IGNORED

Skype calls from your mobile

Jumpin Jack Flash

Anyone use Skype on their mobiles/cells to call back home when you're in Thailand?

Seems like an easy and cheap solution but I wonder if there are any problems. I just got a new phone (HTC) and now have Skype on it so I'm planning on using that next time I'm in Pats to make calls back to the UK.

All you need is a data connection, wifi is one option but not the only option.

Yes.

I used on my last trip as I bought an internet package whist there.

I called a mate in Canada and did a video call showing him Drinking street and Walking Street.

He was blown away!

The video call feature worked surprisingly well.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I am getting a new HTC phone as well and it should work. I have a great access point in my room that I can connect to while on the beach so I think it would be pretty cool to video skype people while on the beach.

Slightly off topic but maybe this is old news or maybe this will help someone..... I use a mixture of skype and google voice right now for receiving regular calls. People back home can call a local number and that will be directed to my thai cell. I ported (1 time charge) my cell number to google voice then had that forward to my skype number (you have to pay for it). I then have skype forward the calls to my Thai cell if I don't answer skype quickly.

Now, with wifi, you can do it differently and cheaper but you do have to always be on wifi.... I can be in Isaan and still people can call my old number in the west and not really know where in the world I am at.

Skype works for me too. However I now use Viber for calls and WhatsApp for messages. Both are free to other users with mobiles and internet connection and I find Viber much clearer than Skype. No video calls however with this service.

Skype is a no brainer for anybody with a smartphone. I have used it all over the World with very little problems depending on the internet connection it's utilizing. It's worth putting 10 Euro credit on it to call land lines as the last time I did that was 6 months ago and i still have 6.50 left. I recommend using a WIFI connection but it works OK with a decent 3G connection as well.

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

i use it the other way around...mainly to call thai numbers "unlimited" for 10 euro a month. Use it on my PC and android phone. The sound quality isn't always that great, so i often have to ask to repeat what they have said. But because there's no real time is money feeling, it's okay.

Posted Image

I would reccomendation using a VPN such as PPTP from Witopia.com, it will be cheaper if calling UK land or gsm phone numbers it's also secure, great from any country that tries to block access to grot websites and Skype too! Skype to Skype is obviously free!

Skype works for me too. However I now use Viber for calls and WhatsApp for messages.

Agree, Viber my first option, then talkatone (free calls to usa), then Skype. Had a 30 min call on 3G with skype while in a taxi, but it doesn't always work like that.

Yes.

I used on my last trip as I bought an internet package whist there.

I called a mate in Canada and did a video call showing him Drinking street and Walking street.

He was blown away!

The video call feature worked surprisingly well.

What Brand/model phone do you have?

I did from my iPhone and It was great in wifi and sometimos even on 3G

I set up my visa card so when i Have less Than 2€ Skype recharge me 11€ automatically

What Brand/model phone do you have?

I have an iPhone.

I don't understand everyone saying it costs money???

If you have Internet coverage it is free to another computer.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I have an iPhone.

I don't understand everyone saying it costs money???

If you have Internet coverage it is free to another computer.

I assume people are talking about calls to landlines or mobiles without internet but would be interested to know. I've got an ancient phone with no internet but have been thinking about getting a modern one and a Skype connection. Very confused with Androids, Symbians, Smartphones, Blackberrys etc. (haven't quite caught up with the idea that you use your phone to do anything other than call people 555).

I have a Galaxy S2. Have not tried skype yet, but I use an app called "Line" to chat and talk to the GF. Its getting quite popular with the Thai girls. Available on android and Iphone.

Not totally on topic but I'll put it here anyway, I get a 1Gb 3G internet package from truemove for 350 baht per month.

I use 3G when out and about and Wifi where I can. Enough data for me not to run out for the month.

Laptop in the room is on Wifi.

Not totally on topic but I'll put it here anyway, I get a 1Gb 3G internet package from truemove for 350 baht per month.

I use 3G when out and about and Wifi where I can. Enough data for me not to run out for the month.

Is this available for prepay as well?

Is this available for prepay as well?

Sure is. I use prepay.

Anyone use Skype on their mobiles/cells to call back home when you're in Thailand?

Seems like an easy and cheap solution but I wonder if there are any problems. I just got a new phone (HTC) and now have Skype on it so I'm planning on using that next time I'm in Pats to make calls back to the UK.

I use Skype here on my HTC, one problem you should be aware of. On the HTC (some if not all) has a proximity sensor that turns off

your screen when you put it to your ear. And for some reason it also throttles back on the Wifi, at least that is the most up to date theory i have read.

My lower quality phone doesn't have this problem at all... just the HTC. So when you make a skype call and the quality goes all to shit.... switch over to the

speaker phone or plug in the headphones and don't holster the phone. (you can also leave it off speaker and hold it away from you head but thats no fun)

I would tell you the suggested fixes I got from HTC, but they didnt work. There are

some proximity sensor control app's or screen blanking overrides (like Screebl) that over-ride the screen blanking part that some say might help. (for me using speaker or headphones is better)

If this is where we all wanted to end up.... we have done everything perfectly.

"We mock what we don't understand" (Spies Like Us)

“It's always funny until someone gets hurt.

Then it's just hilarious.â€

― Bill Hicks

BTW here is one of the links I ran into when researching this HTC Skype problem

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Software-Apps/skype-over-wifi-htc-desire-quality-problems/td-p/311864

If this is where we all wanted to end up.... we have done everything perfectly.

"We mock what we don't understand" (Spies Like Us)

“It's always funny until someone gets hurt.

Then it's just hilarious.â€

― Bill Hicks

i use Rebtel

much cheaper , and not bad quality at all

you can also use nymgo , but u will need to install fringe then configure fringe to use nymgo sip

Sure is. I use prepay.

Excellent - thanks! I'll see if I can set that up when I last in the airport (AIP, if I recall..)