Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Reader’s Letter – Coke’s Thailand Ads Are Disgusting

Pattaya One

Dear editor,

On this visit to Pattaya, I have seen a totally tasteless advert on TV for Coca Cola, which highlights the Tsunami, the killings in the South, the floods and general adversity, but it all ends very happily with schoolkids singing, people rebuilding, and, of course BUY COKE!!

I find these ads deeply offensive, but my Thai girlfriend says I don’t understand the text, which is that bad things happen but your life goes on (and presumably BUY COKE!!).

Contrary to what she thinks, I think I do understand it, and I find it cynical and disgusting.

If Coke are going to market their products on the back of terrible disasters and political problems in Thailand, can we expect to see Coke ads in the US with the smoking World Trade Centre, people jumping to their deaths, and flag-draped coffins of brave warriors from Afghanistan and Iraq arriving on a C130, with the cheery message that “Life goes on’", with a pack shot of  Coke?

Or are they indulging in cynical “disaster marketing" in Thailand which they could never get away with in the USA or elsewhere for that matter.

I think these offensive ads in Thailand should be pulled.

John Mc.

By Email

Editor

I’ve seen the advertisements you refer to, and share some of your concerns. But again, my Thai friends don’t.

InPattayaNow?d=yIl2AUoC8zA InPattayaNow?d=qj6IDK7rITs
yENpJ6XBcUQ

View the full article

hes got a point.

i also noticed a recent 'coke' add with a load of thai kids signing to the tune of 'whatever' by Oasis. The melody is exactly the same.

Reckon Liam and Noel know about this???! - they probably do actually, easy money and no one's gonna see it in england...

post-44180-0-59180800-1344972136.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif