color blindness test , both licenses total 360 bhat

thumbsup2.gif

Edited by david555