Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

England-West indies Test series

mikeyboy

It was a great to see England win a test live and at only £10 :)

I was slightly worred when we were 4 wickets down but the pitch was always on our side.

Highlight of the day was during the lunch break as you are allowed to walk on the outfield - the pitch is like walking on air.

Thought so myself, when Trott and Pieterson went out early, Great to see Cook ever so cool playing, partnership with Bell settled the nerves... Still think England is missing a All rounder like Flintoff and Botham, Broad is a great bowler but dont think he is a great at batting, His average is not great... Hoefully there is one coming out of the mist... There must be one somewhere... Glad England won today but there is nothing special in there....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jocky king

• mikeyboy

• mousemat

• ramesdas

Thought so myself, when Trott and Pieterson went out early, Great to see Cook ever so cool playing, partnership with Bell settled the nerves... Still think England is missing a All rounder like Flintoff and Botham, Broad is a great bowler but dont think he is a great at batting, His average is not great... Hoefully there is one coming out of the mist... There must be one somewhere... Glad England won today but there is nothing special in there....

If you actually look at the official test stats Broad is not that far behind Botham - give Broad another few years and his figures could match Sir Ian's. (Source cricinfo.com)

Batting averages

Broad: 27

Botham: 33

Bowling:

Botham has a slightly better bowling average.

Maybe Prior could be classed as an all rounder - his batting average is 42 and thats very good for a wicket keeper. His average is better than Dhoni, Boucher and Haddin. If he can improve his craft behind the stumps then the maybe, just maybe then he could become a true all rounder

If you actually look at the official test stats Broad is not that far behind Botham - give Broad another few years and his figures could match Sir Ian's. (Source cricinfo.com)

Batting averages

Broad: 27

Botham: 33

Bowling:

Botham has a slightly better bowling average.

Maybe Prior could be classed as an all rounder - his batting average is 42 and thats very good for a wicket keeper. His average is better than Dhoni, Boucher and Haddin. If he can improve his craft behind the stumps then the maybe, just maybe then he could become a true all rounder

Seems you are an expert in England cricket... You are likely right about Broad, i hope he will go on to bigger things... My brother knows more about cricket than me ,lol.. That is how i got into cricket when in the seventies, we had only one TV (Black and White), Our mother(Father died when we were only under 3 years old) goes to work all day leaving us alone in the house watching cricket all the time... My Mother told me,In the 50s where there was no TV, My father listens to the radio of England and Australia at 4am... Must be a cricket mad, Mother also told me our Grandfather was a good cricket player in England....Funny though , there is cricket in our blood for generations...

Seems you are an expert in England cricket... You are likely right about Broad, i hope he will go on to bigger things... My brother knows more about cricket than me ,lol.. That is how i got into cricket when in the seventies, we had only one TV (Black and White), Our mother(Father died when we were only under 3 years old) goes to work all day leaving us alone in the house watching cricket all the time... My Mother told me,In the 50s where there was no TV, My father listens to the radio of England and Australia at 4am... Must be a cricket mad, Mother also told me our Grandfather was a good cricket player in England....Funny though , there is cricket in our blood for generations...

Wow - a proper cricket family :) Your Dad had the right idea as cricket commentry on the radio is amazing - they spend hours talking about various topics, some cricket related and some not.

I got into cricket back in 2002 when I was backpacking around Australia and attended an ashes test in Brisbane - once I met the barmy army I was hooked as it was the best sporting event I have ever attended.

Ireland are playing Australia in Belfast in June - you would be mad not to go.....

Wow - a proper cricket family :) Your Dad had the right idea as cricket commentry on the radio is amazing - they spend hours talking about various topics, some cricket related and some not.

I got into cricket back in 2002 when I was backpacking around Australia and attended an ashes test in Brisbane - once I met the barmy army I was hooked as it was the best sporting event I have ever attended.

Ireland are playing Australia in Belfast in June - you would be mad not to go.....

My brother is going up there, he is asking me to come, Would love to... I think I should....

My brother is going up there, he is asking me to come, Would love to... I think I should....

Dont think about it just give your brother a call and tell him that you want to go.

Ireland have a good ODI team so there is always a chance.

Its also a good opportunity to see some world class players and enjoy a few beers :)

Dont think about it just give your brother a call and tell him that you want to go.

Ireland have a good ODI team so there is always a chance.

Its also a good opportunity to see some world class players and enjoy a few beers :)

I agree with Mousemat ,, Jocky if you have a chance to go grab it .

I'm a cricket groundsman and i have no chance of watching any International stuff live as i'm always flat out at work from mid march to october .

Of course the upside is i have plenty of time to visit Thailand from november till mid march

Remember Bangladesh beating Australia a few years ago in a Odi , and Ireland have a not bad team .

Mikeyboy

Chanderpaul is quality but he is about the only one who will trouble this England side, although I thought they did put up a great fight.

G C Greenidge, D Haynes and the great I V A Richards. Malcolm Marshall, A M E Roberts and Joel Garner. Also not forgetting C H Lloyd...

Now THAT was a West Indies side...

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

Chanderpaul is quality but he is about the only one who will trouble this England side, although I thought they did put up a great fight.

G C Greenidge, D Haynes and the great I V A Richards. Malcolm Marshall, A M E Roberts and Joel Garner. Also not forgetting C H Lloyd...

Now THAT was a West Indies side...

Very true , i think my greatest test match memory was as at the oval in 1976 .

I was very priveliged to see Michael Holding get 14 wickets on an belter of a batting wicket . Poetry in motion .

It was the famous series when Tony Greig said he would make the Windies grovel !

Mikeyboy

West Indies close the first day of the Trent Bridge test match on 304-6 . A good position to be in after earlier being 136-6 .

All down to Marlon Samuels 107* and Captain Darren Sammy 88* putting on 168 .

Think the Windies will need as many runs as possible , because this looks like a belter of a batting track . England will be looking to score big when they get out there .

Mikeyboy

England done well to answer back West Indies 370 , Andrew Strauss done another century with 102 not out, His 21st in Test matches, Pietersendoing well in partnership with Strauss, with his 72 not out, England is now 259/2 trailing only 111.... Beautiful day though, like in Ireland yesterday and today.

England 428 all out , someway short of what they were hoping for , as Windies bowl well . Strauss 141 .

A handy lead of 50 odd on fisrt inns. is plenty as Windies crumble to 61-6

Bresnan 3 wickets and Anderson 2 , this game could be over very quickly on monday .

Feel a bit sorry for Windies skipper Darren Sammy who is a real trier , but his team are just not good enough .

Mikeyboy

England only need 108 to win the match with West Indies 165 all out,,, Samuels did West Indies another favour with his 76 not out. But looking at West Indies team, a lot of em are all young, They will probably grow in stature to be like the Great West Indies of the 70s/80s..

Well , bit of a stroll for England in the end , 9 wickets and well over a day to spare . Windies played some decent cricket in spells , but far too inconsistent .

Should be changes on both sides for last match of series starting 7th june .

Impresssed with Darren Sammy , a wholehearted cricketer who needs more support from his team .

England i hope will give a game to Onions or Finn or maybe both , depending on pitch/overhead conditions before the South Africans arrive for their series starting July. Stacks of one day & 20/20 stuff before then .

Mikeyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Third Test against West Indies begins today, Heavy Rain in Ireland just now, England ? Probably is ..

Third Test against West Indies begins today, Heavy Rain in Ireland just now, England ? Probably is ..

Forecast not good today Jocky , better tomorrow and saturday . Rain sunday

Hope to get a look at Narine in this test , but a cold wet windy birmingham not the best stage for him !!

Mikeyboy

Finally we have some test cricket - unfortunately 3 days is probably not sufficient time anything but a draw.

I am also looking forward to seeing Narine play as the hype surrounding him is growing by the day.

It was a good decision by England to give Finn and Onions a test - they only way they can improve is by playing more international cricket. If Anerson pulls a muscle then at least we will have some experienced back up.

Finally we have some test cricket - unfortunately 3 days is probably not sufficient time anything but a draw.

I am also looking forward to seeing Narine play as the hype surrounding him is growing by the day.

It was a good decision by England to give Finn and Onions a test - they only way they can improve is by playing more international cricket. If Anerson pulls a muscle then at least we will have some experienced back up.

Draw will be likely outcome.....South Africa next for test, Should be a real Test for England....Cant wait.

I agree , a draw looks odds on , as more bad weather on sunday and maybe monday .

Odi's to follow this series before South Africa , and Chris Gayle will honour his team mates with his presence .

Skipper Darren Sammy , being diplomatic said "Chris playing will strengthen the team"

Narine may well be more effective in the odi's than this test match , assuming the weather relents .

Mikeyboy

Windies 186-5 at Edgbaston after being put in . samuels 66* leading the way again .

Mikeyboy

Windies 426 all out . An amazing 95 from number 11 bat Tino Best , one of the least talented of west Indies cricketers . He puts on 143 for last wicket with Dinesh Ramdin 107* .

England lose early wickets and 91-3 just before tea . Good entertainment ,but this match is surely heading for a draw . Too much time lost .

Mikeyboy

Windies 426 all out . An amazing 95 from number 11 bat Tino Best , one of the least talented of west Indies cricketers . He puts on 143 for last wicket with Dinesh Ramdin 107* .

England lose early wickets and 91-3 just before tea . Good entertainment ,but this match is surely heading for a draw . Too much time lost .

Mikeyboy

You never know, They may be all out before six this evening and forced England to bat again and bowled out tomorrow.. But that is a long shot...

Wow, an amazing innings by Tino - I would have loved to see him reach three figures. He almost achieved the impossible - I doubt another number eleven will ever get close to his score.

Throughout this series there have been pockets of hope for the Windies - if they can turn them into dominating a full day of cricket then this team could have some potential.

Was an amazing innings by the number 11 gutted he didn't make 3 figures to be honest.

These things happen occasionally but for me, if a number 11 hits 95, your bowlers need a kick up the rear

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

England won the one day series(2-0) with a convicing eight wicket win against West Indies who also have Chris Gayle.... Even without Pietersen, England is going from strength to strength, Cook made another century....