Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Running Script issue

philobert

Hello,

I live in a rather small area where I only have 3G wifi and it's dreadfully slow. when I try to log on from home it takes forever and I get a microsoft note saying the "site is taking a long time to load due to a long running script". occasionally I can stop the script at this point (there's a button) and the board will load, other times it times out (or something) and I get an error and the page won't load. I'm not sure what the script is but once I stop it (if I am able to) the board seems to load and run fine. when I get somewhere that has a stronger wifi signal the board seems to load with no issue (I do not get this note/error).

What I am curious about is if there is some way I can permanently disable the 'script' from running on my login (or in my prefence's, etc) so it's easier for the board to load on my slower (home) wifi's?

thanks

cheers

bert

Edited by philobert

Pattaya's dead.  You read it here1st.

no help from the mod's or admin then?

bert

I'll ask for you. It would help us immensely if you could tell us the name of the script. In meantime you could try Firefox with the noscript add-on. Hopefully you should be able to stop the offending script from running.

I may try fire fox, I currently only use explorer.

windows doesn't say what the script is, it just notes it as a "long running script"

thx for the response.

cheers

bert

The main page here takes 30 seconds to load on my system anytime I go to it. It's very frustrating. All other pages are ok and this is the only website that this happens.

If you use Chrome or Safari, use the Web Inspector and check script profiler - on this page I'm seeing 14 javascript files, 3 of which are large and do pretty much the same thing (scriptaculous, prototype and jquery). And that's just the local files - there are 4 external tracking files (Facebook Connect, Google Analytics, Google+ and MaxMind) and they may not all run as asynchronous scripts...lots of stuff here that can slow things down.

If you use Chrome or Safari, use the Web Inspector and check script profiler - on this page I'm seeing 14 javascript files, 3 of which are large and do pretty much the same thing (scriptaculous, prototype and jquery). And that's just the local files - there are 4 external tracking files (Facebook Connect, Google Analytics, Google+ and MaxMind) and they may not all run as asynchronous scripts...lots of stuff here that can slow things down.

You can also try gradually restricting scripts in Internet Explorer and see if that helps. It doesn't hurt to know what scripts you are allowing in IE anyway. The below link may be helpful.

http://www.google.co...44&bih=855&bs=1

Edited by CyberPro

It'd be a good start if the admins could at least decide which single Javascript library to use and tailor the site to only use it.

In the early days of Javascript library there were a bunch of competing project: Prototype.js, MooTools, Scriptalicious, jQuery (to name a few)…and in the end jQuery won. It's getting faster, smarter and smaller each year - the others acquiesced and pretty much stopped trying around 2010. Anyway, if you need a library to build your web tools and effects on, jQuery is it.

But don't you know, we use 3 here.

Those three I previously mentioned, scriptaculous, prototype and query, will get loaded before any script or page code runs. Right now Prototype and the particular Scriptaculous libraries eat up the first 230K of any page. Why I mention is it that it's wasted - jQuery is being loaded at the same time and can pretty much replace those other 2, shaving off a quick 230K. Adding a library to downscale photos to a max size (a max height & width * dpi) can make a massive effect here too.

Right now there's a bunch of tailoring that could go into making it a faster, better site because the world is going mobile and it needs to. I get the impression from the cleaned-up header that perhaps it's happening - I always offer help but never hear back, so I assume the admins have it in hand and are doing their thing.

Edited by Woofiee