IGNORED

England V South Africa - battle of the giants

mousemat

Second test is as good as a draw.

The third test at Lords is a massive game - at the moment I just can't see us taking 20 wickets

Second test drawn , but not until after a few moments on the last day . Pietersen getting the first 3 SA batsmen and Broad taking 5 , England were set 253 to win , finished 130-4 , too much time lost to rain .

Wonder if England would have got amongst the SA batsmen quicker with Swann bowling ? We'll never know , but its a must that they play 5 bowlers at the Oval .

Mikeyboy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikeyboy

• mousemat

• pointer

• batista275

Second test drawn , but not until after a few moments on the last day . Pietersen getting the first 3 SA batsmen and Broad taking 5 , England were set 253 to win , finished 130-4 , too much time lost to rain .

Wonder if England would have got amongst the SA batsmen quicker with Swann bowling ? We'll never know , but its a must that they play 5 bowlers at the Oval .

Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy as our cricket expert – do you believe that the Olympic Archery events will cause problems to the out-field for the Lords test?

My work contract finishes next Friday so if the test goes to the fifth day then I’ll be able to go :)

Mikeyboy as our cricket expert – do you believe that the Olympic Archery events will cause problems to the out-field for the Lords test?

My work contract finishes next Friday so if the test goes to the fifth day then I’ll be able to go :)

Thanks for the compliment Mousemat . I heard that the temporary stands for the archery tournament won't cause any major damage to the lords outfield .

I would have thought if they had any concerns beforehand they wouldn't have agreed to host the archery .

I'll take a close win for England on the 5th day . Groundsman Mick Hunt will prepare his usual quality wicket , so England must play Swann for bowling options for Strauss .

Mikeyboy

Final test this week and England will be without Kevin Pietersen .. Pietersen has been dropped following well publicised differences with the management .

He did release a video on saturday apologising for basically being a wanker , and pledged himself to England for all forms of the game .

Seems it was too late for him as England delayed naming the test squad for lords , to give him time to confirm damning text messages were not sent by him to the SA players . He could not confirm , meaning they were almost certainly sent .

Probably won't be the last we hear of KP , when/if he might be selected again is anyones guess .

Without him England will either slump further or be renewed . I guess now England won't risk 5 batsmen , and play both Taylor and Bairstow , Swann must play and drop one of the seamers ,

We'll see.

Mikeyboy

We will definitely miss KP in the final test as he is an amazing player but if the reports are true then he needs to be dropped and realise that the team is bigger than any player.

Strauss really needs a big score and a positive team performance or the vultures will start to circle and campaign for Cook to take the mantle.

Must win test for England started today at lords SA batted and at close 262-7 , and both sides could be fairly happy at the end of play , a good close of play score for SA after being 54-4 and England would be hoping to bat well before lunch on friday .

SA only need to draw the game to win series and take over number 1 test ranking . I don't see this game being a draw as it swung , seamed and turned on the first day ! England need to do most of their batting in the first innings . Game on .

Mikeyboy

who is winning this? i cant understand the game............i put a 100 on sth africa.

Saffers on top, England are struggling, they will have to fight hard to make a competitive first innings score otherwise i think the Africans will run away with this one.

If Bell and Bairstow can build a solid partnership then we may scrape a small lead but its just difficult to see us winnign this test.

On a seperate note - Onions is pushing hard for a recall as he took 9 wickets and a run out yesterday in the domestic league. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this in a single innings before?

who is winning this? i cant understand the game............i put a 100 on sth africa.

If you dont know the rules/laws i hope it was 100 satangs you're talking about !!

Mikeyboy

Saffers on top, England are struggling, they will have to fight hard to make a competitive first innings score otherwise i think the Africans will run away with this one.

Agree , England have to at least match SA on first innings . 187-5 now and tail will have to wag ..

Mikeyboy

Agree , England have to at least match SA on first innings . 187-5 now and tail will have to wag ..

Mikeyboy

We have a good tail who are used to scoring big, so its not all over yet but I'm worried

how many more days until this is finished?

I bet KP has a big smile on his dial :GoldenSmile1:

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Any idea how many more days till this is finished....I just want to collect on my winnings !

Any idea how many more days till this is finished....I just want to collect on my winnings !

Have to wait a while yet , test matches can last 5 days ( til mon. evening )

Try the horses for a punt , 5-10 mins max .

Mikeyboy

England will be bowled out today before lunch . Then South Africa will bat again and get a reasonable score and send England in to bat again on the fifth day .It will be either a draw or a win for South Africa which will put them at the No 1 spot as the best test side .

this cricket game is still going................surely sunday is the last day?

Today is the 3rd day , last day is Monday .South Africa 308 - England 288/7 at lunch , will be a tight game if England get more runs than South Africa in the 1st innings .

update please..................who is winning.........and how long to go?

I'd imagine anything over 250 will be tough to run down for england. The pitch doesn't look like it's holding too many demons but no one has really gone on with it after getting a start.

I wouldn't fancy facing steyn if the wicket starts getting a bit up and down.The first session will be crucial as England have to make some early inroads.

England to chase 346 to win test . Plenty of time to do it in , but will be very tough .

Suggest now is as good a time as any , for Cook , Strauss and Trott to score big .

SA will look for early breakthroughs tonight

Ps. KP played for Surrey today in a one day match and was bowled first ball .

As i write eng 5-1 cook lbw philander

Mikeyboy

Well it looks like tomorrow will be a massive battle and I doubt we will salvage the series - fair play to SA, they have been amazing and have shown that we need to raise our game.

Two wickets down and the only person smiling is probably KP.

I'll be there tomorrow cheering on the boys as its only £20 and a perfect way to enjoy my first day of unemployment. Hopefully there will be a big crowd and a decent atmosphere.

First day of unemployment? :question1: