IGNORED

Common visa for ASEAN countries by 2015. End of Visa runs?

vermut12

Old news and possibly mentioned before but I have watched a report about it again today on the TV. They say that ASEAN countries want to implement 1 visa system for all ASEAN member countries. It is similar to the Schengen zone in Europe. I.e. the movement between any of these countries will not be considered as a border cross and there will be no passport control (there will be id check of course but no stamps).

In the light of this event what's going to happen to the visa runs? It seems that the matter will become more complicated.The nearest possible candidates are China and India but all of them are at least 2 hours flight away so no cheap minibus trip.

Any news if they will make it easier to obtain some sort of residence status or prolong your stay without leaving the borders of the countries.

• 3 weeks later...

ASEAN countries already have a mutual visa waiver scheme, so your TGF can easily go with you to Vietnam or Cambodia (probably easier than you). However, the richer ASEAN countries (especially Singapore and Malaysia) are wary about working girls coming from the poorer countries and give any they suspect of being on the game a reduced stay, usually 15 days.

I can't see free movement between ASEAN countries becoming a reality in the near future, so I wouldn't worry too much about your Thai visa runs.

At a guess visa runs would still continue for those people from non ASEAN countries. Also just because there is a visa agreement in place does not mean they dispense with entry check points. A bit of common sense goes a long way.

At a guess visa runs would still continue for those people from non ASEAN countries. Also just because there is a visa agreement in place does not mean they dispense with entry check points. A bit of common sense goes a long way.

I think what the OP is implying is that there will be a common visa for all the member countries. If this is the case once the visa is nearly finished you can not just hop across the border into another member country to renew it. When you return you would still have the same number of days remaining as you had not left the visa zone (or whatever it is called).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I recently watched a report about this on Thai TV. My understanding of it is that they are considering introducing a single ASEAN visa for tourists, so they can move around freely and easily between various countries for a limited period without having to keep visiting embassies to get visas. It would only be available to bona fide tourists with itineraries, and it would be highly unlikely anyone could keep getting this visa for long term stays in any particular country.

The problem I see with this tho is that at present some countries dont require a visa for a limited stay (thailand 30 days, malaysia 90 days). If this goes ahead then the countries that dont do this (vietnam for example) may insist that other participating countries make a visa compulsory for sort term visitors.

Yeah, I meant that they were introducing a common visa for foreigners. Not only for member states.

The problem I see with this tho is that at present some countries dont require a visa for a limited stay (thailand 30 days, malaysia 90 days). If this goes ahead then the countries that dont do this (vietnam for example) may insist that other participating countries make a visa compulsory for sort term visitors.

It all depends on your nationality. I for example can enter Vietnam visa free (same as Thailand) and stay for 30 days. No visa to Laos for 15 days also. Australian nationals as far as I know need to buy a short time visa. So it's not a general rule and unlikely to happen as you say.

• 2 weeks later...

It also worries me being in Cambodia I have 12 month mutli entry visas I can get at any number of places by just presenting my passport. If they decided to try an standardise Visa's, the Cambodians may do away with this. I like not having to piss around doing visa runs etc

Yeah, I meant that they were introducing a common visa for foreigners. Not only for member states.

It all depends on your nationality. I for example can enter Vietnam visa free (same as Thailand) and stay for 30 days. No visa to Laos for 15 days also. Australian nationals as far as I know need to buy a short time visa. So it's not a general rule and unlikely to happen as you say.

Laos I had to buy the Visa at the border 1600b,