IGNORED

Need to Buy apartment, any nice cities like Pattaya without the adult playground vibe?!

The girl I was seeing in Thailand has fallen pregnant, and so it looks like Im going to be spending a lot more time in Thailand than I thought!

I am wanting to find a nice place to buy an apartment and wondering if anyone can recommend some nice cities?

I love Pattaya, but its not exactly the place I would want a child to grow up in, and also I wouldnt feel comfortable with family coming over and getting the wrong impression of the place and people, basically a Pattaya without all the bar girls would be fucking perfect.

I am looking for something near the beach, a place with apartments so I have the opportunity to buy, modern and a bit luxurious. Fast ADSL must be available too. I love that Pattaya is not so spread out.. and you have all the luxuries of western cities, great cinemas, hospital, etc. Also I guess good schools will also be necessary. Would love to hear some advice on some cities similar to Pattaya without so much of the adult playground vibe.

Cheers,

Alex

For family growing up the Darkside is great, lots of international schools available and lots of activities for kids to get into. Once you step away from Pattaya the these types of facilities drop of considerably. You could try Sriracha (going towards Bangkok) or Sathahip (going the other way) which will keep you close enough to Schools. Provincial cities like Rayong and Chonburi don't have much for western facilities but if that doesn't bother you you could try them. If your looking for small then Bang Chang has a couple international schools and local to the beach.

I have had my family here out in the Darkside for over 5 years and we rarely go in to Pattaya and go no where near the "adult playground vibe". Most people I know (working professionals and retirees) in Thailand have nothing to do with the adult side of of things after the first year so don;t think that that is all there is when living in Pattaya.

OMG. Bring her and the kid to Australia.....if you have to be in Thailand FFS, rent or you will seriously regret it later I reckon.

Hua Hin

Cha Am

Phuket

Chiang Mai (no beach_

Stevxpl, thanks for the advice mate, perfect! Ill have a look at those places. I just meant like imagine inviting the Parents over, then them going down to beach rd for a nice dinner, lol they will get the shock of their lives. Then again I have told them how crazy it is... what is the Dark Side?! Ill have to do some searches,

LRanger, not that simple, to be honest only dated her for 3 months, I am definitely not ready for a kid, but shes buddhist and wont get an abortion, plus she loves kids and wants to be a Mum. Its not a scam or anything she is a uni educated girl, and said if I dont want to be involved I can just walk away, but I cant do that, and I actually like the girl.. was definitely not thinking this though... crazy times, and still early..

Ok so the alternative strategy could be to have her live with mum and dad and you send some money for a while, then you have some space to see if it is going to work long-term....

And yes there's plenty around the Pattaya district as Steve says, apart from the bar culture.

Need to have a huge clear think about this one before you get solidly locked in.

Cheers LRanger, you give better advice than my mates, I am going back next week to see her in Thailand and have a good talk, I will also have a look around pattaya and try to find some nice areas that I wouldnt mind living. It might be a great life living 6 months here and 6 months there, I just want to do the right thing, dont want to be the guy that runs off and forgets about it, I really want to support her decision and the child, I gotta work out whats best.

Appreciate your advice,

I wouldn't specifically advise you not to buy, but don't put the condo/house in the name of your Thai GF or wife!

Then about the place to live, it depends mainly on 2 things:

- your financial means

- your projects for the child, i.e. should the child be tought at an international school or at a Thai school?

If you opt for Thai school, I would suggest Hua Hin.

If you opt for international school, you only have 2 options: Pattaya and Phuket (because Chiang Mai and Bangkok are not near the beach as you wish)

It will be much easier for you to find the non-seedy environment in Phuket than in Pattaya, but Phuket is very expensive, especially in the nicer areas (between 50% and 100% more than Pattaya for comparable properties and services), and there are only one or two international Schools.

Around Pattaya, there are much more international schools (at least 3 or 4) with different pricing options to chose from, as well as much infrastructure catering to foreigners (shops, hospitals...)

If you want to be away from bars, I would suggest looking into Bang Saray, only 15 mins away from the good Pattaya infrastructure, and it has affordable property near the beach.

About buying property:

- the number one thing to avoid is putting it in your GF's or wife's name

- if today you aren't too sure about how things will develop, rent.

now I will be stepping a little on thinner ice, many posters will not agree with what I will write here:

- if you are sure you want to stay in Thailand, sort out your visa situation (how old are you?) and think about buying a house, because the investment will usually pay for itself completely in less than 10-12 years.

- Condos that can be put in foreign name have a huge premium in the pricing and are usually not worth the money, except the low-end condos that are sold for less than 1m THB.

- buy a house that has already been put in the name of a company (this will avoid stamp duties and avoid scrutiny at the land office)

- use a reputable lawyer to handle everything and find the nominees for you (the service costs about 15k a year)

what can happen:

if the matter that a foreigner owns land through a company is brought to the attention of a court in such a way that the fact cannot be ignored (i.e. through inheritance, divorce splitting, case involving the land-owning company, etc.), the foreigner will be ordered to transfer the land to a Thai name (through a sale or otherwise transfer). This already happened in the past.

At that moment, you can split the property, keep the house and transfer the land only, for example to your GF.

Ask a reputable lawyer about this.

As the investment pays itself off in about 10 to 12 years (if compared to the cost of renting), if you lose everything after 10 years, you will have the same result as if you had rented for 10 years.

Before buying anything, do a thorough risk analysis of your situation and what you can afford to lose if things get ugly.

manarak, a lot of great info there, really appreciate it. I am 28 years old, so the visa is going to be a real issue, But I think if I do the 6 months in Australia and 6 months in Thailand then it would be ok and I could keep just getting the 90 day education visa.

I would only buy in my name that is for sure, I am not sure about how easy and the money you would get for reselling in Pattaya, it seems like they are constantly building new apartment blocks so the market might be oversupplied soon and drive prices down. Hope not, I am actually liking the idea of Pattaya more and more, thinking of a Condo near Wong Amat beach might the way to go. I am not sure about house, dont want to have any issues with the company, etc, I will probably stick to apartments.

Yeah a lot of this will become clearer once I have talked with her and gone through the best options... its stilll so early, crazy how something like this completely changes your life, big shock to the system thats for sure!

in your case, you would be better off to make tourist visas instead of ED.

Each tourist visa is valid for 60 days, extendable by 30 days once and again by 7 days (second extension).

So if you time your travels in 3 month periods, you will only need tourist visas.

Wong Amat: there are bars right in the middle of there, near the grand mirage hotel.

It should be possible to reach your home without passing any bars though, for example by using Nukla soi 12 (sanctuary of truth).

Just don't use Pattaya Nua, coming from BKK, rather turn on Sukhumvit Rd to Naklua using either soi Banglamung Police Station or the next one, bigger road.

The decision between a house and a condo is a tough one.

For example, 8m THB will get you either a 3 bed 150 sqm condo with communal pool and management fees and possibly inflated prices for utilities, while the same money can get you a 5 bed 500 sqm house with a 75 sqm private swimming pool on the darkside, government rates for utilities and no issues with condo management.

I went the house in company name route - the difference compared to condos was just too huge and I believe that if the house was bought at a good price, it can be sold again at that good price.

What is the resell like in Pattaya? Do condos hold their value and go up in price over the years? If I bought a condo and then resold I would expect a profit, I hadnt even really thought of the possibility of losing money on it, but with the number of buildings going up in Pattaya you never know.

Cheers LRanger, you give better advice than my mates, I am going back next week to see her in Thailand and have a good talk, I will also have a look around pattaya and try to find some nice areas that I wouldnt mind living. It might be a great life living 6 months here and 6 months there, I just want to do the right thing, dont want to be the guy that runs off and forgets about it, I really want to support her decision and the child, I gotta work out whats best.

Appreciate your advice,

I'm married to a Thai, the good ones like mine can be great..... 6+6 is nice if you can do it.

And don't count on any property gain in Pattaya.

is there any good site to check out rental properties on the dark side?

What is the resell like in Pattaya? Do condos hold their value and go up in price over the years? If I bought a condo and then resold I would expect a profit, I hadnt even really thought of the possibility of losing money on it, but with the number of buildings going up in Pattaya you never know.

Unlikely that the price of any real estate will go up. There is plenty of building space, and few regulations.

If you do a real good deal on a well-built house (i.e. below building costs) and maintain it, you have good chances to resell at the same price.

I'd say it is more or less the same with condos, with the added burden of the high price premium.

for rental on the dark side, about 80-90k gets you a real nice house with private swimming pool.

check the sites of alan bolton, pattaya prestige properties, premier homes...

P.S. rental tends to be expensive too, despite of Thai interest rates being in the cellar. The market is on a dreamy cloud, the rental returns are at 8 to 11% a year (instead of the 3.5 to 4.5% seen in my home country), many properties stay empty, but the rates don't go down.

I am a cynical B and have seen and heard most of it

my GF does legal work and so I read most of it

I am truly surprised at most of it and the truism that men only have enough to run one head at a time is so so true

I agree dont buy

I agree dont send money

I agree wait to see what the kid looks like before u do ur dough

good heart translates to sucker here

I am truly surprised at most of it and the truism that men only have enough to run one head at a time is so so true

I agree dont buy

I agree dont send money

That's so true in many cases!

I agree dont buy

I agree dont send money

get the

Paternity DNA Testing !!!

I agree dont buy

I agree dont send money

Fair enough, I would think the same if I just read this post. I am more skeptical than most. I wont be buying until Paternity test anyway, which Im trying to find out where to do and the reliability, etc. But this girl is not a BG , I met her at her place of work which was a phone store in BKK, she goes to uni in BKK where she majors in English so her English is fluent, when she was with me she was staying with me for the entire time I was in Thailand only going back to BKK for Uni exams, Ive read the horror stories, very aware of the possible scams, but Im great judge of character and far from a sucker. Also when I was in my state of shock, asking her to get an abortion, she said that she couldn't do an abortion, but if I dont want to be involved I dont have to, she doesnt want any money or anything from me, she said I could just forget about her and live my own life in Australia, and she herself is saying she doesnt want me to buy in thailand, she just wants to go and live with her Mum.

I think many are jaded here because of there run ins with BGs, GGs, and FLs, forgetting that these type of girls wouldnt even be 4% of the thai population, there are a lot of great normal girls out there!

wisemonkey

Something not mentioned so far is it is quite normal here in Thailand when a baby is born the grandparents love to take care of the child, maybe just a short period or sometimes longer,this can give the new parents time to find things like where to live/work/schools etc. so take your time there is no need to rush at everything

Thanks MCH, I thought it was a bit strange for her wanting to move back with her Mum, but she was explaining her Mum can help her through the pregnancy and with the little baby and give advice as they been through it all before.. which is true, smart culture!

Wisemonkey: another piece of advice - important - make sure the docs stitch her pussy back after giving birth.

The western way of "letting it happen naturally" is all bullshit. One big cause of my conjugal troubles is that my wife's pussy got much bigger after two kids. Thai doctors can fix this right on the spot after the birth if asked to do so. Use that service unless your cock is of the bigger sort.

LoL! Ill keep that in mind if she does go down the natural path, at the moment she is saying that she wants to get a Caesarian section, which I have no problem with! :GoldenSmile1:

• 2 months later...

If I were in your shoes, then without a second thought I'd rent a nice place on the Darkside and see how things go. No way would I be thinking about buying a place with a TG I've only known a few months.

What's the rush? You have plenty of time to rent while the baby arrives and think your options through clearly. It's good you're taking responsibility but you also need to act responsibly for yourself. You are #1 and your TG is #2 (until the baby arrives - then he/she will become #2).

Statistically, the chances of this turning sour are greater than a happy ending - and that is regardless of how you're feeling now. Sorry buddy, but those are facts. Be calm and find yourself some space.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree rent now , buy or build much later. I have been with my Thai girl for almost eight years, and we are just now building a new home.

155237_324967130934457_379782146_n1.jpg

Archived