IGNORED

Motorcycles in Pattaya

fugazi123

What are the normal rental rates for a bike in Pattaya? and are their any issues (besides personal safety) with riding there? Will my Texas drivers license allow me to legally ride a bike there?

Most small motorcycles are not insured, other than the compulsory insurance that offers limited cover to anybody injured in an accident. Even that is void if you don't have a valid licence.

If your Texas licence is endorsed for motorcycles it should be ok, but it is a good idea to get an International Driving Permit to carry along with it.

Here is a webpage that covers motorcycle rental; last up dated in 2009, but not a lot will have changed.

http://www.pattayaun...in-pattaya.html

Edited by Micky2

Most small motorcycles are not insured, other than the compulsory insurance that offers limited cover to anybody injured in an accident. Even that is void if you don't have a valid licence.

If your Texas licence is endorsed for motorcycles it should be ok, but it is a good idea to get an International Driving Permit to carry along with it.

Here is a webpage that covers motorcycle rental; last up dated in 2009, but not a lot will have changed.

http://www.pattayaun...in-pattaya.html

AFAIK it is not only a good idea to have an international drivers license with you, it is even required. I don't think your normal license by it self has any value outside the country.

Great information! Thanks guys!

Your foreign DL (in your case from USA) means nothing in Thailand, you'll need an International, in the event of any legal issues you'll need to show the International along with your home country licence.

Just go to AAA and get International DL for $15.

If they pull your license it'll cost you 400 baht and about an hour of your time to get it back.

Get the international license.

Also, take care who you rent from. Make sure they are reputable and not known for scamming.

And it probably needs to be said. It's gotten a lot harder to have a drink and ride around.

Ride on!

Edited by Tengu

It wasn't me

$8 in UK Post Offices or from AA and the correct name is International Driving Permit, as Micky said.

It's just a very basic translation and not a licence as such.

As said, the main point in the context of this thread is that you need to have the Motorcycle category on your home DL (and in the IDP).

There are two types of IDP, 1926 and 1949. Thailand requires the 1949 one (as if the BIB would know the difference!)

Edited by Wicked Roger

I recently started a whiskey diet......I've lost three days already!

$8 in UK Post Offices or from AA and the correct name is International Driving Permit, as Micky said.

LOL, I was wondering where or who AAA was.

LOL, I was wondering where or who AAA was.

It's for Americans I think?

Alcoholics Automobile Association?

Hey Edge, that's a different thread :WinkGrin1:

It wasn't me

Although we rent out bikes I always tell guys, " if you don't absolutely NEED one, dont ride one ", its too dam dangerous.

Just the other day I was riding along and slowed down for a speed hump, a lady coming in the opposite direction obviously did not know the hump was there and tried to slow rapidly and fell off right in front of me, I went right over her luckily missing the small child that was behind her, I also came off but as so slow no damage but she was pretty knocked about.

Thankfully she told the Thai people who came rushing to help the truth that she fell off and I could not avoid hitting her, and I helped with her wounds and on my way, but quite a shock and I get closer to not riding a bike here, its only really convenience and the fact I don't have to sit in traffic that I ride one at all.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

I always get one cos i enjoy going for a ride out in the afternoon. To be honest i don't need to get one as you can get pretty much any where quickly and cheaply but as said i enjoy it and ride at home.

I just paid 200 baht a day on last trip for a 125 scooter, you can pay less or more depending on the scooter and the place.

As said earlier it came with no insurance, it was stamped across the rental agreement so very clear.

It is dangerous so if you don't normally ride a bike don't bother, it could wreck your hol (could still wreck mine but i chance it)

As a two week tourist, I would never ever cosider renting a motorbike in Pattaya.

1. Its too fcukin dangerous.

2. I'm always drunk.

3. Motobike taxi's and Baht buses are cheap as chips, and everywhere, at the drop of a thai girl's knickers.

4. What do you wanna drive around for? ..................Lets be honest, the place is pretty much a shithole.

5. I dont wanna give the BIB more opportunity to fcuk me over.

6. Insurance issues.

7. etc etc

The list is probably non-exhaustitive.

p.s. Did I mention I'm always drunk?

Edited by Stupid

As a two week tourist, I would never ever cosider renting a motorbike in Pattaya.

2. I'm always drunk.

3. Motobike taxi's and Baht buses are cheap as chips, and everywhere, at the drop of a thai girl's knickers.

4. What do you wanna drive around for? ..................Lets be honest, the place is pretty much a shithole.

6. Insurance issues.

7. etc etc

:Agree1: I could not explain any better than that except I dont drink no more,,,,, :hello09:

2. I'm always drunk.

6. Insurance issues.

7. etc etc

All good points , i'm in patts for 2 or 3 months at a time and no thoughts on riding/driving anywhere.

Mikeyboy

But not always Stupid huh?

AAA or triple A is a towing insurance co. If you buy their policy they either have a towing company they contract with, or pay the company in the area you are at. Now they sell travel insurance, and also are a Travel Agency.

I believe it stands for American Automobile Association. But it doesn't say on their card, or in their magazine.

And yes you must have a valid drivers licence with a motorcycle endorsement. And it is a permit, valid for 1 year.

Another good hint is to photograph the bike as you rent it to show any scratches or damage. Make sure the renter sees you do it. I have done it each time I have rented a bike in Thailand and never had any issue when returning them.

the prices you guys give for IDLs are pretty good compared to Australia. I think I last paid $35 at the RAC in Perth, that's a lot for a piece of cheaply printed card with a photo glued on. It takes them about 25 seconds to glue in the photo and stamp it and hand it over.

Hey Edge, that's a different thread :WinkGrin1:

Sorry, I thought I saw the badge on CheapChalee's chopper - my mistake, must have misread it. :hello09:

2. I'm always drunk.

6. Insurance issues.

7. etc etc

Because it's fucking awesome fun. It's a real test of skill at times, come back over the hill from Jomtien and where the Sois merge before 2nd RD.. hectic. Try going to Rayong on a 100 like me and the TGF.... dangerous, exhilirating and fuuuuuun...

I love how it works, even with the mayhem it works

Well I'm goin on 60, I'm older than most. Won't be long now and all I'll be is a ghost

Because it's fucking awesome fun. It's a real test of skill at times, come back over the hill from Jomtien and where the Sois merge before 2nd RD.. hectic. Try going to Rayong on a 100 like me and the TGF.... dangerous, exhilirating and fuuuuuun...

I love how it works, even with the mayhem it works

I can see why you would do it cuzzy, being a Biker Dude and all that. I dont ride motorbikes back home, (I had one once, but I thought I'd get rid before I killed myself). Therefore I would'nt thank you for one in Pattaya. I understand how some guys get off on Bikes, and thats ok, accepted. But to me, there's a lot safer places to be having fuuuuuuun on motorbikes other than Pattaya.

I would'nt rent a motorbike in Pattaya, pretty much for the same reasons I would'nt go skydiving, Bungee Jumping, BareBacking, or rent a fcukin JetSki in Pattaya!!

Each to their own, and be safe havin fun mate. :)

Edited by Stupid

But not always Stupid huh?

Some would say different :D

I suppose there's different level's of Stupidity Edge, getting Blitzed every day on Beer (whilst on holiday), would be one level some would say, in a place where there's so many beautiful girls to shag, but, riding a Motorcycle, when you are not familiar with it, in a place where the number of people killed on Motorcycle's every year is horrendous, (wont bore you with stats, we all know how dangerous it is), IMO this would be taking my stupidity to another level.

I owe my kid's more, than to take that risk.

Edited by Stupid