IGNORED

How do you defend yourself?

I know you can never hit or hurt any Thai person..If ever threatened or just plain getting your butt kicked by a raging girl punching,biting screaming or a Thai man thats pissed off at you for whatever reason--just how are you suspossed to defend yourself?

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

I know you can never hit or hurt any Thai person..If ever threatened or just plain getting your butt kicked by a raging girl punching,biting screaming or a Thai man thats pissed off at you for whatever reason--just how are you suspossed to defend yourself?

I'm not in a position to speak specifically about Thais, but some good motos to follow are (in order of choice):

"He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day".

"I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6"

I teach self-defence courses and one of the first lessons which applies to anywhere and anytime is to ask yourself two important questions..."Is it worth dying for?" and "Can I win?". Only if the answer to both questions is YES should you stay and fight. Otherwise...RUN and don't look back.

Sometimes the best defence is to admit that you're wrong, say you're sorry and walk away.

HBW

Edited by harrisblackwatch

I believe in a time when we can all live in a Harris-Free world!

1/ Never get into that kind of situation... if you treat people with respect, smile, and follow your instincts to stay away from the crazies, no-one will attack you... unless they are trying to rob you... very unusual and obviously a matter for the tourist police... keep their number on your phone.

2/ Always discouss exactly what you expect, and what you are prepared to pay when you are mongering... that way there will be no room for misunderstandings. If you have spent an evening in the affectionate company of a lady, and then decided not to pay bar for her, it may well be appropriate to give her a tip to show that you appreciated her company.

3/ If the worst comes to the worst... run away... it's that simple... if you lose face visably, that will usually be enough to satisfy whoever is pissed off with you. (And always pay your check bin before leaving a bar... even at a run!)

Murg

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

Thais are extremely laid back and are very difficult to piss off to the point they would want to fight you. Unless you are an ass hole its highly unlikely the situation will arise.

Edited by Pharang_bah
Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

I'm not in a position to speak specifically about Thais, but some good motos to follow are (in order of choice):

I teach self-defence courses and one of the first lessons which applies to anywhere and anytime is to ask yourself two important questions..."Is it worth dying for?" and "Can I win?". Only if the answer to both questions is YES should you stay and fight. Otherwise...RUN and don't look back.

Sometimes the best defence is to admit that you're wrong, say you're sorry and walk away.

HBW

Hard to say your sorry if the act is robbery!!

If I'm sure that I'm going to get my ass handed to me, turned inside out, if I resist a robbery, I'm apologizing to the robber for having "HIS" money in my pocket and hopefully that will be that. If I'm going to take a beating anyway, I'm going down fighting.

HBW

Thais are extremely laid back and are very difficult to piss off to the point they would want to fight you. Unless you are an ass hole its highly unlikely the situation will arise.

Twice the situation did arise in nearly 8 yrs living here..Once it was robbery and the other a drunk jealous Thai boyfriend..

For me touch wood never been in a fight with a Thai Man.

But the best advice would be unless your both alone in the middle of knowWhere & hes really breaking ur balls then UP TOO YOU.

I know its hard to keep your pride in check but believe me u will be out numberd & they wont think twice about sticking u in the back.

Am talking about Los.

Edited by Kenshi

I want to lick Edna Krabappel`s Pussy....

Principal Seymour Skinner

Proud to be a member http://www.lmhr.org.uk/about/anl.html

Can you help please? http://www.baan-kingkaew-orphanage.org/mission.html

Take at look at this site if u care?

http://www.isara.org/

lbfucker.gif

Visit My Website

When my thai missus starts kicking off I say " fancy going shopping luv" , all is resolved.

Exactly, offer a bribe of some sort!

Then put on your Forest Gump shoes and run!

I once had an issue near Soi 2- turned on Beach Road and a bunch of LB's came at me. I politely said I wasn't interested AT ALL (I think there were about 6 of them) and walked out to the street. It was a little hostile getting away from them, so I left the sidewalk onto the street trying to grab a taxi. One waited in the shadows against the wall and was staring at me. I jumped on the next taxi and left. F that. After that, I was smarter about where I walk drunk- stay in the light, forget Beach Road where its dark, taxi and be aware of your surroundings. Im not fighting 1 LB, let alone 6 of them.

That was my only incident so far. Aside from that, everything has been good. I'm 6"2, atheletic build, but I move out of the way of Thai guys. I dont want to mess with them- ever. Ive heard all the stories- you wont win a fight because suddenly there's 10 on you. Be respectful and go under the radar- that's my approach and it works.

Few years ago during songkran i was on my Jack walking down soi 7 when this little prick of a Thai slapped me in the face with a handfull of white powder.

I wanted 2 pick him up & break him in half :unsure:

But i just carried on walking even tho my eyes were stinging like mad.

I want to lick Edna Krabappel`s Pussy....

Principal Seymour Skinner

Proud to be a member http://www.lmhr.org.uk/about/anl.html

Can you help please? http://www.baan-kingkaew-orphanage.org/mission.html

Take at look at this site if u care?

http://www.isara.org/

lbfucker.gif

Visit My Website

As was said earlier in this thread your energy would be better spent avoiding any conflict. Thais take quite a while to wind up but if you succeed in doing so they will think nothing of jumping a Farang mob handed. Take special care with the ones who work in the bars and have become bored with drunken tourists.

Up country my advice would be to avoid drinking with groups of drunken Thai men if you are not with somebody who knows them. In 20 years of visiting the LOS the only close shaves I have had all started with the phrase "Hey you, whiskey Thailand" as an invitation to join them in a drinking session. Invariably the invite comes when they are close to the bottom of the bottles and guess who will be expected to buy the next? Most Thai men do not take their drink too well (It has been scientifically proved that oriental races have a lower tolerance to alcohol even if you adjust for body weight) and they will often ask you awkward or testy questions. Best to just avoid this type of situation with a polite refusal to join them.

As I said, I have only had a couple of near incidents in twenty years of mongering, getting drunk and being a prat myself sometimes in Thailand. It is not a hard place to avoid problems if you are not a hot head.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Whilst Im more than qualified to defend myself in most circumstances, I never look for a fight without reason but sometimes, u have NO CHOICE..U may be outnumbered or outsized at sometime and the ideal way is to avoid conflict and walk away-if u have the chance to. At a time when I dont have that opportunity I will never and have never just stood and got an asskicking-I have taken some shots where it was 6 against me but at the same time, I hospitalised 3 of them until the security in a nightclub got involved. I have blackbelts in 6 different marial arts, with over 20 years experience aswell as being a professional fighter in arguably the most dangerous sport in the world.

Funny enough, Ive never had a problem with any thai in thailand, have had a few run ins with french guys in Patong, on 3 occasions. I was always outnumbered-until I put one of the guys on his ass, then the odds were suddenly more in my favour because the others shit themselves, and I always came out on top.:-)

As far as getting into it with any of the local thais-I seriously don't advise it-If the guy doesnt kick your ass with muaythai-their national sport, you will likely find yourself at a huge disadvantage with the number of guys against u.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - "it was just the internet.." is not an excuse.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, good advice.

I've never been in a situation where I feared for my safety. Except, of course, with a jealous girl, and the shopping bit always worked.

And I agree, stay away from the LB, because when I was there before, ALL the news stories where farang got ripped off or hurt, it was in dealing with ladyboys.

All the best,

jH

I will never fight a Thai man or woman unless it's a life or death situation. I will always chose to either run or pay off the person first. Maybe I'm a pussy but it seems to work for me.

its simple just respect all thai people. just realise how lucky you are that there is a place like pattaya on this planet and enjoy yourself

• 2 weeks later...

HBW

would you run away from Harris Black or kick the little scrote in the gonads?

Edited by notstickman

• 2 months later...

Had to add my contribution,

I've been in Korea for almost three years now. The one time I got into a serious altercation I was the one trying to dissolve the animosity between my good drinking buddy and some random Korean dude who mistakenly thought my pal was talking about his wife. I stepped in to peacefully resolve the situation and got a lovely fat lip from the guy head butting me out of the blue. The fact that I was 1/2 sheet to the wind piss drunk didn't help as I proceeded to pummel this guy's ear into cauliflower. I was really drunk, as I said, and my aim was off. I wanted to push his face in with my fist. Needless to say, cops were called; Korean was spoken in earnest, no translation available, I and my buddy were dragged to the police station and we both wound up having to pay a $2000 dollar fine just to rectify the situation without having to do jail time.

Had I just not punched the guy, or even better pummeled him and ran away very quickly, none of this would have ever happened. Better still if my buddy had just apologized for the imagined slight he wouldn't be still owing me a $1000 which I thought was fair sine I was covering his ass which got me both a fat lip and a hefty fine for it. In essence, your pride and ego in a foreign country is worth dick. Suck it up, say sorry, and move on to drink another night without incident.

Or just hit really hard and run away, really, really fast.

Roil.

Change is Eternal.

would you run away from Harris Black or kick the little scrote in the gonads?

Yes, I would run away from Harris Black. I would run slowly to be sure that he didn't lose sight of me and not very far because he doesn't look like he can run very well. I would run into a dead end so that I would be trapped and forced to defend myself. "And that's when I turned and beat the shit out of him, your Honour" would be my closing statement.

HBW

• 2 weeks later...

In Patts your more likely to get into a fight with a falang, I see it every time I go, 2 drunk fat guys fighting, well trying to fight. I also have taken many fighting classes and have always been taught to avoid or run, why? someone is always going to get hurt, hospital, pay big money, or worst yet get killed, go to prison, no of these are a good choice. If you do have to fight,fight and run guick, do not hang around, see how good you did, what for there friends to show up, what for the crowd to get involved, or the cops to show up! Bottom line no matter how good of a fighter you think you are avoid if at all posible.

Only had one , a Thai girl pulled a knife on me , i took it off her , to quick for her to see how i did it . she then said . i have your photo , i get Thai man to kill you. I said good if he not kill me i kill him , she just said o k . I changed my hotel , motor bike, and always took a diffrent way back to my hotel. . You never know , there Thai boyfriend may just do it...

Then put on your Forest Gump shoes and run!

I once had an issue near Soi 2- turned on Beach Road and a bunch of LB's came at me. I politely said I wasn't interested AT ALL (I think there were about 6 of them) and walked out to the street. It was a little hostile getting away from them, so I left the sidewalk onto the street trying to grab a taxi. One waited in the shadows against the wall and was staring at me. I jumped on the next taxi and left. F that. After that, I was smarter about where I walk drunk- stay in the light, forget Beach Road where its dark, taxi and be aware of your surroundings. Im not fighting 1 LB, let alone 6 of them.

That was my only incident so far. Aside from that, everything has been good. I'm 6"2, atheletic build, but I move out of the way of Thai guys. I dont want to mess with them- ever. Ive heard all the stories- you wont win a fight because suddenly there's 10 on you. Be respectful and go under the radar- that's my approach and it works.

I had a similar incident at the top of soi 7.I decided to walk home against the trafic on second road to soi diana.I was confronted/jostled,by about 4 or 5 ladyboys they grabed me i managed to pull them into the middle of the road and they let go i jumped onto a baht bus and got away.Ever since i've always caught baht bus to hotel,it's not worth the risk walking back late at night.

I was pushed into the moat by a young thai in Chaing Mai during the crazy Songkran holiday. When I got out everyone expected me to lash out but I kept my cool. Moments later I was asked to join the parade.

In Patts your more likely to get into a fight with a falang, I see it every time I go, 2 drunk fat guys fighting, well trying to fight. I also have taken many fighting classes and have always been taught to avoid or run, why? someone is always going to get hurt, hospital, pay big money, or worst yet get killed, go to prison, no of these are a good choice. If you do have to fight,fight and run guick, do not hang around, see how good you did, what for there friends to show up, what for the crowd to get involved, or the cops to show up! Bottom line no matter how good of a fighter you think you are avoid if at all posible.

along with all the other similar advice this is the best. I studied an indonesian martial art for a few years and as far as self defense goes it's all about not being in the situation in the 1st place. apologize (even if its not your fault), walk away, run away, exhaust all other options before getting into a fight, cause the last thing you want to deal with is legal (or medical) issues in a foreign country. and if you do have to fight, end it as quickly as possible and get the hell outta dodge.