IGNORED

Tipping gets out of hand in Pattaya

Pattaya One

One of the more dangerous groups of tourist-oriented frontmen in Pattaya must surely be the bouncers (aka doormen) of Pattaya’s go go bars.

Most of the time they are exceedingly polite and friendly, and most people never have a problem with them.

But even when they greet you with the friendly smiles and hellos and a prompt opening of the curtain or door into their establishment, surely, SURELY asking for a tip is too much?

I recently walked past a go go bar in Central Pattaya and noticed to my surprise that there is a rough and ready tip box attached to the front door, to deposit tips for the door staff.

Now, I know the tip culture has gone mad in Pattaya’s tourism industry and in fact sometimes extends well beyond it, to all manner of little kiosks in Tuk.Com, and shops around the town hoping for the best with a tip box for usually indifferent service, but this is the first time I have seen a tip box for go go bar door staff.

I wonder if they throw you out, can you ask for your tip back?

InPattayaNow?d=yIl2AUoC8zA InPattayaNow?d=qj6IDK7rITs
DHWIpzmZ0rw

View the full article

Good point. I too have noticed establishments expecting to be tipped, even after shoddy service and attitude,

I have to agree it is getting way out of hand.

Another point is Bars advertising bottled beer for say 60 baht and even if you only stay for 1 drink they expect their 20 baht tip, now i'm no rocket scientist but that adds up to 80 baht for your 1 bottle of beer.

Let me just say i am no cheap charlie and don't mind in the slightest giving a tip if service is good and a good time has been had in the bar.

Stevie

I have seen tip boxes in 7Eleven and Family Mart also, plus I once saw one on one of those mobile Kebab carts.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

I only tip for good service.

I would not count opening a curtain as good service so would not tip.

Perhaps this is for some of the ethnic groups they sometimes do not allow in by saying its "members only"

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

some older go-go girls tip the guys on the way out after a bar-fine-i asked one why she did it.." she said "incase i have trouble"...maybe it was her boyfriend TIT

Tip for door mans?! I never paid. It is a way how you will pay tips also for toilet hag soon.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Tip for door mans?! I never paid. It is a way how you will pay tips also for toilet hag soon.

Toilet hag :LMFAO:

you have a way with your words Thajec, i know English is clearly not your first language but you give it your best shot with some funny results.

Keep it up.

Stevie

Toilet hag :LMFAO:

you have a way with your words Thajec, i know English is clearly not your first language but you give it your best shot with some funny results.

Keep it up.

I am happy can made you smile, happy and you understood what I mean. :hello09:

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Thats the point, every post you make is understandable, just funny too.

:GoldenSmile1:

Stevie

from what I have read here on the forums, tipping too much indicates to Thais that you are foolish with your money. I wouldnt say that I am a cheap charlie but due to the fact that I have read it many times here before, I dont tip in excess, I bascially round up. This is the way its done in Germany as the service charge is normally calculated in the prices of the food or drink or whatever you are buying.

I agree however with a previous statement, tip more if the service and or experience was exceptional. This being said I tend to tip more in the bars/restaurants I visit regularly, basically where i have more of a relationship with the service staff, knowing their names and them knowing mine (in Thailand they remember names quickly, but still I think you understand what I am getting at)

Sometimes I dont really tip but bring food or fruit or whatever for the girls that work the bars that I like. This is much better than tipping monetarly in my opinion as it tends to go a longer way in terms of mutal appreciation

Edited by hatcher

I have noticed that all my BF from a GoGo put a tip (20 baht) in the outide tip box when they leave. Certainly in Office and Silver Star GoGos. I personally never have but will ask why they do it next time.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

• 3 weeks later...

Its not customary to tip in Thailand, so why is it such a big tipping area?

I love to see the look on their face when they bring you your 10m or 20 baht change then stand expectantly then you take your change and go!!

I don't mind tipping if i have been there a while had a few drinks and decent service, but not if i have only had one beer, and it has been delivered by a surly waitress who is much more interested in her finger nails than serving you!

I generally tend to tip when i am a regular somewhere, like the coffee shop i like in Big C partly as you get a smile the next time and i feel these girls deserve it more as i think they work harder, longer for less money than your average bar girl!

Some thing's baby i just can't swallow,

Momma told me that girls are hollow..

Uhuhh...whats inside a girl....?? Lux Interior

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/91866-first-port-of-call/page__fromsearch__1

CountdownClockCodes.com

Hmm... this area caused me some minor trouble last trip. I was in a bar on soi lengkee that was quite busy. I sat at a table near the street and drank a beer, but no girl came over as there were already many punters in the place. I just sat there, drinking, staring out down the soi for 10-15 minutes then decided to leave. I paid the waitress, who then informed me that it was happy hour and my next drink was free. I told her "what's the point? nobody is talking to me. I'll go somewhere else." She walked off inside and didn't bring me my change. I called her over and asked for it and she seemed quite offended and tried to make me feel like shit about it.

Now, I don't mind tipping generally. But I'm not going to tip a bar that's failed to provide a quality service and shown me zero entertainment. I understand they were busy and there probably wasn't enough girls to go around (you can thank the fat monger in the corner who had bought drinks and food for 4 girls), but still... the waitresses didn't even say a word to me. Just brought me one beer then fucked off back inside.

you should only tip if the service was fantastic, and never tip more then 20 bath unless it was a mind blowing service experience

Dont eat yellow snow...now thats a good tip!

But honestly I only tip for good service and services rendered.

While I certainly respect each individual's right to tip, or not, as they deem fit, I thought I'd present a different perspective on this.

As my visits are a month or longer, I go weekly to Kasikorn and stock-up on change which I keep in the room safe for small purchases and tips. I keep 2-3k baht in 100s, 50s and about 20 20s in my wallet, replenishing from my safe each morning, or as needed.

It seems to me that one could do much worse than tipping 20 baht when receiving fair to good service, especially if it's a place one frequents. it very likely will pay off on following visits, if not sooner.

For instance, I once tipped the waitress 40 baht in a club so crowded our group of six had no table, just a piece of a counter on which to place the drinks for which I had to make a concerted effort to order from the waitress. (Walking Street Bar) When my TGF asked why I tipped so well, I replied because we'll never go thirsty the rest of the time we're here, that waitress will recall that tip and hope for more. She smiled and remarked how that was a good idea, and we got asked every 5-10 minutes if we needed anything after that. On every subsequent visit to the club that waitress was tripping over herself to serve us.

The staff recalls good tippers, and as long as I then get great service I could care less if they think I'm stupid or not for tipping well.

Such a thing has afforded me awesome service all over the world, and costing a whole $1.10 USD this time, less than the cost of the bottled water I was drinking...talk about return on investment.

Also, ever thought about how that 20 baht tip to a doorman could later, maybe even another visit on a different night, get some drunk tossed after he's been in your face over some perceived 'issue' while you get a "Sorry sir" and a smile from the staff? You'll get the benefit of the doubt on anything near a close call, usually. Such a small investment can really pay off in a big way at some point.

It seems so often many lose sight of that and only view it as paying for service already received, or not. Maybe because it's mostly an American custom of which others understandably aren't especially fond of following, I don't presume to know. You can bet your last baht those girls working the clubs in which they tip on the way out know this all too well, and greatly appreciate the value. That 20 baht represents more to them than it does to us, yet even they consider it a worthwhile investment...and for good reason imho.

Now I'll admit I don't want the toilet attendant to come shake or wipe for me, so he or she usually just gets a polite ' khop khoon khrup' and that's it, even from me.

I just figured I'd present what seems to be a different mindset as to justifications for splurging on a whole 20-40 baht, most always less than the price of a single bottle of water in a bar or club.

Call me a LDOP if you want, I'll just have the bouncer toss you out on your thirsty, disgruntled ass...and you can keep the change too!

Peace,

TM

While I certainly respect each individual's right to tip, or not, as they deem fit, I thought I'd present a different perspective on this.

As my visits are a month or longer, I go weekly to Kasikorn and stock-up on change which I keep in the room safe for small purchases and tips. I keep 2-3k baht in 100s, 50s and about 20 20s in my wallet, replenishing from my safe each morning, or as needed.

It seems to me that one could do much worse than tipping 20 baht when receiving fair to good service, especially if it's a place one frequents. it very likely will pay off on following visits, if not sooner.

For instance, I once tipped the waitress 40 baht in a club so crowded our group of six had no table, just a piece of a counter on which to place the drinks for which I had to make a concerted effort to order from the waitress. (Walking Street Bar) When my TGF asked why I tipped so well, I replied because we'll never go thirsty the rest of the time we're here, that waitress will recall that tip and hope for more. She smiled and remarked how that was a good idea, and we got asked every 5-10 minutes if we needed anything after that. On every subsequent visit to the club that waitress was tripping over herself to serve us.

The staff recalls good tippers, and as long as I then get great service I could care less if they think I'm stupid or not for tipping well.

Such a thing has afforded me awesome service all over the world, and costing a whole $1.10 USD this time, less than the cost of the bottled water I was drinking...talk about return on investment.

Also, ever thought about how that 20 baht tip to a doorman could later, maybe even another visit on a different night, get some drunk tossed after he's been in your face over some perceived 'issue' while you get a "Sorry sir" and a smile from the staff? You'll get the benefit of the doubt on anything near a close call, usually. Such a small investment can really pay off in a big way at some point.

It seems so often many lose sight of that and only view it as paying for service already received, or not. Maybe because it's mostly an American custom of which others understandably aren't especially fond of following, I don't presume to know. You can bet your last baht those girls working the clubs in which they tip on the way out know this all too well, and greatly appreciate the value. That 20 baht represents more to them than it does to us, yet even they consider it a worthwhile investment...and for good reason imho.

Now I'll admit I don't want the toilet attendant to come shake or wipe for me, so he or she usually just gets a polite ' khop khoon khrup' and that's it, even from me.

I just figured I'd present what seems to be a different mindset as to justifications for splurging on a whole 20-40 baht, most always less than the price of a single bottle of water in a bar or club.

Call me a LDOP if you want, I'll just have the bouncer toss you out on your thirsty, disgruntled ass...and you can keep the change too!

Peace,

TM

Yeah, Mate, hold that thought.

The staff don't remember you any more than any other Farang.

Tip, or no tip. They will, however, remember the nice, polite Guy with a big smile.

We all know about the American custom of tipping, to subsidise lower than average service industry pay rates in the U.S. Not the same here, or in many other countries.

But here, it amounts to being a fool with your money. the Local custom is to leave any coins, though I know most good hearted Farangs usually leave a 20.

As for the Thai Guys on the door, yeah, sure they will take your money, all day long, but if ever there was a group who thought it was condescending, these Guys do. And rightly so. See if you can figure out why.....

Believe it or not.

Edited by Rastus Watermelon

I find tipping for anything but good service to be an absolute NO. I worked in the restaurant business for several years to help fund my college years in Ireland and America. If I did a good job I sometimes got a nice tip but if I did a bad job I almost certainly got very little to nothing.

So, if a bouncer wanted a tip I would tell him to get a better job but not hand him any money. You need to earn a tip by providing a service.

Simply standing around and helping me in the door is not good service; that is their job.

Don't worry.

At least one among us can be seen counting out the exact money for his 59 Baht draught beer after an hour in a GoGo. :hello09:

Best policy is to stay out of places with bouncers.

That would eliminate most all of WS gogos, as they all have security/door guys do they not?

Yeah, Mate, hold that thought.

The staff don't remember you any more than any other Farang.

Tip, or no tip. They will, however, remember the nice, polite Guy with a big smile.

Believe it or not.

Well I figured it went without saying being nice and polite with a big smile was always the deal, apparently that needed stating.

Speaking Thai at an above average level and my being 193 cm tall are aspects too. The 20 baht is just one facet, as is how often one frequents a place. But since the topic was tipping and rationales concerning it, I focused on that.

I'd definitely agree that the busier a place is the harder it is to make a lasting favorable impression, not that it's crucial to do so either.

As to who remembers who, see it as you will mate, I'll agree to disagree, no worries.

I'm not trying to win anyone here over, just presenting a viewpoint.

I'd gladly give you a 20 baht note and buy the 59 baht beer for the accountant Edge refers to also, in the spirit of giving, of course.

Sometimes it's nice to be remembered, even by the condescending.

Believe it or not.

Peace,

TM

I'd gladly give you a 20 baht note and buy the 59 baht beer for the accountant Edge refers to also, in the spirit of giving, of course.

TM

My change was 35 Baht from a 365 bin.

I went to take the 20 Baht note, but when I saw him do that I just left it all.