IGNORED

Pattaya <-> Angkor Wat

madox

Hi,

I will be in Pattaya in May for 3 weeks and I would like to do a trip to Angkor Wat (3-5 days).

What is the best way to do that without much trouble?

Is there any tour company in Pattaya you can recommend?

I dont need an (expensive) big tour with hotels; I can organize that on my own but I think it would be good to have the transportation organized by a company.

What do you think? :-)

thx

Markus

It's too easy to work out the transport yourself, without paying an agent.

It's also better to stay loose and do it on the fly.

All the bus trips can be booked the day before at hotels and agents everywhere.

Go to the Cambodia section and read a few threads. There are many on the different ways you can travel.

A mate of mine who visits Pattya did this a couple of years ago and he said it was a brilliant place to visit....def gonna go myself during my next visit to Patts.....

Yeah I think I've read a few trip reports in the Cambodia section because you need to be aware of the new e-visa so you dont get scammed at the Thai border by all accounts!

If you google 'Bangkok to Angkor Watt' you come up with all the backpacker accounts of their bus/train rides and the visa scams. Reading them it sounds like just getting off the train/bus and then getting over the border to Siem Reap is an adventure in its self!

Also dont forget the new Thai visa restrictions now for land entries.....ie: if you arrive at Swampy and get the standard 30days holiday visa, if you then leave LOS and return by land you only get a 15day Thai holiday visa at the border. Returning by air I believe you still get the standard 30day visa.....?

Perhaps somebody who's done this can confirm this??

Thank you very much guys!

I' ll check out the Cambodia section for more information about the transportation. Sounds like it is really easy to do it on my own.

The visa restrictions are new to me... I have to read more about this.

Also dont forget the new Thai visa restrictions now for land entries.....ie: if you arrive at Swampy and get the standard 30days holiday visa, if you then leave LOS and return by land you only get a 15day Thai holiday visa at the border. Returning by air I believe you still get the standard 30day visa.....?

Perhaps somebody who's done this can confirm this??

You are correct about the numbers of days, but it's a Visa Waiver stamp you're talking about - you don't get any Visa that way.

He may be better getting a Multi Entry Tourist Visa if the days allowed don't work.

Cambodian e-Visa HERE

I did it about 2 yrs ago and it was super easy. Booked a minivan(everybody else in it was doing a border run) to Poi Pet border at a soi Diana travel agency (800b). Got an e visa online for $25. Shuttle picked me up around 7:00 and we were at the border before noon. Already having a visa I basically just walked threw. Hopped on the free shuttle to the bus terminal. Met a few fellow travelers there and shared a taxi to SR. I think it was $45 total including the tuktuk in SR($15 each). So it cost me about $40usd + visa and I was there by 3 in the afternoon.

Then I was off to PP to get a 60 day Thai visa that I later extended another 30 days.

Hey, thx... that sounds good and far less expensive then I thought.

A Minivan for 800 THB sounds fair and with the E Visa it should be easy as you described.

madox