IGNORED

England-West indies Test series

mikeyboy

Well , after the wettest april in 100 years in England , the first test match at lords against West Indies starts thursday 17 th may ,

Hoping for a decent contest but this Windies side looks very average , with no real stars in their touring side . Don't want to feel over confident but England are 2-1 odds on to win the series .

Hope Andrew Strauss gets some much needed runs , He's been England's best captain for many years .

Mikeyboy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jocky king

• mikeyboy

• mousemat

• ramesdas

The windies have improved,but will never be the power house of yesteryear.

Kumar roach is seriously quick and chanderpaul is a gun.No other match winners tho.

I'm tipping England to belt them.

Looking forward to watch those test matches.... England done well this year except a hammering from Pakistan. I love England to have a all round player like Botham or Flintoff, hope they will find a genuis like them ...

The Windies' batting is very brittle, can see England skittling the Windies for a few very low scores. Chanderpaul is a real fighter though.

Barring weather interruptions, England should clean-sweep this series.

I am enjoying the cricket from the comfort of my living room - we should hopefully rack up 450 and win by an innings.

It does not feel like cricket weather because its cold and cloudy here in London :(

Personally I'm really looking forward to the South Africa series as this could be a fantastic battle between the top two test playing nations - I also have a ticket for the Oval test :)

@jockey king - Broad is on course to become a good all rounder, give him another 2/3 years and he has the potential to match Fred and possibly Botham. He averages 30 with the bat and has 147 wickets.

Andrew Strauss just got his century... His 20th Hundred in test matches for England, he was so glad to achieve that. Now it is 205-2 with an hour to go perhaps...

England 259-3 with West Indies 243 all out, Andrew Strauss back to best , is 121 not out. Black cloud appearing all over the Lords Cricket grounds, West Indies will be hoping for a rain to draw the match on Monday...

England 259-3 with West Indies 243 all out, Andrew Strauss back to best , is 121 not out. Black cloud appearing all over the Lords Cricket grounds, West Indies will be hoping for a rain to draw the match on Monday...

Glad Strauss scored a ton . class act . windies pop gun attack found wanting . The rain was the only thing stopping me having a few quid on an England win . Should be dry saturday and monday . sunday rain about . Will Ian Bell score the runs he needs , how will debut boy Bairstow fare ? or will the Windies fight back with the new ball ?

Mikeyboy

Maybe if some of the Windies players were not playing IPL this would have been a tougher series.

I cant blame them for taking the money offered by the IPL as I would have probably done the same but it just devalues test cricket.

It would have been great to see Chris Gayle take on the England attack.

Maybe if some of the Windies players were not playing IPL this would have been a tougher series.

I cant blame them for taking the money offered by the IPL as I would have probably done the same but it just devalues test cricket.

It would have been great to see Chris Gayle take on the England attack.

Chris Gayle made brilliant sixes yesterday at IPL.... 13 sixes he made, Agreed with you West Indies would have a better chance with them.. Will they come after the IPL is finished ? Probably too late for the second test... Third test or one dayers coming up after the test..

Chris Gayle made brilliant sixes yesterday at IPL.... 13 sixes he made, Agreed with you West Indies would have a better chance with them.. Will they come after the IPL is finished ? Probably too late for the second test... Third test or one dayers coming up after the test..

Gayle has not played for the Windies since the 2010 world cup so I'm not sure if his argument with the windies cricket board has been resolved.

I'm not sure if the other players (Bravo etc) will be here for the second test but with the IPL season reaching the play-offs they should be ready for the ODI series.

Gayle (when on form) is one of the few players in world cricket who is worth the entrance fee on his own. I've also seen his IPL appearances and his ability to hit the ball like a rocket amazes me. He is the Messi of T20 cricket.

I'd love to see Gayle play for my team, Essex in our domestic T20 competition.

Gayle has not played for the Windies since the 2010 world cup so I'm not sure if his argument with the windies cricket board has been resolved.

I'm not sure if the other players (Bravo etc) will be here for the second test but with the IPL season reaching the play-offs they should be ready for the ODI series.

Gayle (when on form) is one of the few players in world cricket who is worth the entrance fee on his own. I've also seen his IPL appearances and his ability to hit the ball like a rocket amazes me. He is the Messi of T20 cricket.

I'd love to see Gayle play for my team, Essex in our domestic T20 competition.

Did not know about that, What a shame for West Indies to lose the best player like Gayle.... Galyle a Messi of cricket, good one 5555...

Chris Gayle has had so many fall outs with the Windies test selectors over the years . I think at the moment they have kissed and made up , but he is not in the test squad at the moment . He should be playing in the three odi's after the test series .

Of more interest to me is the young spinner Sunny Narine , who has huge potential . World cricket needs a strong West Indies test team ,, but havn't had one for a long time .

Mikeyboy

Chris Gayle has had so many fall outs with the Windies test selectors over the years . I think at the moment they have kissed and made up , but he is not in the test squad at the moment . He should be playing in the three odi's after the test series .

Of more interest to me is the young spinner Sunny Narine , who has huge potential . World cricket needs a strong West Indies test team ,, but havn't had one for a long time .

Mikeyboy

Agreed... Remembered the great cricket team in the late seventies to the nineties when they had great players Viv Richard,Clive Lloyd, Michael Holding, Ambrose (Ruthless bowler) among few others... Unbeatable team...

Mikeyboy

I've not heard of Sunny but looked at his profile on cricinfo and he is already making a name for himself in IPL.

You are correct about cricket needing a strong Windies team but they are suffering form some problems:

1 - Their cricket board is suffering from financial problems

2 - Children/ teens are moving away from cricket and playing more Americal sports such as basketball because they can earn more money

3 - Like most countries test matches are played to near empty crowds and the money is drying up. This results in players opting for IPL instead of playing test cricket

Hopefully this will change over the next 10 years but if not then I fear for them

I've not heard of Sunny but looked at his profile on cricinfo and he is already making a name for himself in IPL.

You are correct about cricket needing a strong Windies team but they are suffering form some problems:

1 - Their cricket board is suffering from financial problems

2 - Children/ teens are moving away from cricket and playing more Americal sports such as basketball because they can earn more money

3 - Like most countries test matches are played to near empty crowds and the money is drying up. This results in players opting for IPL instead of playing test cricket

Hopefully this will change over the next 10 years but if not then I fear for them

If it wasn't for England and Australia test cricket would be just about finished.Their players still regard this form of the game as number 1.

Crowd support for tests in both these countries is still pretty good.

IPL (and any 20-20 for that matter) is just meaningless fodder for the masses. Does anyone honestly care who wins it? Chris Gayle is like a circus performer now even though he actually can be a brilliant test player although he looks like he doesnt give a shit most of the time.

Sitcks in the last post has it right. Tests are still enjoyed in Aust and England at least. I have a feeling (and a hope) that things will revert back to Test cricket being foremost in the game.

Back to the thread. The Windies are better now than they have been although away from home probably not so great. Good for cricket if they are competitive.

IPL (and any 20-20 for that matter) is just meaningless fodder for the masses. Does anyone honestly care who wins it? Chris Gayle is like a circus performer now even though he actually can be a brilliant test player although he looks like he doesnt give a shit most of the time.

Sitcks in the last post has it right. Tests are still enjoyed in Aust and England at least. I have a feeling (and a hope) that things will revert back to Test cricket being foremost in the game.

Back to the thread. The Windies are better now than they have been although away from home probably not so great. Good for cricket if they are competitive.

Agreed with your assesment of 20/20 being for the masses. If it introduces youngsters to the game it must be good , but in my eyes at least ,Test Cricket should be the pinnacle everyone should aim for .

Saddens me that some players consider ipl more important than tests , but big money will always talk .

Mikeyboy

England all out 398 gives them a lead of 155 runs on first innings. Ian Bell 61 West indies fought back to respectability . How will they go in their 2 nd dig ?

Tim bresnan has had a quiet match so far and i think he may get in the wickets this time round . Jimmy Anderson looks on top form and will get the new ball . Windies will have to graft ,Chanderpaul apart , are they up to it ?

Mikeyboy

Chanderpaul is proving he is a tough nut to crack... Partnering with impressive Samuels over 150 runs now... Both of em still not out.

Chanderpaul is proving he is a tough nut to crack... Partnering with impressive Samuels over 150 runs now... Both of em still not out.

Windies showing some grit , good test match stuff , 234-5 lead by 80 or so .

Chanderpaul still going . He reminds me of Jack Russell in his batting "style" Could well be monday play if this keeps up .

Mikeyboy

Edited by mikeyboy

Wow, the Windies have impressed me with their fight back - I expected them to crumble and the test to finish about 6pm tonight.

Looks like my earlier posts about them missing some of their key players was wrong.

My new job does not start for another 2 weeks so I may pop along to the fifth day if the weather is favourable.

It would be great if Broad can collect a ten-for.

Wow, the Windies have impressed me with their fight back - I expected them to crumble and the test to finish about 6pm tonight.

Looks like my earlier posts about them missing some of their key players was wrong.

My new job does not start for another 2 weeks so I may pop along to the fifth day if the weather is favourable.

It would be great if Broad can collect a ten-for.

Should be a good last day Mousemat . Weather forecast good and usually they have a vastly reduced ticket price for 5th day .

Windies fought back well to set England 190 , and at 10 for 2 another early wicket or two will make things interesting .

England should win from here but you never know in sport .

Mikeyboy

Never knew England are 10 -2, Was out after the West Indies all out.... West Indies will win, With Strauss out, Will depend on Cook, Pieterson, Trott, Bell and Prior to bat England to win.... That is going to be difficult,,, But should be exciting day tomorrow for all cricket fans concerned...

Should be a good last day Mousemat . Weather forecast good and usually they have a vastly reduced ticket price for 5th day .

Windies fought back well to set England 190 , and at 10 for 2 another early wicket or two will make things interesting .

England should win from here but you never know in sport .

Mikeyboy

It was a great to see England win a test live and at only £10 :)

I was slightly worred when we were 4 wickets down but the pitch was always on our side.

Highlight of the day was during the lunch break as you are allowed to walk on the outfield - the pitch is like walking on air.