IGNORED

Thailand joins Congo as "not-free" countries

Braveheart

Extracted from The Nation

Another major setback for Thailand's international standing and reputation as it joined Congo as the newly "not-free" countries this year in a major survey of global freedom released Wednesday.

Freedom in the World 2007, a survey of worldwide political rights and civil liberties done in New York, found that 45 countries are not free, representing 23 percent of the world's inhabitants. About one-half of those living in Not Free conditions inhabit one country: China.

But the same survey said that the percentage of countries designated as free has remained flat for nearly a decade and suggests that a "freedom stagnation" may be developing.

The continued weakness of democratic institutions

What was the military regimes estimated time for the elections to return the country to democracy?

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it?

A death. What's that, a bonus ? I think the life cycle is all backwards.

You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities.

You become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating... you finish off as an orgasm.

It's perfect !

I read the Nation and Bkk Post every morning over my bacon sarnie and cuppa in Shearers bar near where I work (my last true link to "home" some might argue).

Over the last few days many of the headlines have been about the CNS's attitude and actions over Toxin travelling abroad - the latest being the diplomatic row with Singapore.

It strikes me that whatever we think about Toxin, both as an individual, politician and leader, the CNS would do well to remember that he was an ELECTED leader and they are not. It reflects very badly on Thailand that the (entire?? - in essence) governmental procedure is currently run by NON elected individuals.

I fully accept that this can be a rather emotive issue but comment/debate will be read avidly, by me at least!

I am NOT actually overtly criticising the CNS, neither in the way they came to power or in the appointments they have made, mainly because I was rather pleased to see Toxin go, but I DO think they are being very selective in "forgetting" this particular fact.

In reply to manggaawns question - I think it was "within 12 months" but that has been argued, deliberated and changed a few times with contradictory statements as is so often the case here. Whatever the timescale it is worth noting that Thailand was only deemed "partly free" PRIOR to the coup so even a quick return to (apparent) democracy would not push it into the "free" category.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Thanks Whitespider. The previous constitution was voided, is the 12 month timetable also include the ratification of a new one, and elections? What will be done with all the appointments made by the CNS? Curious about your personal thoughts and the Thai people in general, my parants and grandmother lived under a military dictatorship as children. my maternal grandfather was imprisoned for 4 years, for being to vocal on the government. He was a general in the army at the time. He died of phenmonia due to the prisons conditons. It is said that no family in the country (Dominican Republic) was spared from losing someone to his rule.

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it?

A death. What's that, a bonus ? I think the life cycle is all backwards.

You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities.

You become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating... you finish off as an orgasm.

It's perfect !

In reply to manggaawns question - I think it was "within 12 months" but that has been argued, deliberated and changed a few times with contradictory statements as is so often the case here. Whatever the timescale it is worth noting that Thailand was only deemed "partly free" PRIOR to the coup so even a quick return to (apparent) democracy would not push it into the "free" category.

There are too many things outstanding with regard to human rights, freedom of speech and the overall handling of the situation in Southern Thailand for Thailand to move into the free category anytime in the near future. They will need to demonstrate that they are able to operate as a free country for some time before they will be upgraded to that point.

The 2 countries that were moved into the partly free category this year are a very long way away from being considered free and I don't really believe that they are much better if any than Thailand.

I would certainly feel much more personal safety in Thailand than I would in Haiti and I always believed that persona;l safety was one of the UN factors in determining a free country. This reeks of more UN patronage and bullshit to me.

I think some of these people handing out the "not free" stickers should try looking a bit closer to home. :Ban: :Ban: :Ban: :Ban:

MONKEYWATCH - The Truth Is In There

I think some of these people handing out the "not free" stickers should try looking a bit closer to home. :Ban: :Ban: :Ban: :Ban:

It's a Thai publication... :What1:

San Francisco Cocksucka !!!

"Hey, you ever hear, Tom, the Chinese whore has a ancient way of milking ya of yer sorrow, your loneliness and that awful feeling of bein’ forsaken?"

"Seems to me that’d leave you with nothing."

Very good point. How free is anyone? :P:P

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light" Spike Milligan