IGNORED

48R - SUCCESSFUL Tourist Visa application to Australia for Thai Girlfriend

On Borrowed Time

Done.

If it is successful does my gf get a phone call ?

Just had a thought, I don't know how you are planning on lodging the application but some post offices now provide a service the bypasses the need to travel to Bangkok. It costs a little more but well worth it if she is not in Bangkok. The cost will be about 500 Baht and the post offices that do this are listed on this page.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a thought, I don't know how you are planning on lodging the application but some post offices now provide a service the bypasses the need to travel to Bangkok. It costs a little more but well worth it if she is not in Bangkok. The cost will be about 500 Baht and the post offices that do this are listed on this page.

Going to Bangkok in next few weeks to see my gf and lodge the forms with her, all going well we will be wheels up by end of july :-)

On the subject of return airfares for TGF going to Oz on a tourist/visitor visa: is it necessary to book the return fare at the same time you book the tickets to Oz? Is it acceptable to fly to Oz on one-way ticket then make the return booking later?

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

On the subject of return airfares for TGF going to Oz on a tourist/visitor visa: is it necessary to book the return fare at the same time you book the tickets to Oz? Is it acceptable to fly to Oz on one-way ticket then make the return booking later?

Think you have to have the return ticket. When I fly Jetstar they have asked me in the past if they could see my return ticket when I travel to Thailand

Think you have to have the return ticket. When I fly Jetstar they have asked me in the past if they could see my return ticket when I travel to Thailand

Yes I sometimes get asked this question when I depart Oz (only by the bitches never been asked by a male) of course every time I depart Oz I never have a ticket back to Oz because I live in LOS and have only been on a short trip back to Oz. But I show them my retirement visa + re-entry visa for Thailand and explain my circumstances.

Yes I sometimes get asked this question when I depart Oz (only by the bitches never been asked by a male) of course every time I depart Oz I never have a ticket back to Oz because I live in LOS and have only been on a short trip back to Oz. But I show them my retirement visa + re-entry visa for Thailand and explain my circumstances.

I have never been asked when departing Australia and I never have one.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

If you cannot mention you met your tgf in a bar ..then what else can I say and would she need to prove it ?

You will need to have a ticket to show that she will be leaving the country and on what day she'll leave. If they ask at immigration upon entry and she does not have this it will be a problem. 

In regard to Australian or British nationals travelling abroad this issue is not as much of a problem but for Thais it is. I would not take the risk as I see it as a risk that doesn't need to be taken. If you know she has to leave after 3 months then she's going to need to leave anyway. 

If you cannot mention you met your tgf in a bar ..then what else can I say and would she need to prove it ?

No need to prove where you met her so don't worry about it. I don't think there is a problem telling them that you met her in a bar but probably best not to. I recon the embassy assume that all the TGs applying with Aussies supporting them have/are working in a bar.

You will need to have a ticket to show that she will be leaving the country and on what day she'll leave. If they ask at immigration upon entry and she does not have this it will be a problem. 

In regard to Australian or British nationals travelling abroad this issue is not as much of a problem but for Thais it is. I would not take the risk as I see it as a risk that doesn't need to be taken. If you know she has to leave after 3 months then she's going to need to leave anyway. 

I don't believe that this is correct. I think if the person does not have a return ticket he/she must be able to prove that they have the means to purchase a ticket. Not having a ticket will not necessarily result in problems.

There is a down side of not have a return ticket though. Immigration may see it as an indication that he person is not planning on leaving. This may result in a lot more questions.

If ever asked about this just say you met her socially, you dated and a close relationship developed, which isn't really far from the truth and is the normal path for relationships the world over.

I have never been asked when departing Australia and I never have one.

I've been asked 2 - 3 times in the past 2 - 3 decades. I have no idea why, I look smart and always dress well when traveling internationally. When they see I do not have a ticket back to Oz they ask to see my Thai visa. In the past I had annual visa for work, these days I have annual visa for retirement, and showing this satisfied those bitches.

No need to prove where you met her so don't worry about it. I don't think there is a problem telling them that you met her in a bar but probably best not to. I recon the embassy assume that all the TGs applying with Aussies supporting them have/are working in a bar.

I don't believe that this is correct. I think if the person does not have a return ticket he/she must be able to prove that they have the means to purchase a ticket. Not having a ticket will not necessarily result in problems.

There is a down side of not have a return ticket though. Immigration may see it as an indication that he person is not planning on leaving. This may result in a lot more questions.

Yes I agree with that. She'd need to show that she has the means to purchase a flight out at the very least. Most (not all) Thais in this situation probably don't have a credit card so it might not look good. With a pre-purchased flight out there is not much argument that they could make. If there was any suspicion then I think it could lead to immigration possibly thinking that she could be an overstay risk. I think that that could be a problem.

I would not risk it. I don't see any reason to take the risk. If it is a case of not having the funds then it probably isn't the time to be bringing somebody over in the first place. It would be silly to spend so much time and effort getting the visa in the first place to risk as possible problem like that. The problem could be worse if she was travelling alone. My wife did this on her second trip and although we had done everything correctly I was still a little nervous. You don't know what type of person you will get at immigration. Some are great and some have made me feel embarrassed that this would be the first impression that a visitor could have when travelling to Australia.

It's no big deal for me to book return tickets for myself and tirak next trip to Oz but it's a bit of a drag being locked into those dates and that airline and that flight path. Next trip we're planning on staying 6 months in Oz and before tirak's time is up we could wish to depart on a different date, on a different airline, and on a different route. But of course with the budget airlines these days you cannot make changes, you more or less have to throw the ticket in the bin and purchase a new one.

It's no big deal for me to book return tickets for myself and tirak next trip to Oz but it's a bit of a drag being locked into those dates and that airline and that flight path. Next trip we're planning on staying 6 months in Oz and before tirak's time is up we could wish to depart on a different date, on a different airline, and on a different route. But of course with the budget airlines these days you cannot make changes, you more or less have to throw the ticket in the bin and purchase a new one.

Yeah i understand and have had to work around that one too. I'd hate to think what I've spent on fees for changing flights over the years. I don't remember one trip to Thailand that I haven't delayed the flight back. 

Qantas is $150 to change it. If you leave it late they charge you the difference in tickets too which can be pricey. This happened to me last year so I ended up changing that flight for the next trip and buying a new return ticket (it saved me a fair bit of money). 

Even the with the 6 month visa she'll still have to leave after 3 months (to my understanding). I've only dealt with 3 month, 12 months and now residency visas. But I believe the 6 month is just basically 2 x 3 month visas. Somebody please correct me if I'm worng

I've been asked 2 - 3 times in the past 2 - 3 decades. I have no idea why, I look smart and always dress well when traveling internationally. When they see I do not have a ticket back to Oz they ask to see my Thai visa. In the past I had annual visa for work, these days I have annual visa for retirement, and showing this satisfied those bitches.

I assume that it is the airline asking about the visa when you check in. They do this because if you travel to Thailand without a visa and Thai immigration refuse entry they are responsible for your removal and may be fined.

Yes I agree with that. She'd need to show that she has the means to purchase a flight out at the very least. Most (not all) Thais in this situation probably don't have a credit card so it might not look good. With a pre-purchased flight out there is not much argument that they could make. If there was any suspicion then I think it could lead to immigration possibly thinking that she could be an overstay risk. I think that that could be a problem.

I would not risk it. I don't see any reason to take the risk. If it is a case of not having the funds then it probably isn't the time to be bringing somebody over in the first place. It would be silly to spend so much time and effort getting the visa in the first place to risk as possible problem like that. The problem could be worse if she was travelling alone. My wife did this on her second trip and although we had done everything correctly I was still a little nervous. You don't know what type of person you will get at immigration. Some are great and some have made me feel embarrassed that this would be the first impression that a visitor could have when travelling to Australia.

Yes I agree and would always advise to buy a return ticket to make things simple. I was just pointing out this it is not a requirement.

Even the with the 6 month visa she'll still have to leave after 3 months (to my understanding). I've only dealt with 3 month, 12 months and now residency visas. But I believe the 6 month is just basically 2 x 3 month visas. Somebody please correct me if I'm worng

There is provision for 6 month stays on a tourist visa. You would need inform them that you want 6 months. It is one of the questions.

I assume that it is the airline asking about the visa when you check in. They do this because if you travel to Thailand without a visa and Thai immigration refuse entry they are responsible for your removal and may be fined.

Yes when check in, most times I never get asked but as I say have been questioned 2-3 times over the years. And yes I understand it's due to the carrier being responsible for bringing a passenger back to Oz should they be refused entry. Mind you a bit overkill IMO as the only person I heard about being refused entry to LOS at BKK airport in recent years was Gary Glitter. :GoldenSmile1:

Yeah i understand and have had to work around that one too. I'd hate to think what I've spent on fees for changing flights over the years. I don't remember one trip to Thailand that I haven't delayed the flight back. 

Qantas is $150 to change it. If you leave it late they charge you the difference in tickets too which can be pricey. This happened to me last year so I ended up changing that flight for the next trip and buying a new return ticket (it saved me a fair bit of money). 

Same same, had to pay high fees to make changes to departure dates on several occasions, with the budget carriers the fees are almost same as buying a new ticket.

Next trip to Perth for tirak & I we're planning for Nov 2015 and want to stay 6 months through to April/May 2016. I will request a double-entry 3-month visa so we stay 3 months, then go Bali for 1-2 weeks, then back to Perth for a further 3 months, then back to BKK. We actually want to go to Bali, so a 6-month visa will not suit us as she'll blow that when she departs Perth for Denpasar, unless she could get a re-entry stamp, which I'm sure would require further expense and further piss farting around with Imm in Perth.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I use a copy of a stat dec ( copy n paste my letter ) is it still acceptable or do I need an original copy and write out my letter on to the stat dec?

Archived