IGNORED

101 reasons to keep Walking Street

Pattaya One

According to sources not even remotely close to the decision makers, the buildings along the bayside section of Walking Street will be replaced by a posse of bulldozers and earthmovers within the next six months. Ho Hum. We’ve been hearing this rumour for years and years and one day, I suppose, it will eventually happen and all the rumourmongers will say, “I told you so.”

Don’t worry, the above item appeared in one of the first Nightmarch columns which appeared in the Pattaya Mail newspaper, back in mid 2000. Admittedly, a half-hearted attempt was made to remove a few structures on the street around this period, with the boffins at City Hall concentrating their efforts on the long-established Nang Nual noshery, which has been there since the sand on the beach stretched halfway to Vietnam.  The attempt quickly petered out for reasons never quite made public.

Here we are in late 2011 and, if anything, there are more upmarket and therefore potentially more powerful interests determined to see the sea side of Walking Street remain completely intact.

The man who made the claim to me was Birmingham Bill, the owner of the Rosie O’Grady’s pub and restaurant on Soi 7. Sadly, Bill died a few years later, suffering a massive heart attack as he strolled down a nearby soi.

©Duncan Stearn

InPattayaNow?d=yIl2AUoC8zA InPattayaNow?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rf3CCdMVlSw

View the full article

Not worth replying to. Many influential Thai owners of businesses in that area.

Not worth replying to. Many influential Thai owners of businesses in that area.

exactly, it will never happen! They should all pay to extend the beach, make it real land and be legal lol.

In other hand, I dont understand why they dont put buildings over the gogo bars and restaurants on sea side. Great place for sea view. Around the Casnovy, there is a small hotel who provide one beautifull room just over the sea.

In facts I see one nice new building over a restaurant, and as is looking for a condo for rent, I ask about. They tell me its an hotel, but not open yet. I ask when he open. They laught and answer : " next year may be". Anybody knows something about ?

( And sorry, I dont remember the name of the place, but I will chek tmrw.)