Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

R U Insured on that M/Bike? - R U Sure?

Edge

Lifted from Thaivisa :-

Travel insurance fails as Phuket tourist faces B600k medical bill

Phuket Gazette

bill.jpeg

Amy Myles with Sean Kenzie. Family and friends are struggling to raise funds for Sean’s spiralling medical expenses after travel insurance left him stranded in a Phuket hospital. Photo: Facebook

PHUKET: -- Family and friends of New Zealander Sean Kenzie, who suffered extensive injuries after being knocked off his motorbike in Phuket, have launched a campaign to raise funds to pay his spiraling medical bills.

Mr Kenzie, 27, was involved in a collision with a taxi van in Patong last Saturday (June 30).

He suffered a split liver, two punctured lungs and broken ribs. His neck has already had surgery to reattach the muscles and jaw. He now needs further surgery to fix his jaw.

His medical bill to date is NZ$16,000 and rising. The surgery to correct his broken jaw will cost about NZ$8,000 – a total of more than 600,000 baht, explained Sean’s brother, Kane.

“I’d like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to the cause, but we still have a long way to go,” Kane told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

“The NZ$16,000 is for surgeries that saved his life, but he also needs to fly back home and he'll need doctors after he gets back,” he added.

According to the support group’s Facebook page, as of this morning just over NZ$2,500 had been raised.

“We’d really like to get our son home and get him well. We are hoping for the goodwill of other human beings,” Sean’s mother, Nadine Mouritsen, told the Gazette from her home in Napier, New Zealand.

Sean was returning to his hotel room in Patong when the accident happened. He arrived in Phuket the day before with his boss from Perth, Western Australia, where Sean lives and works.

He was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, but doesn’t remember any details of what happened. “I checked into my hotel. I hired a little scooter; had a look around. The next thing you know, I was in here,” he told Channel 7 news from his hospital bed.

“I must have been hit from behind,” he added. Witnesses reported he was struck by a passenger van.

When his girlfriend, Amy Myles, arrived in Phuket the next day, Sean was in the intensive-care unit.

“If we had known that he wasn’t covered for a motorbike [accident], then he wouldn’t have hired one. He wouldn’t have been riding around on his first day,” said Amy.

“Sean paid more money to get the highest cover he thought was available to him. He was under the understanding that he was covered for everything,” she told reporters in New Zealand.

Sean’s mother and brother are likewise dumbfounded by the travel insurance policy specifically excluding medical expenses arising from motorbike accidents.

Mrs Mouritsen told the Gazette she was stunned that the policy, issued by a major travel insurance company and sold through the travel agent, did not cover injuries sustained in motorbike accidents – especially for people specifically travelling to Thailand.

“It seems so strange when it is the mode of transport for the country,” she said.

Kane explained that the policy, though sold as “full coverage”, had motorbike accidents set aside for “extra coverage” at extra expense.

“I understand a contract is a contract, but how you word it is critical. I have never been to Thailand but everyone knows motorbike accidents are common in Thailand. My first impression when you say ‘Thailand’ is motorbikes all jostling with each other to get in front.

“You would think motorbike insurance would be included when a policy is sold as ‘full coverage’, and that as an insurance company you would naturally include it…. Maybe they excluded it because it was costing them too much,” he said.

The Gazette notes that the slogan used by the travel insurance company is “…travel insurance you can trust…”

The effort to raise funds has been exhausting. “I haven’t slept for about two and a half days,” Kane told the Gazette this morning.

People wanting to make a donation can do so through Nadine Mouritsen’s New Zealand bank account with ANZ Bank (Account number: 11-6401-0087968-47), and through Jemma Tangohau’s Australian bank account with ANZ Bank (BSB: 014688; Account number: 454421766).

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16367.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-06

Yes I am provided it is above 125cc but age has taken its toll, I cannot understand wanting to get anywhere faster than a Bhat Bus can take me or if not a taxi, in extreme situation I will take a motorbike taxi after checking he is not more pissed than I am.

Yes I am provided it is above 125cc .............................

That's unusual. Do you mean under 125cc?

I am insured as long as the scooter is NOT over 125cc and is specified on my medical insurance.

Travel insurance never covers being on a motorbike, or having any accident when your pissed, or on jetski etc etc. (and most minor accidents are better paid by yourself due to excess ). Having said that ...for the cost of £50 you still are advised to have it for some level of security.

it's also advisable to find out what hospital your company deals directly with so you dont run into the situation of having to pay yourself then claiming back later.

but basically put we are F***ed when we go to LOS...you roll the dice and take your chances.

Death could be round the corner and life is cheap here. The more you try to dodge death tho the faster it sneaks up on you.

"Travel insurance never covers being on a motorbike, "

This is not correct and you should check out a few policies and companies, I have insurance that covers upto 125cc providing I am licenced to ride a motorbike, which I am. Several friends have policies with different companies with the same coverage.

For the Aussie BM's...

I use this travel insurance and they DO cover you on a motorbike - it's an add on which is pretty cheap.

http://www.travelinsure.com.au/

Here's the wording directly from the site:

Motorcycle & Moped Riding

If you wish to be covered for riding a motorcycle (including a moped) as the driver or pillion passenger, you must pay an extra premium.

Even if you pay the extra premium, you will only be covered if:

• the engine capacity is 200 cc or less
  • you're not participating in a professional capacity
  • whilst in control of the vehicle, you hold a license valid in the relevant country
  • you're wearing a helmet
  • you're not racing

Good luck and ride safe!

Cheers...

• 3 weeks later...

Sydney95b - by valid license do they mean car or do you specifically need a motorcycle license, and is a learner's motorcycle license ok in that case?

If I may interject.

A valid licence means that you have a licence for the category of vehicle you are driving, so no, a Car Licence doesn't cover you for a Bike and no, a Provisional doesn't count, because apart from anything else, Thailand doesn't differentiate re' engine size.

Thailand has totally separate Car & Bike DLs.

As Edge says

To be VERY clear. You wil not be insured (either by the bike insurance here OR by travel insurance) if you do NOT hold a valid motorcycle licence.

Most travel insurances do NOT cover this but as has been pointed out SOME do. Without wanting to be over repetitive even those that do require the correct licence, some even insist the bike has "local insurance" and is proven fully roadworthy etc etc.

To recap

Check the wording of your insurance.

If you do NOT have a full motorbike driving lince understand you are not covered.

Bottom line - why should an insurance company pay up if YOU are negligent??

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

My UK issued insurance policy states 'Motorcycling with appropriate UK licence'. If you have full motorbike licence no problem. If you have full car licence then motorbike up to 50 cc. If you have completed CBT would give cover for up to 125cc (with L plates) This was checked with insurer

My UK issued insurance policy states 'Motorcycling with appropriate UK licence'. If you have full motorbike licence no problem. If you have full car licence then motorbike up to 50 cc. If you have completed CBT would give cover for up to 125cc (with L plates) This was checked with insurer

Are you sure they're talking about riding abroad?

Jiggered if I know what those rules have to do with riding inThailand.

Exaggerating to make the point, if you had an accident and killed someone here and were found to be driving illegally, do you think you're insurance company would pay up?

As the lead article is about travel insurance those are the conditions for riding a motorcycle abroad on my policy and getting Medical assistance. Motor Insurance is a different matter from travel insurance. The insurance company assume you are driving legally in Thailand with approprate insurances/licence if not of course they would not pay

My point is that in theory to be covered for medical insurance on MY policy in Thailand you need either a full UK issued motorbike licence or you could in theory ride up to 125 cc bike with a valid CBT certificate and have to show L plates (I know we are in Thailand) or under 50 cc bike on full car licence

To be legal in Thailand you would require a full Thailand or international /uk motorbike licence. However for the medical insurance to be valid a full Thailand motorbike licence would not be enough you need to have the full UK issued motorbike licence or for up to 125 cc bike a valid CBT certificate and have to show L plates

Edited by matson

As the lead article is about travel insurance those are the conditions for riding a motorcycle abroad on my policy and getting Medical assistance. Motor Insurance is a different matter from travel insurance. The insurance company assume you are driving legally in Thailand with approprate insurances/licence if not of course they would not pay

My point is that in theory to be covered for medical insurance on MY policy in Thailand you need either a full UK issued motorbike licence or you could in theory ride up to 125 cc bike with a valid CBT certificate and have to show L plates (I know we are in Thailand) or under 50 cc bike on full car licence

To be legal in Thailand you would require a full Thailand or international /uk motorbike licence. However for the medical insurance to be valid a full Thailand motorbike licence would not be enough you need to have the full UK issued motorbike licence or for up to 125 cc bike a valid CBT certificate and have to show L plates

Sorry, I was guilty of thread cross pollination.

Nonetheless, I conclude you wouldn't know for sure until you made the claim and it still might depend whether they found out you'd been injured whilst driving illegally?

As you say, reading that then in theory...............Dunno. :hello09:

I agree they would not pay if driving illegally and more than likely not pay without a full uk motorbike licence

For the Aussie BM's...

I use this travel insurance and they DO cover you on a motorbike - it's an add on which is pretty cheap.

http://www.travelinsure.com.au/

Here's the wording directly from the site:

Motorcycle & Moped Riding

If you wish to be covered for riding a motorcycle (including a moped) as the driver or pillion passenger, you must pay an extra premium.

Even if you pay the extra premium, you will only be covered if:

• the engine capacity is 200 cc or less
  • you're not participating in a professional capacity
  • whilst in control of the vehicle, you hold a license valid in the relevant country
  • you're wearing a helmet
  • you're not racing

Good luck and ride safe!

Cheers...

The license issue is interesting indeed. There was a thread going strong in the forum where an American complained about a fine for not having a valid international, or Thai license. He had an American one. I figure the Americans don't issue international driving licenses automatically like it's done in Europe, where it's easy to cross five countries on a daytrip. So, if New Zealanders don't have international (or Thai) licenses either while driving a bike in Thailand, and their isolated location suggests this, the premium for bike accidents is good for nothing.

The license issue is interesting indeed. There was a thread going strong in the forum where an American complained about a fine for not having a valid international, or Thai license. He had an American one. I figure the Americans don't issue international driving licenses automatically like it's done in Europe, where it's easy to cross five countries on a daytrip. So, if New Zealanders don't have international (or Thai) licenses either while driving a bike in Thailand, and their isolated location suggests this, the premium for bike accidents is good for nothing.

In a nutshell IDLs are irrelevant here.

You either need your Home DL (correct for the vehicle you're driving) together with an IDP....or a Thai DL.

• 3 weeks later...

One more............

Norwegian man, Thai woman killed in Chon Buri road accident

The Nation

CHON BURI: -- A 52-year-old Norwegian tourist and a Thai woman were killed when their motorcycle crashed into a bridge over the Chon Buri-Bangkok highway early Tuesday, police said.

Police said Hans Krispian Lundsvoll and Somying Boonbamrungsilp, 17, were killed in the accident at 4:30 am in Tambon Naklua of Bang Lamung district.

Witnesses told police that the tourist appeared drunk and was speeding up the motorcycle. He lost control and crashed into an edge of the bridge, causing his body and the pillion rider woman to be hurled down from the bridge.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-14