Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

frankie9

Singapore Geylang Hotel Info Wanted

frankie9

cheap and close to the action!

any tips anyone?im in town for the formula one for 5 nights.

thanks

geezerrb

I have no actual experience but did a lot of research about Geylang as I am going for the GP and staying 4 nights.I am a newbie.

I dont know what you call cheap but because of the GP every hotel charges about double normal rates, I am staying at a fragrance group hotel in Lorong 6. I picked this because it is on the outer area of the RL district and did not want to be totally in thick of it, when it can just be a short walk away.

The hotel is 3KM (just over a mile) from where the track is laid out in the marina/harbour area. I got advice from people who have experience of Sin GP, that particularly race night the transport system and roads can get "grid locked" to the point were you can walk there faster, in safety because from Lorong 6 it is a main road with good "sidewalks" etc.

I have also paid extra although on my own, for a "family room" as I have been told these rooms are usually in quiet part of hotel, as a lot of hotels in Geylang are often used as ST room venues by the street girls, not that I will not be trying to have a piece of that action. Motor racing and "mongering" in the same place "heaven".

By the way if you have not had the info, Friday 21st practice 1, 18:00-19:30. Practice 2, 21:30-23:00.

Saturday practice 17:00-18:00 Qualifying starts 20:00

Sunday Race 20:00

I may be going on a bit now and sorry if you are already are aware, you cannot take food or drink through the gates you have to buy it from trackside vendors which I am told is very expensive.I have been told there is a 7/11 under a bridge/overpass in the track area that sells food and drink at nearly normal "store" prices.

frankie9

hey,thanks for your answer.i was at the race last year!and yes you are right regarding the prices.

i saw they had hotel81 in gellang for 60usd a night so thats probably where i will end up!

unless someone comes up with a better choice..

geezerrb

I do not think you will better that price, mine equals $80 per night but as I mentioned it is a "family room", I did originally book 81 Palace but got advice that with the higher volume of trade for the "Geylang" street girls because of the GP a lot of rooms are pre-booked by pimps for ST use, so can get busier and noisier and the surrounding area can be "very busy". OK that can be fun or it can be a nuisance particularly when taking in to consideration time spent "trackside". Anyway enjoy and maybe we can swap and post experiences of September at later date.

andyaus

There are two hotel chains in Geyling.... hotel 81 and Fragrant

I will often book a room for an overnight stop over but I gotta say that the rooms are very basic. On the lower floors they rent rooms by the hour and have a plastic sheet on the mattress. I have tried half a dozen of these and they all seem the same. If you just want a bed and a shower then it is ok.....but staying for 3 days might be depressing.

vidman

Funny enough just round the corner from the "fragrance hotels" (i think it was emerald i stayed) is a bar where all the isaan girls hang out.

geezerrb

There are two hotel chains in Geyling.... Hotel 81 and Fragrant

I will often book a room for an overnight stop over but I gotta say that the rooms are very basic. On the lower floors they rent rooms by the hour and have a plastic sheet on the mattress. I have tried half a dozen of these and they all seem the same. If you just want a bed and a shower then it is ok.....but staying for 3 days might be depressing.

Yea hence why I paid extra for "family room" away from the short time rooms particularly were business for pimps and pre booked short time rooms booked to maybe cover 8=12 street girls business during the Sin GP peak period.

Funny enough just round the corner from the "fragrance hotels" (i think it was emerald i stayed) is a bar where all the isaan girls hang out.

Although I think from info given they are all likely to be busy during Gp please try and remember the bar name, I love Isaan girls.

icanfly

I just stayed at hotel 81 classic for 2 nights. It was about $85 Australia per night including taxes. hotel was adequate very small room but clean, queen size bed air con and shower over bath. No fridge and no in room safe. Nearby is 7 eleven, big supermarket, bars and restaurants. However as far as punting goes I was quite confused. I read a few people on this area staying there before and that it is a red light district but to be honest the whole 3 days say about 2 white people. All the rest seemed to be locals or other asians. Makes no sense they have so many hotels in the area, who is staying there?

Also noticed all the street walkers did not approach or want to talk to me. Weird.. So I didn't even try mongering here.. Is this the normal for this area?

frankie9

im going for the formula one,and then of to malaysia,indonesia,cambo and pattaya

so for me is just about staying somewhere for 70usd a night instead of 300$

as far as mongering,i will just see what happens...

and i also like staying in an area with people and energy!

i was here a year ago at the F1 so every hotel price goes up 30% because of that.

posted in another topic regarding orchard towers.

trying to post a picture but i dont know how...pathetic i know...

999Baht

Any other recommendations that have a safe?

I have tickets to go there for 4 days in a couple of weeks.

Still undecided if I'm going to go or not.

Jai Yen

Got my tickets for the 3 day pass for F1 too and looking forward to it...

Don't really like Geylang, not the most friendly of places if you are looking for company. Seems to be targeted at locals and Asians rather than us farangs or Ang mo as we are known by here. I know it's more expensive but I prefer Orchard towers.

You can post a pic by clicking on the more reply options - chose file button - once you locate the picture on your computer click attach file - then click add to post.

geezerrb

Any other recommendations that have a safe?

I have tickets to go there for 4 days in a couple of weeks.

Still undecided if I'm going to go or not.

Cannot help there, noticed all more "budget" hotels are safety deposit box at reception and personally I think this can be better option than electronic safe that staff have "reset" key availabilityand are often "bolted to shelf in wardrobe that can be wrenched out.

999Baht

Cannot help there, noticed all more "budget" hotels are safety deposit box at reception and personally I think this can be better option than electronic safe that staff have "reset" key availabilityand are often "bolted to shelf in wardrobe that can be wrenched out.

Cheers mate.

With these safety deposit boxes would they fit an iPad and do you need to (or can you) to bring your own padlock?

gentleenforcer

Pearl Fragrance for me...it cost me about Aud $55 per night in a fairly handy location...Lorong 14.

geezerrb

Cheers mate.

With these safety deposit boxes would they fit an iPad and do you need to (or can you) to bring your own padlock?

They vary in size hotel to hotel I have seen some where you would get an i pad in corner to corner and others too small. You would not need a padlock its a 2 key system ,the hotel has a master key and when you have a box the actual box key is passed to your care, often you have to pay a refundable deopsit on the key in case you lose it then you lose your deposit. I know some hotels will take laptops etc into their safe or secure storage but I do not think your covered for loss by them, so make sure your own travel insurance does.

As to whether you use your tickets or not, I am a bit of an adventurer so I would be tempted but admit having researched the Singapore scene I do not class it as a "mongering" place, yes the prostitution is rife but seems mainly the ST type and is quite expensive compared to Pattaya. I will sample some but only going because of the Sin GP.

frankie9

my impression of singapore was that its probably one of the safest places ive been.

that said,of course you have to use common sence,but the idea that someone would pry the safe out of your hotel...?

i dont think so.

999Baht

Pearl Fragrance for me...it cost me about Aud $55 per night in a fairly handy location...Lorong 14.

I need to chat to you about this and everything Singapore very soon mate.

I'll know better if I will be heading in a couple of weeks once the rosters come out.