jonross

Take a train from Malasia to Thailand

jonross

I have been looking to travel on a train from Malaysia thru Singapore and stop in Thailand. Has anybody done that? I would like to know about each different stops for a short hotel stay and party a little in each country.

Helloblackshirt

Never done it but all the travel advice I get from smarttraveller.gov.au advises against traveling in the south of Thailand due to violence/bombings etc, then again they pretty much advise against traveling anywhere in Thailand

Never done it but all the travel advice I get from smarttraveller.gov.au advises against traveling in the south of Thailand due to violence/bombings etc, then again they pretty much advise against traveling anywhere in Thailand

andyaus

I have been looking to travel on a train from Malaysia thru Singapore and stop in Thailand. Has anybody done that? I would like to know about each different stops for a short hotel stay and party a little in each country.

I think you might want to check out a map first. Starting in Malaysia and going to Thailand you would probably have got on the wrong train if you went through Singapore. ...Just saying is all. :Oops5:

Ste86

Hehehe, like the guy above said - it would be singapore -> malaysia -> thailand.

I've done Penang (Butterworth) to Bangkok. The trip was fine with the sleeper. Good value to, although it will take up a full day of your trip.

I'd have no problems doing it again, the border crossing is all very efficient. No complaints.

neo1011

Hehehe, like the guy above said - it would be singapore -> malaysia -> thailand.

I've done Penang (Butterworth) to Bangkok. The trip was fine with the sleeper. Good value to, although it will take up a full day of your trip.

I'd have no problems doing it again, the border crossing is all very efficient. No complaints.

what sort of price was that trip mate? i'm in los for a month in december so a few days in penang sounds good as a side trip..

Ste86

what sort of price was that trip mate? i'm in los for a month in december so a few days in penang sounds good as a side trip..

Ah I'm not sure. I did it a few times in 2009. Penang was OK, good food, and excellent coffee - on par with vietnam - but there's not a whole lot going on there. If you've not been before it's probably worth checking out, but I've been a few times and I'm all done going there now.

A simple search does it, the best Asian train site on the net

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

Buy your tickets, check the time, up to you

Like splitpin said, seat61 is pretty much the daddy when it comes to train info in asia.

Edited by Ste86

allwet

I did this trip from Penang to Bangkok a few months ago. I beleive it was in the neighborhood of $35 for lower berth. It is relatively safe provided you take this route. I would stay away from taking the less traveled eastern route.

It's possible to take the train from Singapore to Bangkok in 2 or 3 legs stopping in KL and Penang. Word of warning, the trains in Malaysia are incredibly slow and inefficient compared to the buses. The leg from Penang to BKK is fine because it is operated by Thai Railways.

Check out the man in seat 61 for more details.

kd_traveller

Did the train journey in Southern Thailand a few years and there was additional security (armed soldiers in each carriage!) on the train for a few hundred Kms from the Malaysian border until well into Thailand.

jonross

I think you might want to check out a map first. Starting in Malaysia and going to Thailand you would probably have got on the wrong train if you went through Singapore. ...Just saying is all. :Oops5:

You are right, I should have seen the mistake on there. Was just pecking away and didn't notice it. Even though I've visited all the countries mention, but not by trains. One of the girls that I've met told me about the train trip, so I just want more information on it before making the decision.

Edited by jonross

andyaus

No problems mate...just taking the piss. I like train journeys and if I had the time would like to do the trip but it would be better with a Thai girl for company.

Good luck

splitpin

15 odd years ago the train to Butterworth was the visa express for most expats, before cheap flights and border runs to Cambodia, you used to be able to get 6 month tourist visa very easy in Penang. I have had many a good night sitting drinking in the restaurant car on the way down, nice bed made up about 10pm. 24 hour journey, but a great experience

flynn

Done it the other war around,, getting off along the way, great trip,

Micky2

Yes, I have done Singapore to Bangkok once, Bangkok to Singapore a couple of times, and various sections between both ways several times. It is an interesting, unhurried way to go, and fairly easy to organise.

The Thai line runs between Bangkok and Butterworth, just across the water from Penang. From there to Singapore it is the Malaysian railway system, which is more modern than the Thai one.

In Malaysia and Thailand rail travel is quite foreigner friendly and straight forward. Just decide where you want to go, rock up to the station, buy your ticket and away you go. I think both countries may have some sort of a multi-day rail pass, but I have not researched it.