IGNORED

Slow / Unreliable TOT Internet connection

proky

I posted the following on my Pattaya Rag blog today but it has worked so well that it could benefit a wider audience:

I installed Winamp 5.5 recently and it also installed Bonjour Services by stealth which auto loads every time I boot my PC. Bonjour appears to monitor my network but what else it does I'm not sure. Given the problems I've been having lately with my Internet connection I decided to delete Bonjour Services. I'm desperate enough to try anything. My problems appear to have cleared and my connection is now far more reliable. So either TOT fixed a problem with their service at the exact same moment I rebooted my PC after deleting Bonjour Services or Bonjour Services were the cause of all my problems.

If you're having problems with your Internet connection, check to see if you have Bonjour Services running, (ctrl/alt/del and select the processes tab). If Bonjour is listed in your processes then you might have found your problem. You can use nCleaner to permanently remove Bonjour. Start nCleaner, select "Startup Man" and then the "Systems" tab and look for the Id string listed in red below. Untick this option and select "Apply". Close nCleaner and reboot your system and check your Internet connection:

System Services

( ) Alerter (c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe)

( ) Application Layer Gateway Service (c:\windows\system32\alg.exe)

( ) Application Management (c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe)

( ) ASP.NET State Service (c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe)

(x) Ati HotKey Poller (c:\windows\system32\ati2evxx.exe)

(x) ATI Smart (c:\windows\system32\ati2sgag.exe)

(x) Windows Audio (c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe)

(x) Background Intelligent Transfer Service (c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe)

( ) ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsresponder.exe)

Ed

Pattaya Rag blog (pattayarag.blogspot.com)