IGNORED

Caffeine Addict

jasonbalmer

Yes, I'm a Pattaya Addict, but I'm also a caffeine addict. Big time.

I like my coffee -- French Roast or Italian Roast -- fresh, black and very strong.

Especially in the morning (or more accurately, upon rising).

The instant stuff in those three in one packs that the hotels have just don't get it for me.

And for the most part, what I've found in the various restaurants and cafes isn't really quite there either.

I wouldn't mind bringing along my own grounds/beans if I knew I would have a suitable coffee maker available.

Nothing fancy, just a basic drip coffee maker like we have here in the states.

Do they sell such a thing in the markets there? at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Edited by jasonbalmer

I also like dark french roast drip coffee (Peet's to be exact). Buy your coffee maker at Big C (they only have 1 model, a 6-cup for 399 baht). You can buy good french roast at Foodland (Aroma dark or medium) for about 180 baht/pound.

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

I also like dark french roast drip coffee (Peet's to be exact). Buy your coffee maker at Big C (they only have 1 model, a 6-cup for 399 baht). You can buy good french roast at Foodland (Aroma dark or medium) for about 180 baht/pound.

Great news and info ---

We can't get Peet's here in the hinterlands.

Have to make do with that Moby Dick stuff.

many thanks for the info, zaph

Great news and info ---

We can't get Peet's here in the hinterlands.

Have to make do with that Moby Dick stuff.

many thanks for the info, zaph

Some more info. I went by Friendship Market on South Pattaya Road (just past Tuk Com) yesterday. Friendship market is very expensive (in fact, rip off overpriced on a lot of items). They had a massive selection of Aroma Coffee. They have coffees from Africa, etc. You will pay more for coffee at Friendship compared to Foodland, but you will find more gourmet coffees at Friendship. Stay away from purchasing coffee makers upstairs at Friendship. They are charging 4400 baht for a 10-cup drip filter coffee maker (Braun) and 4000 baht for a Braun coffee grinder (with attached storage cannister).

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

Yes, I'm a Pattaya Addict, but I'm also a caffeine addict. Big time.

I like my coffee -- French Roast or Italian Roast -- fresh, black and very strong.

Especially in the morning (or more accurately, upon rising).

The instant stuff in those three in one packs that the hotels have just don't get it for me.

And for the most part, what I've found in the various restaurants and cafes isn't really quite there either.

I wouldn't mind bringing along my own grounds/beans if I knew I would have a suitable coffee maker available.

Nothing fancy, just a basic drip coffee maker like we have here in the states.

Do they sell such a thing in the markets there? at a reasonable price?

Thanks

As already stated get the coffee maker from Big C or Tesco Lotus. Now for the coffee itself I reccomend the Hilltribe Coffee that is available at Foodland. Comes from the Thai Lao border and IMHO starts the day for me.

Jason, go to the newbie section, there is a string about coffee addicts with some really excellent post on this subject, also see my last post on that string about hotels and what you might try. :All_Good:

jacer

I brought my own little plunger and coffee. Like you I'm addicted to a good strong coffee . I brought mine from an outdoors store, I had the choice of a small one cup plunger or one cup dip. In pataya I just brought a small cheap electric kettle from the Big C department store.

I brought my own little plunger and coffee. Like you I'm addicted to a good strong coffee . I brought mine from an outdoors store, I had the choice of a small one cup plunger or one cup dip. In pataya I just brought a small cheap electric kettle from the Big C department store.

I brought mine from Europe. And the coffee too. On every trip, I bring a couple of bags with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Cash Converters up the escalotor at Carrefour supermarket on Pattaya Klang. They sell second-hand stuff like coffee machines and other gadgets.

Verbum sat sapienti est.

I too have the same addiction, but what I do i bring a small glass cafeterria and a mini Kettle, much better cup of coffee. You can buy some really good ground cofffee in Carefour and Big C etc. I leave stuff with a friend of mine save packing each time. Some milk in the fridge and sugar in an "ant-proof" jar, they love it if you leave it lying around. A few years back, I left out some sugar cubes on the table. I came back to the hotel one day and as I had the key in the door I saw a prominent line of ants filing underneath. Thousands of them all leading to the sugar lumps.

Grazel