Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thinking about being a teacher in Thailand?

All true, but don't forget the corporate and exam (IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, IGCSE, TOEIC) markets. Pretty easy to find work if you're TEFL qualified with some experience and the pay can be good.

Top detail again matey.

The 'e' word always worries me. Getting a foot in the door is the hardest part, as I'm sure you know!

The only syllabus experience I have is GCSE, A-level AQA & City & Guilds (cough).

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

Here's a glimpse into what teaching was like in the 1970s, before modern student centred teaching methods, backed up by RCTs, which sent knowledge retention rates into the stratosphere, only to be eclipsed by 21st century over-testing, which encouraged surface learning in order to pass exams; no knowledge retained & a record low numeracy & literacy rate for our precious children.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2un9rO2ZF4g?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2un9rO2ZF4g?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2un9rO2ZF4g?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sgu_banner.gif

As I understood it, Public University lecturer's pay is fixed by the government circa 25000B. Of course, this may be for as low as 4 teaching hours a week, hence the lucrative opportunities for OT.

How strict are they on the Masters?

Nowadays not very strict on the Masters. Helps if you have it, but experience can make up for it. The public unies' pay scale was set in 1992 - 17,500 salary and 8,000 housing = 25,500. The Ministry of Universities has refused to increase it (and I think the pols even were trying to do away with the MoU and put the unies under the MoE). But almost all of the unies will add something to the government pay. If I remember right Chulalongkorn adds 8,000 a month, Mahidol 5,000, Thammasat 3,000. The extra classes is where you do well, especially the international classes (all taught in English).

I'll pass on a tip from a friend who teaches - he said lots of folks are hesitant to apply to Thammasat because the undergrad classes are now at Rangsit, north of Bangkok. But the English Language Institute always needs people and if you can put up with riding a van out to Rangsit and back 4 days a week you can really load up on the extra classes. The so-called Rachaphat Universities don't seem to have as much extra work, but there are something like 50 of them in the country! Easy to get hired by a Rachaphat outside of Bangkok.

Edited by Sam Hill