IGNORED

bangpra or khao kheow ,and whats up with st andrews

chrism3nz

ill be arriving for a week of golf in july.i have already got a few courses lined up like siam cc, old and plantation and lam chabang. i have 2 more days of golf and id like to know from the regulars in the area if they had a choice of bangpra or khao kheow which one would they choose.i am a 7 handicap but not a long hitter. and has something happened with st andrews because i cant find their website or a phone number to call.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers

chris

cheers hawkeye. i never would have found it otherwise.will have to play green valley as well.

I like both courses, KK is a bit longer if i remember. I'm playing Bangpra tomorrow so will report back.

KK is an excellent course,my mates played at GV thru the week,and also said it was in excellent condition.

I played Phoenix yesterday,in good condition,although the Ocean 9 that has been closed for over 1 month,has reopened with GUR on some of the greens. KK or GV better than Bang Pra.

Bangprah is my favorite and probably one of the 5 best course around pattaya. Not only becaus you'll play with the monkeys ... KK is nice to. St Andrews 2000 is one of the three courses with Rayon Green Valley and now Silky Oaks. Phone number to book a tee-time is 038030660.

Have a good day.

thanks jim and jim for the advice. i was going to play bangpra but now im considering KK. I have played phoenix before and remember kind of enjoying myself.It had great views of that rock with the buddha on it. So far my week looks like KK , lam chabang, standrews, siam old, siam plantation and need one more to go on. anyone got a favourite i havnt mentioned. is greenwood,treasure hill or even wangjunt worth a look or should i just throw GV in there or phoneix. Can you even get onto treasure hill.It seems to be a members course and as usual i cant find their website.

cheers guys .

just read picnels view.monkeys are defianetly a plus.now i have no idea. bangpra or kaew keow.maybe i go both.picnel love the profile pic by the way a splitting image of mickey rourke.defianetly a paddy regular.

Unless your very long off the tee try Bang Pra. Very nice and very well kept. Laem Chabang is very beautiful but it's long off the stick as well. KK is sort of like miniature golf on a course. And don't walk. Several green to tee walks could take 15 minutes.

thanks drdoom. im pretty much set on bangpra.have you played greenwood and treasure hill.are they worth a look.for me the length of a course isnt a biggy.more important is the state of the greens.id rather have a average course in good condition than a great design thats being neglected.

Played both Treasure Hills and Greenwood many times and both are worth playing. Teasure Hills is not a members course and typically not crowded and easy to get on. Greenwood has 27 holes. I find TH more challenging than Greenwood and it can be difficult to score well as you move further back on the tees. Low season green fees should be good value.

Common sense is not very common.

Just got back from playing both courses.Kk is a bit tatty,compared to what it used to be.Bangpra is in real good shape,and still have the fastest greens around.Below the hole mate,keep it below the hole.Especially on number one.

thanks guys for the great advice.

i just got back from a week in phuket( scoping out a place to live) and played both blue canyon and red mountian.red mountain is a nice course( shot a 75 off the blues) but to shell out 5,500 baht is too much.i got on blue canyon for 3000 because a mate has a membership.beware right now at blue canyon they dont have buggys for the lakes course so you will have to walk either.i played the canyon twice and the rough is some of the thickest stuff ive seen. maybe they were getting into the us open spirit.

cant wait for patty.cheaper golf and better variety than Phuket. bangpra is first on the list and ill give treasure hills a go too as well as st andrews ,lam chabang and the 2 siam courses.

thanks guys for the great advice.

i just got back from a week in phuket( scoping out a place to live) and played both blue canyon and red mountian.red mountain is a nice course( shot a 75 off the blues) but to shell out 5,500 baht is too much.i got on blue canyon for 3000 because a mate has a membership.beware right now at blue canyon they dont have buggys for the lakes course so you will have to walk either.i played the canyon twice and the rough is some of the thickest stuff ive seen. maybe they were getting into the us open spirit.

cant wait for patty.cheaper golf and better variety than phuket. bangpra is first on the list and ill give treasure hills a go too as well as st andrews ,lam chabang and the 2 siam courses.

Perfect.You will love them.Siams a re a bit pricey,but look around some of the. Bars.They have sport days on Tuesday I think.Cheap cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect.You will love them.Siams a re a bit pricey,but look around some of the. Bars.They have sport days on Tuesday I think.Cheap cheap.

Old course sports day tuesday, Plantation on a wednesday. book early as they tend to get busy on the sports days.

I have been playing golf on these courses for the last 9 years & I would recommend from my point of view is Khao Kheow, Treasure Hill, Greenwood, Bangpra, St Andrews.. One problem with St Andrews the course is very soft if it rained for 2 or 3 days, if you have tranport you could play Treasure Hill & the next day Greenwood as they are neighbouring courses on Road 331.. Likewise the same goes for Khao Kheow & Bangpra just of Road 7, the odd one out is St Andrews in whom has Green Valley in the same place including Silky Oaks... Enjoy your holiday on the wonderful golf courses surrounding Pattaya......

thanks guys. i already had my week in pattaya. i drove a car around so transport wasnt a problem.

after arriving from hong kong on sunday we drove straight to bangpra. had a great game and its a very nice course but i was shocked at the length off the blue tees.some real brutes of par 4s.i think value for money it was the best course we played.

the next day we played laem chabang which is a nice course and i found it the easiest of the 6 courses.

then we got the 2 sports days on the old course and plantation.both courses are immaculate condition and my pick of the 2 would be plantation.the holes are more interesting and it seemed a bit more relaxed. the old course had a very stuck up feel about it and the course design is so so. first hole and second hole on each nine are complety identical.and all our caddies had a deer in the headlights look.it was as if they have been trained to speak only when spoken too.and when you have to spend 5 hours with one it becomes a bit awkward.i think the club needs to loosen up a bit.

then off to st andrews . this isnt my first time to patty and i have played st andrews a few times and every time i play well. i am off a 6 handicap and i had a shocker of a round the day before on the old course and shot maybe 90 .then i shoot 3 over on st andrews.the course just sets up well for me.my only complaint is the red ants.they seem to be swarming there.

then we decided to play emerald.this course is easily the toughest.we started off the back 9 and i went off the back tees.what a mistake that was.i could barely see the gap between the trees of my tee off.i relented to the white tees for the turnaround and it felt doable.not sure i like the cowgrass on the course but it is a interesting course.and for 700 baht you cant complain.a big plus for us was that you can ride with your partner instead of this 1 player 1 buggy rule.

all in all a great trip. you cant beat patty for a golf holiday.phuket doesnt even come close. in fact we are looking at moving there within the next year.

thanks for the advice guys.was a great help.im sure most of you are part of these golf societys wich ill defainetly join.so maybe we catch up one day.

by the way the thai food was great at lewinskys.

• 5 months later...

Archived