IGNORED

Aussie Expats - fares/airlines to Oz?

kansuwan

Time to start planning an escape from Songkran(early I know ....).

I've done the regional bolt-holes, but fancy dropping down to Oz to see old pals in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.

Any prelim advice about fares BKK-OZ-BKK, Thai agents who offer good deals etc much appreciated.

Thanks (and a promise not to be rude about the cricket).

i checked with agents and direct but seems very expensive A$1200 plus. Cheapest option i found is bangkok -> KL then KL -> Syd/Mel about A$550 including taxes/fuel surcharge

Forgo to add above is on AirAsia nd can book online

Yes i'd also recommend air asia.

Thanks chaps! Any further input welcome.

Thanks chaps! Any further input welcome.

Sorry, forgot to add Scoot. They are owned by SIA and fly from BKK to SG then on to Gold Coast, Cheaper that Air Asia but there flight times and stop overs are a lot worse that stopping in KL, still its another option. The website is www.flyscoot.com

Cheers

Jon

For direct flights with Thai or Qantas it seems a lot cheaper (30% or more) originating in Australia than from Thailand. For OP maybe check flights from Phuket as well i think Virgin Australia fly direct may have some cheap airfares

• 3 weeks later...

I normaly fly direct from Melbourne to Bangkok with Jetstar its around $850 at the moment, but Scoot have a sale on Now to Sydney or the Gold Coat for around 20000 B or even less depending on the dates (with baggage). And you book on line.

Air Asia

Scoot

Jetstar

Royal Brunei into Brisbane and Melbourne. Flights into Sydney can be less than $80AUD

Book via their websites

Scoot is fine compared to air asia, means u transit sing instead of KL. only thing is their extra legroom seats in economy are more $ then jetstar and airasia. Joun scoot facebook page or email list for deals. They have a sale now.

Also, check Garuda website, they have cheap prices these days.

Lastly, I find for return flights, in the near future instead of months ahead, a full service airline is competitive with the low cost carriers. I recommend skyscanner.com and play around by selecting the whole month, or breaking it up into two seperate return flights eg bkk-sin and sin-syd, etc.

There can be cheap flights via perth sometimes, Then internal on a domestic carrier.

Trip Reports: May/June 2022 - 27 Leche Loads Jakarta/BKK/Pattaya

Popped my Cherry 2010 - Philippines - Part 1 & Thailand - Part 2  - Quick Trip Report BKK/Pattaya 2017

for fares from Bangkok to Australia you should be able to get fares ~ 20,000 baht retrurn with QANTAS,via their websitr.I also know that they do have sales with return wares for less than 15000b.

Ironically for fares from Australia to Bangkok the fares are nearly double

My family and I have always had luck with jetstar at around $200 - 250 fm Melbourne to BKK. We do wait for specials though and fly when it is the cheapest time. If you need specific dates then ensure you log in to the website and change region to Thailand. Same flights and same airline but if you do it through the Thai site ( it is in English also) it can be up to 25% cheaper.

200 - 250 in Australian dollars

Normally fly Air Asia from Gold Coast and they have fare for around $500 dollars return (15,000 baht) on sale. Scoot airlines got sale at the moment fly Bangkok-Singapore for 1950 baht and then Singapore-Gold Coast/ Sydney$138Sgd (3,500 baht). You can then book a direct return flight from eitheir Gold Coast/Sydney to Bangkok for $199 SGD (5,000 baht). Cheers

AirAsia no longer cheap in my opinion, Give flyscoot.com a try, i've booked them for Xmas/New Years and plan to use them again in April 2013

Royal Brunei...cheapest at the moment from Melbourne if you do not mind drinking and are able to stop over for a couple of hours

And some pretty excellent prices for business class on Royal Brunei, similar to economy on Thai.....

Plenty of good cheap flexible options now.

And some pretty excellent prices for business class on Royal Brunei, similar to economy on Thai.....

Plenty of good cheap flexible options now.

I think about $1800 return RB business class which is over half of any other airline, providing you can handle the stop over in Brunei its fantastic value

FXXX! I wish I lived in Australia. I was going to reccomend ASAP tickets as they are the cheapest by far from the US. I couldn't believe how much less it is on all the airlines you guys mentioned as compared to asap. Maybe I should get a job in the mines in OZ for the remainder of my years. Thinking about it.

I just bought SYD-BKK-SYD flights flying direct with Qantas for $725AUD The trick is to use http://www.expedia.ie (the irish expedia portal) where, after the conversion from euro to AUD, I saved $226 ($951AUD return through http://www.expedia.com.au for the same flights)

Aten't Expedia in trouble at the moment with the British authorities for price fixing allegations.

Just got some great Scoot fares on edreams.com

As my return to Sydney had expired and Thai wanted 12000baht for the one way i decided to check out expedia.

Got a one way from BKK to Sydney for $265 and the missus a return BKK>Syd for $645.

These have a 2-3 hour stopover in Singapore but with that saving well worth having a drink and meal at Changi.

Good luck.

Royal Brunei...cheapest at the moment from Melbourne if you do not mind drinking and are able to stop over for a couple of hours

You can drink your own duty free alcohol onboard and they will provide the mixes free.

It's not something they advertise though and I wouldn't recommend getting too intoxicated.

The planes are ok; they are leased from and serviced by Singapore Airlines and the onboard service is quite good.

Happy travels all.

Edited by The Big Lebowski