• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jerry

• capricorn

• 999Baht

• Scumbag

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The earlier models (eg S90 and S95) are well regarded by mongers so I am sure the S100 will follow suit.

BTW bypass the linked article because any camera reviewer who states that a dedicated camera is 'leagues above the quality on even an iPhone 4s' should be ashamed of themselves... :GoldenSmile1: This review is far more informative: Canon S100 Review.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Are you saying then that some phones are just as good as this type of camera, you've got me thinking now as I need both, the camera I've got on my phone is crap compared to a dedicated camera, but then again it is an older Nokia , they must have come on leaps and bounds if what you're saying is right.

Are you saying then that some phones are just as good as this type of camera, you've got me thinking now as I need both, the camera I've got on my phone is crap compared to a dedicated camera, but then again it is an older Nokia , they must have come on leaps and bounds if what you're saying is right.

There is no phone that has a camera even remotely close to the quality of any of the powershot Canons. I think the nokia new smartphones have decent cameras as far as phones go but nothing close to a good camera. With the Nokia you have to put up with the crap symbian software to.

Many people use this Camera over in Thailand.

Alleycat uses it and I hope you have seen the quality of the picture he takes.

I think he has also used the s90 and s95.

I had to buy a new camera of my up and coming trip and I bought this exact camera.

So far I am really happy with the quality of the pics and how small the camera actually is.

For it's size, image quality and performance in low light I doubt there is a better point and shoot camera for us mongers who want a camera they can carry in their pockets.

I can not wait to take many great photos of beautiful women over there.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Has anyone had any experience with this camera? It seems to be getting excellent reviews. The Wirecutter says it's the best point-and-shoot camera of all time. http://thewirecutter...ws/canon-s100/. Thanks.

Several threads on the forum too eg.

canon.JPG

Several threads on the forum too eg.

canon.JPG

Oh I did not know about the video samples thread.

I will have to check that out now!

Nice way to say.....use the search function BTW. :)

Nice way to say.....use the search function BTW. :)

Hmmmmm... when was I ever not nice?

........but yes. :hello09:

Hmmmmm... when was I ever not nice?

........but yes.

If I looked up nice in the dictionary I would most likely see a picture of you. 5555

To the OP...I just checked out a few videos from the s95 and have to say that the quality is very good!

I'm sure you can not go wrong with this camera.

Has anyone had any experience with this camera? It seems to be getting excellent reviews. The Wirecutter says it's the best point-and-shoot camera of all time. http://thewirecutter...ws/canon-s100/. Thanks.

Oh I did not know about the video samples thread.

I will have to check that out now!

Here is a short vid I shot last Christmas with the S100.

Night time, handheld on a motorbike taxi with drunken shaking hands. No tweaking at all, just press and record. The quality of this .avi file is lower than the original (and bigger) file.

3 BMs can be recognized :) Don't know how long it will remain on Youtube as the soundtrack I chose is copyrighted though.

Ex board addict.

Here is a short vid I shot last Christmas with the S100.

Night time, handheld on a motorbike taxi with drunken shaking hands. No tweaking at all, just press and record. The quality of this .avi file is lower than the original (and bigger) file.

You have convinced me that I made the right choice with the camera.

Perfect quality for Youtube!

Great choice of song....wow the roads are very busy during this time.

Every new camera is the 'greatest of all time in their category'. What would be the point of putting out a new model if it wasn't better?

The question is, how much better is it? I have the S95 and at one point took a look at the reviews of S100. S100 is just a sliver better than S95 so I don't think it's worth the money to upgrade. If you can score S95 for cheap, it's probably a better deal.

Also, my S95 broke when it touched just a little bit of water. Most of these P&S are pretty crappy in terms of build quality. They are super easy to brake. (compared to my DSLR which takes quite a beating.) Be careful.

The question is, how much better is it? I have the S95 and at one point took a look at the reviews of S100. S100 is just a sliver better than S95 so I don't think it's worth the money to upgrade. If you can score S95 for cheap, it's probably a better deal.

Exactly, there's no real need to upgrade if you already have an S95 or even an S90. For the record, Alleycat still uses the S90 and we all know the quality he can achieve with that "old" camera.

Also, my S95 broke when it touched just a little bit of water. Most of these P&S are pretty crappy in terms of build quality. They are super easy to brake. (compared to my DSLR which takes quite a beating.) Be careful.

Yes, P&S are fragile cameras. I've owned DSLRs too, of course they're bulkier and sturdier but I personally can't be arsed to bring one with me when I'm on a night out on the piss. If I only had a DSLR and no pocket camera, I would never have shot the vid I've posted above.

Ex board addict.

Have a look at this site to find out that the S90 and S95 are slightly better cameras then the S100

but the S100 has some extra futures like a 5x wide angle zoom and better video quality .

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts?sort=Chronological&view=Grid

but the S100 has some extra futures like a 5x wide angle zoom and better video quality .

Thanks for the find.

The thing is that these are the 2 features that I find very important.

I was using a Sony hx9v and the video quality on this was amazing.....until it broke when I dropped it.

This time I went straight for the s100...I actually got it at a really great price.

I think that unless you are an expert (& I certainly am not) you will not really notice much difference in the shots between the s90's to s100.

Thanks for the find.

I think that unless you are an expert (& I certainly am not) you will not really notice much difference in the shots between the s90's to s100.

No probs ,

The photo quality between these cameras will depend more on the person that handles them then the camera itself .

The more pics you make the better you know how to use it .

The photo quality between these cameras will depend more on the person that handles them then the camera itself .

The more pics you make the better you know how to use it .

The sad thing is that most people never take these cameras out of the full automatic mode. The also don't take a little time to study how to compose a photo to make it more interesting. I think most have no or little understanding of the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. As a result very few improve their photography over time.

For people who do want to improve have a look at something like this: Better Photos with your Compact Camera. Unfortunately this is a new video and there doesn't appear to be a torrent of it yet. I have watched other videos of his and they are very good.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

For people who do want to improve have a look at something like this: Better Photos with your Compact Camera. Unfortunately this is a new video and there doesn't appear to be a torrent of it yet. I have watched other videos of his and they are very good.

Do you have the set of 3 - Advanced Digital SLR? :Think1:

Do you have the set of 3 - Advanced Digital SLR? :Think1:

Yeah, after posting what I did I thought I would post links to his stuff but I had something to do before I could. I have put them in a new thread: Want to Improve Your Photography?

• 2 weeks later...

I have read alot about it and haven't found anything that looks better in the same category, so I will probably buy the s100 when I get to Thailand :)

Play on, player!

There is no phone that has a camera even remotely close to the quality of any of the powershot Canons. I think the nokia new smartphones have decent cameras as far as phones go but nothing close to a good camera. With the Nokia you have to put up with the crap symbian software to.

The phones match the cameras almost in the number of pixels, but don't have optical zooms, no makros, little or no manual modes, no or poor flashes, and usually no HD video. The last Canon Powershot I purchased records vdo in 1080p, that's amazing. You see every pore on the skin, and every hair the last shave missed on the Thai girl you snap. Canon's auto focus is particularly good, while a Sony I had which made 720p videos was completely useless because it zoomed in and out, and the picture remained sharp for moments at best. If you plan to video small items which move, say a clit, buy a Canon. It had a nasty surprise for me however, every model I had before made videos in AVI format, while the HD videos come as 'MOV', and my cutting software couldn't read it. Never solved the problem, but lost the interest in photography.

The phones match the cameras almost in the number of pixels, but don't have optical zooms, no makros, little or no manual modes, no or poor flashes, and usually no HD video.

You forgot to mention very small sensors. That means more noise (especially in low light conditions) and lack of control of the depth of field. Also the lack of anything close to good quality data processing and you can forget about raw files to compensate for it.

Just bought S100 today, very exciting and leaving for lol in two weeks, hopefully can bring some nice photos to share. Only one problem ten battery is sucks, is it true?

Just bought S100 today, very exciting and leaving for lol in two weeks, hopefully can bring some nice photos to share. Only one problem ten battery is sucks, is it true?

Battery is good for 100/150 pics . Put of the flash when possible and it will go up to 200/250 pics . More then enough for 1 day .

Edited by jerry

...If you plan to video small items which move, say a clit, buy a Canon. It had a nasty surprise for me however, every model I had before made videos in AVI format, while the HD videos come as 'MOV', and my cutting software couldn't read it. Never solved the problem, but lost the interest in photography.

I have an older model, s95 - absolutely brilliant camera.

One thing - a MOV is a standards-compliant Quicktime media container. It's usually wrapping a h264 MPEG4 video file; it's really a standard in video. Since you can't read it, I'm assuming you're running on a Windows machine? Perhaps this thread might help you import it..