IGNORED

Road Casualties during Songkran 2011

benny31

Road Casualties during Songkran 2011

The death toll settled at 271, lower than last year by 90. Highest counts of fatalities were reported in Ayutthaya, Nakhon Sawan and Bangkok, respectively. A total of 3,476 people were also injured, 326 people less than last year. The province with the most injuries was Nakhon Si Thammarat, followed by Nakhon Sawan and Chiang Rai.

As for the most common causes of accidents, driving under the influence of alcohol topped the list at 38.76 percent. The failure to wear safety helmets contributed to 32.59 percent of casualties among motorbike riders while up to 81.12 percent of road accidents involved motorcycles. The majority of accidents, or 57.73 percent, occurred on long, straight roads and another 35.18 percent occurred on local roads within communities. Most of the dead and the wounded, or 53.77 percent, were in the working age of between 20 and 49 while youth under 20 years old accounted for 28.08 percent.

Thanks for that read Benny .Interesting . Why do they think numbers are down ? Safety campaigns ?

I think its no coincidence that 80% + of accidents involved m/bikes , are there are so many of them and the riding standards are so poor .

Why all riders don't at least wear helmets is beyond me .

Mikeyboy

If you take into account the Islands numbers and other areas not included in these Stats the numbers are Scary

I posted some time ago Motir Bike Deaths and serious injurys The Numbers were amazing considering per head involved

Through proper head gear this would drop by over 30 percent less Deaths

Watch this space for by Sunday some Tourist will be Dead mark my words

The Road Safety Centre(?) now reports 210 deaths with 2,288 injured overall in 2,134 accidents up to 14th April 2012.

Chang Rai Times 15th April 2012.

Bloody Madness RIP to them all

smash 2.jpg

smash 3.jpg

smash 4.jpg

smash 5.jpg

And finally this made me Giggle so here you gorip 1.jpg

Cheers

GHOSTY999.gif

Edited by Pattaya Addicts Team
Removed a photo.

Hi ghost, that first picture you posted (the white guy who hit the sign post) is that for real and from thailand this year ? In his case i guess a helmet would not have made any difference at all. But for the thais that sadly die in scores it just boggles the mind that they trust buddah mote than helmets and seatbelts....

Hi ghost, that first picture you posted (the white guy who hit the sign post) is that for real and from thailand this year ? In his case i guess a helmet would not have made any difference at all. But for the thais that sadly die in scores it just boggles the mind that they trust buddha more than helmets and seatbelts.... Sometimes i wonder how many accidents have been caused by those flowers and amulets blocking the drivers view.

Edited by w1lly

Hi ghost, that first picture you posted (the white guy who hit the sign post) is that for real and from thailand this year ? In his case i guess a helmet would not have made any difference at all. But for the thais that sadly die in scores it just boggles the mind that they trust buddah mote than helmets and seatbelts....

Hi Matey

I think if memory serves me correct, their were Two of them along BR on a Super Bike, No Lids and winding it on. Was a few Years ago maybe Five ?

Cheers

Ghosty

When reading Songkran figures we have to remember that the casulties/accidents are only the reported figures, there are far more minor injuries that don't require visits to hospitals but people go to a local clinic. Also in the days/weeks following Songkran there are tens of thousands of people with ear canal & eye infections from contaminated water. Again there's no way to accurately record these figures as some folk go to hospitals, others to clinics and aothers buy OTC meds to treat themselves.

I also wonder how the vehicle insurance companies feel. Must be thousands of claims for damaged cars.

210 killed over four days of road accidents during Songkran period

BANGKOK, April 15 - Day four of the seven-day Songkran period between April 11-17 saw 66 deaths and 620 injuries in 580 road accidents on April 14, bringing the death toll to 210 with 2,288 injured overall in 2,134 road accidents, according to the Road Safety Centre.

Supakorn Wongprat, the centre chair, told a news briefing that driving under the influence of alcohol was the main cause of deaths at 45.17 per cent followed by speeding over the legal limit at 23.10 per cent.

Motorcycles were involved in the most accidents or 80.58 percent with pick-up trucks accounting for 11.93 per cent.

The northern province of Phichit recorded the highest fatalities with the number of deaths rising to nine over the past four days.

There were 271 deaths and 3,476 injuries during Songkran last year, according to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department’s Road Safety Centre.

Songkran road toll rises to 282

(TheNation Source)

April 17, 2012

A total of 29 people were killed and 291 road accidents occurred on Monday, the sixth of the seven dangerous Songkran holidays, a deputy director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said Tuesday.

Chatpong Chatputi, deputy director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said 308 people were injured in the 291 road accidents on Monday, a day which saw millions of people returning to Bangkok after the long Songkran break.

Chatpong said a total of 2,872 road accidents were recorded over the six-day period and the accumulated death toll rose to 282 while 3,059 people were injured.

Chatpong said 27 people were killed in the accidents on Monday and two other victims succumbed to injuries from earlier accidents.

Those killed on Monday included victims in Chiang Rai, Tak, Ratchaburi, Saraburi, and Udon Thani. These provinces saw two deaths each, Chatpong said.

Compared with last year, the number of death victims on the sixth day increased by 53 while the number of injured victims dropped by 113.

Chatpong said drunk driving remained the top cause of road accidents. He said about 36 per cent of the accidents on Monday were caused by drunk driving.

He said it was too soon to conclude that the measures to prevent road accidents on Songkran holidays had failed as the authorities have yet to analyse the data of the accidents.

I was In a Taxi on the 13th and the taxi driver was going to fast and the car in front stopped, The taxi driver swerved to miss the car in front and then a motor bike hit the taxi from behind, the Taxi driver didn't seem bothered but the motor bike rider had to go to hospital. The taxis rear bumper was hanging off and had to get another taxi to continue my Journey.

Wear a helmet for gods sake! All those dead pics are smashed helmet free heads. Hell, you can fall down in your own house and kill yourself by hitting your head. Add even moderate speeds and you are gonna be toast.

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

"...over the six-day period and the accumulated death toll rose to 282 while 3,059 people were injured."

So these are the death and intjured figures for 6 days in April in Thailand.

Here are the figures for the war in Iraq for the entire month of March 2012:

"According to data released by Iraq’s defense, interior and health ministries, 112 people were killed by violence in Iraq in March. The death toll included 78 civilians, 22 policemen and 12 soldiers and a further 357 were wounded in violent attacks."

Draw your own conclusions.

Thanks for that read Benny .Interesting . Why do they think numbers are down ? Safety campaigns ?

I think its no coincidence that 80% + of accidents involved m/bikes , are there are so many of them and the riding standards are so poor .

Why all riders don't at least wear helmets is beyond me .

Mikeyboy

Helmets are for the protection of the brain. When you see a person driving a bike at 50mph while taking a call on the mobile phone, this individual has no brain, and can waive the helmet. It is no coincidence that 80% of the accidents involve bikes because bikes are 80% + of all vehicles. I'm positive however that more than 20% of accidents are caused by cars too large or fast for their dim-witted drivers to handle, SUVs, Pick-Ups, Trucks, Vans, Buses. Those who double park, or in the middle of the street, cut recklessly the right of way, or into your lane, cut the corners with no regard of traffic coming the opposite way, drive with fog lights in a country where there is no fog, high beam as default mode, and at least double the speed suggested by common sense. One of the good reasons why you have such troubles to get your prostitute girlfriend to your country.