IGNORED

A sweet and sticky load

Pattaya One

Travelling up North last week I encountered the usual road hazard at this time of year – overloaded sugar trucks, although this year I thought there seemed to be a lot more of them.

And I was right.

It-would-be-a-sticky-end-if-you-crashed-

It would be a sticky end if you crashed into this stuff

According to Bloomberg, the unusually heavy rains in Thailand this year have resulted in a record sugar crop, which has actually skewered the global commodities market.

This year’s crop in Thailand is estimated to be 37% higher than last year’s.

Thailand is also the world’s second biggest exporter of sugar after Brazil. This didn’t surprise me at all, because I had impatiently driven behind half of it last week, on its way to the refineries.

In fact,  turning a negative into a positve, I decided to follow one truck as it turned into a refinery near Khon Khien.

This-is-where-they-were-all-going-a-suga

This is where they were all headed - a sugar refinery near Khon Khien

Inside were hundreds of trucks, single and two-trailers, absolutely packed with sugar cane, all waiting to be unloaded.

IMG_6330_resize-1024x768.jpg

Trucking hell; all that sugar

IMG_6331_resize-1024x768.jpg

Every available inch of space was used up

One-arrived-every-minute.-1024x768.jpg

One packed double-trailered truck arrived every minute I was there.

I was fascinated by the way the sugar cane had been packed into the trucks, and took a few photos while I was there, as you can see.

Well-stacked-1024x768.jpg

Well stacked

InPattayaNow?d=yIl2AUoC8zA InPattayaNow?d=qj6IDK7rITs
OMMJAhAI9SY

View the full article

Those Thais seem to not waste much including space on a truck!

Interesting thread....not sure would have clicked on it if there was not an even more interesting title.

Haha.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I must be a bad boy , the title got me too . No 'elf & safety in Thailand with those trucks !

Mikeyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Live near where a lot of sugar cane is grown & when being transported every day many of these overloaded lorries end up on their sides

• 3 weeks later...

Cool pics.

Those trucks are NOT overloaded. Almost without fail, whenever you see these sorts of "overloaded" trucks, they are loaded up with some very light material. In this case, all that sugar cane weights next to nothing.

This is much safer than some truck with 2 ton iron beams in the back even though the iron beam truck may look empty in the back...

These big trucks are always fun to see... and PIA to pass.

dc-publius

These trucks are certainly not as safe as when they carry sand/grit etc very very rare to see one overturn, but as said when they carry sugar cane they are overloaded & many overturn every day so they are not very safe & not much fun when you have to deal with the bloody things on a regular basis on the local roads.

I have a couple big trucks overtuned on the side of the road. :)

Given the road rules in Thailand, and the substantial amount of traffic everywhere, I'm surprised I didn't see more.

title totally got me, but good analogy. I have tried sugar cane before and loved it though.

Apparently they learn this at a fairly young age...post-72869-0-02239900-1340751987.gif

Edited by Pfunder

There is amazing things you see on highways... I dont understand people sit back of pick up truck at motorway... And amazing trucks full of big water bottles... Only at Thailand.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Your thread title was misleading.... I was going to suggest drinking alot of pineapple juice. haha