IGNORED

Ban on imports of used vehicles

Edge

Ban on imports of used vehicles

The Nation

30180164-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday approved the Transport Ministry's proposal to ban import and registration of second-hand vehicles. Four types of vehicles are targeted by the ban: motorcycles, sedans, pick-ups and vehicles that carry more than seven passengers.

The ban also aims to prevent or minimise the smuggling of parts used to assemble vehicles that can then be sold as new.

The initiative is viewed as being beneficial to domestic auto-makers as well as for the sake of public safety because ministry officials say many illegally assembled vehicles, especially motorcycles with large engine sizes, were being used for street racing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

I saw this today in the Bangkok Post and admittedly it did run a shiver down my spine as my car is made up of second hand/used parts from Japan, stuff knows where I will get spares now. Basically going to put a dint in the Japanese performance car market along with the larger capacity bike market in Thailand. My mechanic just opened up a new shop in Bangkok selling "new" imported cars so I guess he is now wondering how things will turn out.

It is good idea. Car composed different parts can be really danger. Resellers. midlemans, traffickers and receivers are using parts from crash, floods car and etc. I would not go in similar car.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

So its buy a car in Thailand from Thailand & yes Toyota all the way. :Wassup1: