Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

CCTV in PATTAYA

LaaMok

Even when we go on holiday we get watched!! Ah well, good for us bad for the criminals. Personally i welcome changes like this making the city safer- thats if the police respond to it!! What do you guys think? Will it ever happen?

Locations for new CCTV cameras discussed in City Hall meeting.

"Pattaya City Hall is currently in the process of installing new CCTV cameras around Pattaya City in an attempt to suppress crime. Although the cameras are owned and operated by the City, they are actively seeking Police involvement in the scheme and on Tuesday Morning, this meeting attended by Khun Rongait, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya and senior officers from Pattaya Police Station held discussions regarding the best locations for the cameras. These cameras will be linked to the Pattaya City Call Center where it is hoped that crimes in progress can be spotted instantly. "

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_28_11_49.htm

Sorta good and bad

I don't like being supervised 24/7/365

which is what is happening and certianly you Brits have got plenty of cams.

Still when the shit hits the fan they can aleast identiify the people.

I now take a digi cam with me to film and sound record any incidents that might occur

I've had a fair bit of shit going on in the past few years that has required this action, I don't like it but it is

powerful and effective.

It actually saved me money in los, I'd hired a car in phitsanulok, had this kid try to ride a motorcyc between me a parked car and another motorcyc coming the other way on our side, needless to say 2 cars and 2 motorcycs don't go and he hit the other bike and my CAR.

Didn't stop, don't know how he stayed upright, but anyway I'd slowed thinking he'd stop but he didn't so I chased him thru the streets of phits me with a digi cam hangin out the window taking photos. I could see he'd hurt himself as he was riding one handed a bit and the brake lever on the side that hit me was bent way down.

I wasn't sure if I had got a good photo so I continued following him till he stopped at some lights. I jumped out of the car to talk to him he just tried to ignore me, so I left it at that other than I took a good photo of him and the rego number.

By then I was lost, lucky phitsanulok aint that big so I found my way, when I returned the car I pointed out the damage to the side of the car to the hire guy and explained I had a photo of the bike.

Took awhile for it to sink in cause he had no english and I may aswell have no thai in a situation like that.

Eventually we worked it out and he was saying aahhh no ploblem I call police and insurance you no pay AND I got my deposit back. :D

Member since Dec 06.

• 1 year later...

Have you ever see Walking Street empty every time there is a film crew Farangs walking past with there face covered just in case the Wife is watching back in good old blighty when he is supposed to be playing golf in the Algarve.

Can yu imagine the reaction to CCTV there would be guys walking about with ski masks on

Another source of income possibly for BiB flogging DVD's made from clips of CCTV footage of falangs having a knee trembler or getting the hell kicked outta them....

Many will find there way onto U-Tube without doubt...

It has its pluses but Pattaya is the sorta place where people prefer to go about daily life unnoticed for obvious reasons...

Have you ever see Walking street empty every time there is a film crew Farangs walking past with there face covered just in case the Wife is watching back in good old blighty when he is supposed to be playing golf in the Algarve.

Can yu imagine the reaction to CCTV there would be guys walking about with ski masks on

Usually when I see a camera crew on WS, I like to walk right in front of it, maybe next time i'll fit in a "Hi Mom" :GoldenSmile1:

• 2 weeks later...
Usually when I see a camera crew on WS, I like to walk right in front of it, maybe next time i'll fit in a "Hi Mom" :GoldenSmile1:

Hmmmmm you must not have a wife that could seen you in that movie :Bravo1: But if you do, keep her away from the movie. Or does she know where you are after midnight? If so and she's OK with it good for you. Than on the other hand I forgot to ask .... are you married?

Cheers

anyone see any cctv footage on u-tube?

<div align="center"><embed src="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/1/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/&clickLABEL=Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com&flashLABEL=Zoodu.com&pic=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/1/themes/1.swf&text=I%27m%20getting%20BJ%27s%20all%20day%20in%20BKK%21&bgColor=13421772&untilColor=65280&textColor=13421772&year=2009&month=9&day=8&hour=19&min=0&sec=0" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="175" name="show" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/">Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com</a></small></div>

I suppose if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

From a British perspective, Im a bit cynical of the CCTV revolution.

We are per capita, the most monitored nation in the world, but yet our crime rates do not fall ?

Hopefully the average Thai thief will think it will be something out of the movies and will be caught immediately for committing crime and may be safer in the short term anyway.

I'm not a big fan of big brother, but I think CCTV has gone some way to tackling the lawlessness in UK city centres.

Used to pinpoint trouble emerging and track offenders it could be very effective.

I wonder what the charge will be for the CCTV tape to accidentally get erased after some drunken stupidity?

Some lights, patrols and entrapment of pickpockets along beach road would probably do them more good.

Ok, here's the scenario. They put in 100 CCTV. Fast forward 12 months and the cost of maintaining them has proved costly so only half will be operating at anyone time. Plus the ones that are broken won't get fixed till the new year as they haven't got the money to fix them. And the 24 hour control room is only being manned during the day. Negative I know, but you only have to look at the construction of the illuminated monstrosity at the start of Walking St to figure out all will not go well!

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

Dont worry, its only to make us Brits feel more at home

We LIKE being snooped on and controlled (or we must do, because how else would there be so many CCTV cameras around the septic isle)

Next on the adgenda is guilty until proven innocent, and being punished multiple times for the same offence

Rule Britannia !!!!!! :D

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

I hear u hedonist - we're getting away, to get away [from the usual that is]

from what i've read, pattaya - with all it's exotic madness - is still relatively safe

the biggest challenge u have is deciding if she's a lady boy or not :-)

But seriuosly, South Africa has a really high crime rate and CCTV in the major city centres has gone a long way to reducing crime

i reckon it cant be a bad thing

besides, i'm yet to see any of it on the net somewhere

<div align="center"><embed src="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/1/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/&clickLABEL=Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com&flashLABEL=Zoodu.com&pic=http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/1/themes/1.swf&text=I%27m%20getting%20BJ%27s%20all%20day%20in%20BKK%21&bgColor=13421772&untilColor=65280&textColor=13421772&year=2009&month=9&day=8&hour=19&min=0&sec=0" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="175" name="show" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.zoodu.com/countdown-clock/">Countdown Clock by Zoodu.com</a></small></div>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excellent. So I can now get filmed on the way, during and on the way home from my holiday without my consent.............you gotta hand it to Orwell.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

CCTV, ah, what a great topic. Never saw anyone walk into a strip club in the states withcameras pointed right on them for abvious reasons (that feeling of guilt). Cameras aren't a badthing and go unnoticed being placed in strategic areas. Out of sight, out of mind as I see plus it's the way the world is going, just like digital fingerprinting when leaving there. As long as its in the right hands it helps out greatly when you are a victim of the crime and the authorities can pull that tape identifying the perp. I would be more worried about the curious partner you left in the room for the night to f=go out "drinking". Pattaya was safe before, this just adds to thesafety around the area.

Much of the criminal element is so well connected in Pattaya I'm sure most of the time if there is an incident the recording machine will have inexplicably been offline. You can be sure there won't be any recordings of nightclub security going 10 to 1 on Farangs being released.

Yes or anything that involves the Thai mafia and lets face it they control a lot of the drug supply and criminal activity in the city. It isn't always easy to prove that it is someone on CCTV anyway.

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

The BiB and the local government spend a lot of time covering up the amount of crime against foreigners that occurs in Pattaya- even to the point of pressuring news outlets. The last thing they are interested in doing documenting it and risk it ending up on Youtube. The only thing the cameras will be allowed to record is petty theft or minor Thai-on-Thai violence.

I think you're right there.

"Up to me" since 2005

Honestly, it´s a good thing they have them.

Especially on beach road with all the falangs getting pickpocketed.

Personally though, I do definitely keep a low profile.

I don´t want to risk my retirement visa getting revoked.

Add life to your days,

not days to your life.

More eyes in the right places will always be a positive thing. Less crime in one of my favorite places in the world. Gets even better.