IGNORED

Xylanic's story of how he has learned Thai...or, a beginner's course work and tools for self learning-How you can learn too

Xylanic

Thanks for that write-up Xylanic, awesome guide for us.

I've been using Pimsleur, i found out after i started that it's formal Thai, not street Thai. But i have found that because it is so repetitive, its getting me used to the sounds. As i'm going through it i seem to be picking it up quicker. I've also bought the David Smyth book but haven't started on it yet.

As far as the Thai podcasts, sign up for their newsletter, they seem to have 50% off sales every couple of months, $100 saving.

I think the main reason your learning so quickly is your drive and determination!! That's the thing i have to work on :)

Thanks for the news letter tip! Was just about to signup and buy it at full price! I downloaded all of their free offerings (Thai-podcast.com)and have to say that it beats Rosetta Stone for me! I got discouraged at learning Thai and gave up last year using Rosetta Stone. Can't wait to follow the original poster and use Rosetta Stone after I have gone through Thai- podcast.com

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the news letter tip! Was just about to signup and buy it at full price! I downloaded all of their free offerings (Thai-podcast.com)and have to say that it beats Rosetta Stone for me! I got discouraged at learning Thai and gave up last year using Rosetta Stone. Can't wait to follow the original poster and use Rosetta Stone after I have gone through Thai- podcast.com

No problem.

I married my sweetie ( x wife ) from Burriram more than 10 years ago. I studied Thai before I ever met her.

I don't hate anyone - but she comes kinda close after some 12 years. She can cus me out in Thai - but always pretty much the same.

learn words like Mung , saut. I just counter with what Thais say " falang dog " many thai have no respect for any persons unless they are thai or have allot of money.

I've been fighting with this x wife for years now. she will fuck you up - grab your balls, scratch your face etc.. Her school is that of thai soaps.

On a positive note - she gave me a son and daughter - just drop dead hansom (and intelligent ).

I don't like her anymore - because she is loud ass mean bitch. Go figure.

Her Thai language is not easy on the ear by any means - not like it was when we got married.

All in all - no big deal. Win some loose some - I guess.

I do know that many bar hookers don't like a guy with a thai wife. they can spot you a mile away. - or as soon as you speak thai - to sound smart. better to act as a newby maybe - but really thats nearly impossible to do.

I remember my first hooker outside nana plaza - said - I go with you - and off we went. Maybe I shouldn't say hooker - as I still remember her in such loving detail.

After a few years I thought I'd look for a Thai wife - and all the better - that has poor or no English.

I'm not complaining too much - freaken horrible nightmare - as it's not as bad really - as it could have been some 12 years later.

I need to learn - real nice spoken and written Thai. My x wife never went to kindergaten - but - you guessed it - the smartest person - knows everything.

I still love her - she is the Mother of my kids. OK - I don't "love her" she is a mean ass bitch - no kidding. I've had worse bitches - so I'll leave it at that.

It's a good idea to marry one that has some education.

even then - good luck to you!!

Condo for Rent starting Feb 2013 @ View Talay 1B 8,000 Bt long term.

https://sites.google.com/site/viewtalay1b/home

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

I echo the OP and David Smyth. I learnt to read using his 'teach yourself Thai' book and it's really well laid out and easy to get into. You don't feel it's a chore or 'study' at all.

Thai for Intermediate from Benjawan thingy is also good and the massive Mary Haas Stanford Dictionary.

Learning to read is essential imo

Thanks for sharing.

Great value on the information here as I have just started learning Thai.

Play on, player!

Awesome tips and kudos to OP. I think most people likely to fail ( me for example ) is not finding the right material but finding the discipline and motivation.

Hope to be half as discipline as you!

Hit me up for any kind of visa to stay in Thailand. Pay by installment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Xylanic,

I've been using LTP as I mentioned on your other thread and I personally find it fun and challenging for a beginner. I think maybe the key at my level is to watch each cycle twice. I've also been taking notes and recording a few things for quick review here and there.

Question for you due to how many resources you've used.. What would you think of solely using LTP throughout the entire course? This would fit me better, but it seems like I may be missing out on a lot?

Thanks,

S

Good list Xylanic

I would recommend also picking up Progressive Thai by Rungrat Luanwarawat

And if you can find them :

Thai Language & Culture For beginners 1 & 2 By Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong - "These are college textbooks so they are a bit pricey and hard to find."

These are probably not suited for beginners more internmediate and up.

Exellent review! :Clap9:

I would like to add thaipod101.com, I signed up for word of the day, and it has taught me new words, it is free, they also have a paid subs with more material,

another great resource is High Speed Thai, a very complete course that teaches writing,reading with tons of phrases.

also another YT Thai teacher that is great is Lartsu: here is one of her vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omErvrNO-uU

:Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1:

Hey Xylanic,

I've been using LTP as I mentioned on your other thread and I personally find it fun and challenging for a beginner. I think maybe the key at my level is to watch each cycle twice. I've also been taking notes and recording a few things for quick review here and there.

Question for you due to how many resources you've used.. What would you think of solely using LTP throughout the entire course? This would fit me better, but it seems like I may be missing out on a lot?

Thanks,

S

I think it's the most comprehensive and if you structure yourself, you would emerge at least conversational.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

Just downloaded its4thai to iPad. Best resource I've come across so far. Thanks for the heads up. Will be in Patts from 22 Sept. Hopefully paths with cross!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the thread.

After 6 years full time mostly in Pattaya I am ashamed to say that my Thai is little better than that of someone who has been here for a fortnight.

I find the language difficult to learn, as I do anything I haven't seen in print and the written Thai I find impossible.

My list of excuses is quite long, including my advancing years (Alzheimers?) and the fact that the two females I have spent most time with have both spoken good English.

Ultimately, I have been very lazy and encountered no great problems not speaking Thai while living around Pattaya, which is mostly thanks to Thais speaking English or wanting to understand me (AKA take my money).

My other excuse is that I expected to move to Cambodia , but that now looks less likely.

However, if I go through with my current plan to set up a base in Isaan I shall have a lot of incentives and advantages, not least that very few people speak English there.

I shall have a lot of time, good internet access and all mod cons, so no excuses.

Thanks - I hope to return with a progress report. :Think1:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,AJ.

I started with the David Smyth books and then went on to the Benjawin Poosnan Becker books and completed all 3.

I think the best way to learn is to get a bit of the conversational stuff going, then learn the alphabet.

This really helped me no ends and it made learning vowel lengths a lot easier.

With the job I have now as a bar manager, I need to be able to check all the alcohol deliveries and they're mostly in Thai.

I think the Thais are pretty impressed with someone who can read the language, too. Think it puts you in a group of about 1-2% of Non-Thais who live here.

All I need to do now is learn English.

Phil

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

Awesome tips and kudos to OP. I think most people likely to fail ( me for example ) is not finding the right material but finding the discipline and motivation.

Hope to be half as discipline as you!

The thing is with something like Smyth's 'Teach yourself Thai' is once you have learnt the basics of reading you can find new reading material or just a big dictionary and learn yourself.

I always walk around, even nowadays, reading every sign, stuff like that. If you don't know a word can look it up and feel like you're learning without bothering with books. Even if you're talking to girls and don't understand ask them to write it down or 'sagot yung nhai krup' (how do you spell) ... they think it's great you can read ... you look at it and read it ... they're impressed and you take the paper and look it up if you don't know what it means (kee-an chut, krup - write clearly, please)

Hi,AJ.

I started with the David Smyth books and then went on to the Benjawin Poosnan Becker books and completed all 3.

I think the best way to learn is to get a bit of the conversational stuff going, then learn the alphabet.

This really helped me no ends and it made learning vowel lengths a lot easier.

With the job I have now as a bar manager, I need to be able to check all the alcohol deliveries and they're mostly in Thai.

I think the Thais are pretty impressed with someone who can read the language, too. Think it puts you in a group of about 1-2% of Non-Thais who live here.

All I need to do now is learn English.

Phil

Pretty similar to me, same pathway of learning + Mary Hass Dictionary, which is phenomonal.

I agree, every mean and his dog can speak at least some Thai these days, some better than others, some with atrocious pronounciation to BGs but being able to read does seem to still impress, it's like they can't believe it but to be honest I didn't find it too difficult (of course there are various language rules outside the basics but probably not as much as English) ... I look at Thai characters and I see an 'R' and an 'S' etc .. not as difficult as I imagine learning something like Chinese would be.

Plus, I find it easier than speaking these days as I don't get enough speaking practice

Thanks for this comprehensive post. I particular liked the way you reviewed the different products available. I get motivated off and on to learn Thai. You mentioned many girls don't like you to speak Thai...I am guessing this is because of your advanced level, most seem to enjoy hearing low level speakers stuff it up!

I also find a bit of mutual language learning is a useful form of small talk when dining say..and the conversation in English has ground to halt.

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

• 2 weeks later...

all of these are excellent courses and study features. one that should be added for reference is FSI study course. it is old and maybe out dated by some standards but the grammar lessons and usages never change. it is a strong course once you know their translation to english.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Most useful. Thank you so much for your time.

I have been at it, on and off, for 2 years and I probably know more than I think but........better use of my time is required.

Thanks once again.

Once again, a good read thanks for the information man... Always informative posts! Intresting too hope to catch you out one of these days!

• 2 months later...

Your story is really inspiring Xylanic!

It's acctually giving me a boost to want to learn faster than I already do.

Thank you for the great links and recommendations, I will deffinitely use them to my benefit!

• 4 weeks later...

A truely awesome post Xylanic. I have noticed from earleir posts that you spend a vast majority of your posts paraletic gaining international awards for whoring. However to balance this out by so comprehensively learn the thai language is of great credit to you. I can also speak Thai but is easy for me as i am not partying as hard as you when i visit.

Your post is accurate and hope more people especially the expats will take your lead. I can happily say that you are not a man of extremes and do not suffer from any form of extreme personality symptons hahaha!

Great post, very insightful. I taught myself to read using the manee and friends book on the site you mentioned, i found it very easy to use and didn't take long at all to get to grips with it.

I find that for most people learning to read thai looks too daunting to even begin, but I think its alot easier then people first imagine, once you get into it its very rewarding when you can start identifying and reading words, although I can not read everything, I can phonetically translate most sentences, or at least break them down to start translating them.

I've now started doing the its4thai course you mentioned in thai script, its very basic at the moment but i'm sure I will learn more of it later on, I will then purchase the LTP I think as you said its a great resource. 

To anyone looking to learn thai, i would say that when you have a basic few conversational sentences down that you should learn to read the script. it will pay dividends in the long run, and you will constantly learn new words just by reading thai around you, a great thing to practice with is girls facebook status' online, IMO learning to read phonetically is a waste of time and will often lead to mis pronunciation.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone else gets on learning the language and what other resources you can recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

As was mentioned in another thread, LTP is on special for $97 rather than $197 from time to time.  Just scooped this up as I have been waiting for a reasonable deal such as this for a long while.  Great material, will keep me busy for awhile.  I started with Linguaphone many years ago, really enjoyed it as well.  I wish Linguaphone had an updated version.  Thank you for your post, sir.  Great information.  (Having a lonely Thai mother-in-law that talks nonstop has also been helpful in the listening section.)

I'm currently learning Thai... I started with the Pimsleur method, which you said isn't the best. I'll continue to finish this, and check out some of the other resources that you mentioned. Thanks for posting this... it'll help a lot :)

• 4 months later...

Recommend moderators consider this topic for pinning in the language section.  Or just pin all of Xylanic's posts automatically.  That would work, too.

This is my syllabus, and my goal, right here. 

LTP is excellent, I have hit a bit of a wall but I hope a jaunt from the redwoods over to the Land of Smiles will jolt me back into study.  Once you get into it, it is hard to put down, but making the initial effort is the hardest for me.  800 lessons seems like Doi Inthanon.  Have to remember that each lesson is useful in itself, not just the entire course as a whole.  It can be done.  Onward and upward.

Archived