IGNORED

Getting A Driver's License in Pattaya

cigar7

Gents ,Has anybody been in a similar scenario,

I will be renewing my expired 1 year Driving Licences this time over for the 5 year ones. I will be entering Thailand on my 1rst passport due to where I work, and then get my 2nd passport sent to the UK for the  Non O visa and then sent back out to Thailand for me to use.

My question is will I be able to use my new but unused Non O Visa on my 2nd passport for the renewal of my driving licences, Or does it have to be in use for it to be acceptable for the renewal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gents ,Has anybody been in a similar scenario,

I will be renewing my expired 1 year Driving Licences this time over for the 5 year ones. I will be entering Thailand on my 1rst passport due to where I work, and get my 2nd passport sent to the UK for the  Non O visa and then sent out to Thailand for me.

My question is will I be able to use my new but unused Non O Visa on my 2nd passport for the renewal of my driving licences, Or does it have to be in use for it to be acceptable for the renewal.

I am not sure, but i think the answer will be no. You can not use the passport that you have not used to enter the country.

What are the advantages of getting a thai license, if you need the international license to drive legally anyway whats the point of going through all the hassle to get the thai license? genuine question, Im guessing there is more to it than being able to drive here?

What are the advantages of getting a thai license, if you need the international license to drive legally anyway whats the point of going through all the hassle to get the thai license? genuine question, Im guessing there is more to it than being able to drive here?

Mainly a means of ID which is accepted all over including as a form of ID for domestic flights ,as opposed to carrying your passport with you ,(which is a legal requirement although I have never heard it being enforced ) and also to save getting fleeced from the Boys in Brown for any alleged traffic infringements.

I am not sure, but i think the answer will be no. You can not use the passport that you have not used to enter the country.

I will be trying it regardless and I will post and let everybody know how I got along.

Obviously if you have Thai licence you do not need to get an international licence which is a pain in the ass to get if you are not in your home country.

Also with a Thai licence as ID you get into various places at Thai prices rather than Falang prices.

The BiB just wave you away when they see a Thai licence.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

• 3 weeks later...

ON the question of proof of residence ... I knwo you can also get a letter from you embassy (US, in my case).  I don't have a house book at the moment.

Does the embassy just take your word on your residence?  Do you need proof of your residence for  the embassy?

ON the question of proof of residence ... I knwo you can also get a letter from you embassy (US, in my case).  I don't have a house book at the moment.

Does the embassy just take your word on your residence?  Do you need proof of your residence for  the embassy?

I could be totally wrong of course, but why would the Thai accept a letter from a foreign embassy as proof of residence/address in Thailand? That does not make any sense.

But you do not need a house book, a rental agreement is also enough. And often even a hotel or guesthouse will give you one if you ask for it.

Cert of Residence are issued by the Thai authorities - immigration office - and you just need something that shows where you live - even something as simple as a business card from your guesthouse is often enough but a receipt (rent, water, electric, phone, internet connection, cable TV subscription) - nearly anything is usually OK.  If nothing is in your name and you live with your TGF at her house then take her along and get her to write a note saying you live there.  You have to state the reason for requesting a Certificate of Residence on the form and if you say "applying for Thai Drivers Licence" then the level of "proof" is not too onerous.

7 years ago it was just a small written and a eye test when you renew 1 hour vid  and eye test .now small test and 5 min road test at theD.M.V just follow THE TRAFIC

I have a Canadian driver's license for both car and big high speed motorcycle, also an international driver's license with the same. What happens at the license bureau in order to get a Thai car and motorcycle license? Do I have write a test or take road test or just do the paperwork and pay?

they ask for residence cert you also need more than a tourist visa to go from 1 year to 5 year .I went up north paid 400 baht at immigration then went to D.M.V  just eye test 1hour video

They don't seem to worry if it's expired, plus the new expiry date is based on your birthday for some reason i.e. I presume yours is in March.

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes to the Residence Certificate but no to the Medical Certificate.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got mine at the office near Mo Chit in BKK.  I needed:

• My current valid USA CA State drivers License. (Plus 1 copy)
  • The Health Form, which I got at Saimai Hosipital
  • My Passport with non-immigrant O visa (plus 1 copy)
  • A letter from Thai immigration, that I got courtesy of my sis-in-law who works for immigration

I had with me, but did not need, an international drivers permit.

The whole process took about an hour, most of which was spent in line for the physical tests (color blindness, depth perception, reaction time, and pheripheral vision). 

Cost 205 baht.  Easy Peasy.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I live in Pattaya and own my condo can somebody tell me how the hell I can get a 5 yr. license, i was under the impression once you do the initial 1 yr license when you renew it you get a 5 yr license this is no way the case, I have been renewing my license's (car and bike for the last 4 yrs) and every time I only get a 1 year license not 5, i have tried to get the licensing place to explain what the crack is and as usual they cant explain.

Do you need a certain visa to get the 5 yr license ? every time I enter Thailand I am on a 30 day on arrival tourist visa as i work 28 on 28 off.

Its a pain in the arse renewing both license's every year.

Cheers

Rod

Hello,

I live in Pattaya and own my condo can somebody tell me how the hell I can get a 5 yr. license, i was under the impression once you do the initial 1 yr license when you renew it you get a 5 yr license this is no way the case, I have been renewing my license's (car and bike for the last 4 yrs) and every time I only get a 1 year license not 5, i have tried to get the licensing place to explain what the crack is and as usual they cant explain.

Do you need a certain visa to get the 5 yr license ? every time I enter Thailand I am on a 30 day on arrival tourist visa as i work 28 on 28 off.

Its a pain in the arse renewing both license's every year.

Cheers

Rod

From what I gather you're in the same boat as I am. The only way I know to get it is to either have a retirement visa or a working visa...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

The important thing is the old one must have recently expired.  If it has not quite expired then you get a 1 year one.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

• 3 weeks later...

is it possible to get bike licence on a turist multiple visa ?

and residency cert.?

is it possible to get bike licence on a turist multiple visa ?

and residency cert.?

Yes.

There are plenty of threads/advice on here to take you through the process.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know what time the transport place opens?

It would be nice to have a thread with all the info stickied. I'm sure someone did a good one but I can never find it and have to go searching every year.

Maybe I was just lucky, I didnt have an international license and didnt have to do the written or road tests. It would have been an all day affair if I had.

+1  The International Driving Permit is really just an official translation of your local licence into English, so for those with a licence already in English and with it clearly indicated what type of vehicle that you are licensed to drive then don't be put off by not having the IDP.  (I didn't have an IDP and nor did my son about 6 or 7 months latert than me, but we both got our Thai licenses issued no problem.)

At PattayaTransport Center

Today changed my expiered 1 year tempory licence for a 5 years licence (motorbike & car ) providing Int licence, national lic , Thai expiered licenses , healt & residence certificates , and for each licence a set of copy's as normaly requested . Also my pasport with type O visa 1 year multiple entry.

Strange but i received ALL the copy's back and they only kept the originals .....T.I.T  :Think1:

Only had to do colour test and break test(may only use your right foot .....!!! ) and the depht sight test .

Total time  approx 2,5 hour , cost for the 2  five years  licences 1060 bht total . :GoldenSmile1:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

At PattayaTransport Center

Today changed my expiered 1 year tempory licence for a 5 years licence (motorbike & car ) providing Int licence, national lic , Thai expiered licenses , healt & residence certificates , and for each licence a set of copy's as normaly requested . Also my pasport with type O visa 1 year multiple entry.

Strange but i received ALL the copy's back and they only kept the originals .....T.I.T  :Think1:

Only had to do colour test and break test(may only use your right foot .....!!! ) and the depht sight test .

Total time  approx 2,5 hour , cost for the 2  five years  licences 1060 bht total . :GoldenSmile1:

Hi,

I have been through the process for my car licence. I would love to get the bike licence whilst up country.

Obviously if you have Thai licence you do not need to get an international licence which is a pain in the ass to get if you are not in your home country.

Also with a Thai licence as ID you get into various places at Thai prices rather than Falang prices.

The BiB just wave you away when they see a Thai licence.

"The BiB just wave you away when they see a Thai licence"   . :GrinNod1: (on condition you waring a helmet .....)

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Ok one mre question.

I am getting 300cc bike

I got 150cc scurer as well

I want do licence for bikes

If i drive there on scuter and pass it on scuter which is automatic and easier.

Would I be alowed to drive my 300cc bike on that licence.

Is it here any cc restrictions same as in uk or just 1 licence for all bikes...?

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Archived