Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai style house renovation or rebuild.

ziggi

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some help regarding my lady's house in kuchinarai kalasin,as you can imagine she wants me to build her a new house,and i'm not a cheap charlie i just dont have the dosh.Been seeing her for 3 years more and i'm very fond of her,i'm not a young man and you never know whats round the corner,but i want to make sure she's not left with nothing.

I come to thailand 3 to 4 times year and i've been to the village and i've seen the poverty and met some of the neighbours and i had a good time.

What i was thinking was renovate the existing house to give a kitchen and maybe another toilet shower area,and add a bit at the front to make a little shop so she would have something to fall back on if anything (god forbid) should happen to me.

The other alternative was to take down the existing house and rebuild a similar one with more inside,we would still have the existing columns and foundations so we would not have to start from scratch.

I know there are probably locals who could do the work and i know there are many long term ex pats on the forum maybe somebody has had a similar project and could give me an idea of how much the costs would be,i would appreciate any info.

Cheers Ziggi.2canon 017 (Large).jpg

As long as the foundation and supporting columns are in good condition, that looks like a decent "Thai" house where a Thai could easily live.

So adding on or bring up to date what is existing may be good.

It does'nt look like the roof is insulated, so that can be a start. I would think the inner walls are the same as the outside, so maybe you would finish the inner walls in hardiflex/sheet rock, and insulate the walls also. Pun in some efficient windows. Then you can add an aircon to make it cooler inside.

I don't see any plumbing pipes so I am guessing all bathroom and shower is located somewhere else. They are used to that type of living already, so no need to add any running water to the existing house.

Planning for her future and giving her a way to earn when you are gone is a good idea. So that would be a good investment rather than build a new house that all her neighbors can envy.

Edited by Candidographer

This is a pic. of my wifes old house after the builders had renovated it back in 2005 I cant remember the cost but I can remember thinking how very cheap it was, but dont accept the first quote, shop around

misc 1158-001.JPG

This is a pic.of my house I had built in 2008 the total labour cost was 134,000 which I consider very reasonable

23022009020.jpg

• 5 months later...

ziggi

If you are still considering work on the house my advice would be to get started as soon as possible as costs are rising all the time