IGNORED

Buddhism Origin

What is the birthplace of Buddhism? Is it somewhere in India? Has anyone visited the birthplace?

Did you google this?

The answer is very involved and goes to the whole purpose of the religion.

I like the explanation given on this web site:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Have a read. It is only 5 minutes and will give you a basic understanding to build your knowledge base on Buddhism.

To answer you question directly:

Who Was the Buddha?

Siddhartha Gotama was born into a royal family in Lumbini, now located in Nepal, in 563 BC. At 29, he realised that wealth and luxury did not guarantee happiness, so he explored the different teachings religions and philosophies of the day, to find the key to human happiness. After six years of study and meditation he finally found 'the middle path' and was enlightened. After enlightenment, the Buddha spent the rest of his life teaching the principles of Buddhism — called the Dhamma, or Truth — until his death at the age of 80.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

The Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree in Bodhgaya. I would, as such, suggest that this is the birthplace of Buddhism.

I have visited Bodhgaya and it is an amazing place. I recall there being a very important universty there also.

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

Did you google this?

The answer is very involved and goes to the whole purpose of the religion.

I like the explanation given on this web site:

http://www.buddhanet...ing/5minbud.htm

Have a read. It is only 5 minutes and will give you a basic understanding to build your knowledge base on Buddhism.

To answer you question directly:

Who Was the Buddha?

Siddhartha Gotama was born into a royal family in Lumbini, now located in Nepal, in 563 BC. At 29, he realised that wealth and luxury did not guarantee happiness, so he explored the different teachings religions and philosophies of the day, to find the key to human happiness. After six years of study and meditation he finally found 'the middle path' and was enlightened. After enlightenment, the Buddha spent the rest of his life teaching the principles of Buddhism — called the Dhamma, or Truth — until his death at the age of 80.

Good read, thanks for that :)

There are 4 places considered auspicous to visit:

Lumbini in Nepal,where the prince was born, just over the border from India.

Bodhgaya in India, where the Buddha reached enlightenment sitting under the bodh tree

-this is the most visited place, and all buddhist countries maintain a temple in the small village.

Sarnath in India,deer park where the dhamma was first taught, set in motion,-an easy(45 minute) rickshaw ride from Varanasai

Kushinagar India,where the buddha reached nivvana and left his mortal body,near Gorakpur in India

I have been to all: Bodhgaya and Sarnath twice :GoldenSmile1:

The Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree in Bodhgaya. I would, as such, suggest that this is the birthplace of Buddhism.

That's interesting because Newton attained enlightenment under an Apple tree in Lincolnshire.

just remember

Buddha said:

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

• 1 month later...

Haven´t been to Bodhgaya, but Lumbini in the mid nineties.

One of the most interesting aspects of buddhism, is how it adapted to the local cultures. From Tibet to Japan, it suceeded in amalgamating old beliefs and traditions with the central principles that the Buddha taught.

Those were quite revolutionary at the time, and even 2500 years later there is a certain freshness to it.

Would really like to learn more about the particular branch that is thai buddhism!

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly. Thai buddhism is the subject I want to explore too. Does any one know a good start for that? website? place in Thailand? book?

Exactly. Thai buddhism is the subject I want to explore too. Does any one know a good start for that? website? place in Thailand? book?

You might find this useful.

http://www.buddhapadipa.org/buddhism/

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

You guys are trying to give Buddism credit it doesnt deserve.

Buddism didnt change anything reasonably imaginable and typical example is Cambodia.

Modern Buddism is based on money and its a taboo in original teaching.

Buddism remind me communism--excellent on paper, terrible in reality.

You guys are trying to give Buddism credit it doesnt deserve.

Buddism didnt change anything reasonably imaginable and typical example is Cambodia.

Modern Buddism is based on money and its a taboo in original teaching.

Buddism remind me communism--excellent on paper, terrible in reality.

Not sure what you are trying to say aligning a religion with a political ideal. I concede that the history of SEA has Buddhist monks supporting various governments but I don’t see them as building a power base in the execution of this support.

Now if you want to investigate how a religion will stick to and influence a government for all sorts of benefits then you can’t go past the Catholic church and their influence on the Whitehouse. But this is too big a subject to throw accusations on a forum like this.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Well, there are the niceties like this,

just remember

Buddha said:

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

I'm not sure this quote is accessible by Thais, they quite like authority and subordination. Anyway, then you observe Buddhist dignitaries making money with fortune telling, and selling protective amuletts, and perform all sorts of magical bullshit, and then there are news like this http://www.pattayada...sted-for-drugs/

all in all, mixed signals.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there are the niceties like this,

I'm not sure this quote is accessible by Thais, they quite like authority and subordination. Anyway, then you observe Buddhist dignitaries making money with fortune telling, and selling protective amuletts, and perform all sorts of magical bullshit, and then there are news like this http://www.pattayada...sted-for-drugs/

all in all, mixed signals.

The same arguments could be made about Christianity based on the wealth of the Vatican, fundamentalist hucksters with crystal churches in the US, arms dealing mujahadeen, Hindus who drown their daughters at birth. Some people are bad, whatever their relgion and whether or not they have one at all. Relgious people also do good work in the world - Salvation Army, volunteer workers in 3rd world, cheap Catholic schools, for example. Religion is the root of many wars in the world, but so is poltiics. Religion is responsible for genocide, but also for periods in history when art and intellectual elightenement have flourished under its rule.

All in all, it's complicated.