IGNORED

Surviving the flight as a smoker

thinkingallowed

How do you manage those long flights and in many cases the time before at the airport if you are a regular smoker?

I am the grumpiest most horrid person without my nicotine hit and have tried several ways to overcome the problem.

Nicotine patches, they help but I'm still a bit on edge.

Snus (scandinavian oral tobacco), not being Scandinavian I can't do the loose stuff but get on fine with the pouches. This method satisfies my craving and I am a pleasant chap to sit next to on the airplane.

Nicotine chewing gum, works better than patches but I don't really like it. Thinking about it, it's just artificial Snus. If you do go down this route read the instructions I didn't the first time. Your only supposed to chew it a little then keep it against your gum. I just kept on chewing and the huge amount if nicotine I released in a short time had a massive laxative effect. I'm not kidding if that first toilet had not been vacant on the airplane I would have been one very embarrassed guy.

Electronic cigarettes, if you can remember to keep these charged up it's not a bad option. Plus you can annoy people who get angry because it looks like you are smoking. I liked the menthol ones best but the supposed normal ones tasted like coffee to me. I gave up with thus method because I can't remember to keep charging the batteries.

Snuff, probably my favourite method but it does have its down sides. I generally pop to the toilet unless most people around me are asleep. I'd hate some busy body reporting me to the customs officers for snorting powders up my nose all through the flight. Snuff did cause me a hell of a problem on one flight. I was traveling from Amsterdam to Bangkok in Eva's old evergreen class at the nose end of a 747. The old chap sat next to me was having a hard time as he'd never been on a twelve hour flight before and as he usually smoked sware shag, which is very strong Dutch tobacco, he was climbing the walls before we set off. I showed him the snuff and he had a go and l had a new best mate. As soon as the plane lifted off he was on the call button asking for double whiskys for me and him. I don't mind a drink so I had a couple with him and enjoyed a wine or two with the meal. He was at it again straight after the meal ordering doubles. I declined as I'd worked a 14hr nightshift before going home to pack and travel to the airport. So I explained I was going to sleep but would leave the snuff out. In the middle of the flight I woke up with a really strange sensation. It took a short time to work out what was happening. It was a strange warm wet feeling. My new best mate had got plastered and after he'd been refused anymore drinks, gone to sleep and woke up in a dark strange place and decided I was the toilet. I hit the call button as I struggled to find the buckle on the safety belt. One stewardess dragged him off to the toilet and another came to sort me out. I asked if there was another seat and she said that the flight was full. Even upstairs? I asked, she looked at me covered in piss and said I think so. After I explained that I had a full change of clothing in my carry on and was going to have a very good wash she agreed to go have a look for a seat for me. I got the upgrade when I was all nice and clean again but when I went back to pick up a couple of things I'd left by my piss soaked seat it was all I could do not to kill the guy when he asked if I'd leave him some snuff.

So snuff works for me but it can have its downsides.

What works for you?

i find using an electronic cigarette a great way to take the edge off a 12hour flight.

While some airlines now donot allow their use its much easier to get away with using one in the toilets than a conventional cigarettes, I also hate the smoking rooms at dubai so an electronic cigarette is also great for that purpose.

checkout this site for electronic cigarette kit for the UK.

I personally used one of these little pack last time i flew long haul and it was the very best price i could find for a supplier online http://www.electroniccigarette-starterkit.co.uk/basic-kit/

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

I too am a smoker and i have found the easiest way is to take a sleeping tablet and I sleep for 90% of the flight. :GoldenSmile1:

I also used the e cigs on the flight (in the toilet) on my April trip, i switched to e cigs completely in Jan and have since quit the e cig without even trying to quit, it just happened. Worth trying them if you want to give up.

I always manage at the Airport to nip in the Lav, and have a few sneaky Top-ups prior to Boarding. I first go in One Cubicle, Spark-up, Puff, Puff, Puff ,Dog it, then go in another Cubicle and Spark-up again then have a more relaxed Puff.

This way if somebody shouts or draws attention to some Bugger Smoking, I can flush and walk out agreeing that some Cheeky Monkey has been Smoking and what a disgrace.

I have on the Plane used those E-Fag things or just nipped into the Bog for a Hand Shandy both working ok for me.

The bottom line is us Smokers cant light up so to get to Pats we just have to endure and 12 Hrs is not that long after all in the great scheme of things.

Ghosty

I too am a smoker and i have found the easiest way is to take a sleeping tablet and I sleep for 90% of the flight. :GoldenSmile1:

++++ ! wj

• 2 weeks later...

Ive opted for the nicotine gum for the long flight. Takes the edge off. Plus a sleeping pill to get about 9 hours sleep on the 18 hour flight.

i switched to e cigs completely in Jan and have since quit the e cig without even trying to quit, it just happened. Worth trying them if you want to give up.

Dave, that's EXACTLY what happened to me. I bought my first e-cig at the end of Dec and quit real smokes right then. Smoked the e-cig all the time n Jan-Feb-Mar then started to slow my intake (without me realising) from about April onwards. I remember one day in May at about 6pm thinking 'hey, I haven't even touched my e-gig today". From then onwards I've been using it less and less. Got to love the e-cigs but I think the trick is to buy the right one.

I always manage at the Airport to nip in the Lav, and have a few sneaky Top-ups prior to Boarding. I first go in One Cubicle, Spark-up, Puff, Puff, Puff ,Dog it, then go in another Cubicle and Spark-up again then have a more relaxed Puff.

This way if somebody shouts or draws attention to some Bugger Smoking, I can flush and walk out agreeing that some Cheeky Monkey has been Smoking and what a disgrace.

Yes, I used to do that as well and it's a good strategy. At Heathrow on the way toi the gate there's normally 2-3 toilets that aren't really used. I only used to have about 4-5 drags in one before moving on.

On the plane, can't you wind the window down a little bit and have a crafty puff?

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

• 2 weeks later...

On the plane, can't you wind the window down a little bit and have a crafty puff?

Hahaha if only!!

For me, I just have a few smokes before getting into the airport and then I'm usually okay for the flight. I have an e-ciggarette but here in Canada the ones that have nicotine in them are banned. You can only buy the ones without nicotine. Basically it is more for those people that just need the sensation of smoking. Don't really work that well. I'm usually okay on the plane, no cravings or anything, but as soon as I land in my transfer country (usually Hong Kong) I sprint to the first smoking room I see.

12 hours to TPE and a smoking room in the secure area, freezing cold or steaming hot but at least a place to have a smoke between flights

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

i also use my e cig on the plane,in the toilet or under the blanket.certenly helps during a 12 hour flight.

• 3 weeks later...

sound like a whole load of faffing about to me, can't you just man up a bit and do without.

It's only about 12 hours without, probably go without that long when asleep!

I check in, then go outside the airport and have a couple, go through security as late as possible then just wait till a smoking room at bangkok.

My greatest worry, before going to Thailand last month, was how to deal with not being able to smoke. I flew via Copenhagen, and had found out to my horror that there are no smoking rooms at Kastrup Airport which made the four and a half hour layover even worse. On the plane I kept telling myself that "this too will pass" and counting the minutes until touchdown. When finally in Thailand it took longer to clear immigration than I had thought and I had to jump straight on the Bell bus without having time for a cigarette. When I finally arrived at Canterbury Tales, I chain smoked half a pack.

So what did I do to prepare myself for this ordeal? I bought a pack of the strongest nicotine patches I could find, slapping one on in the some room at the airport before boarding the plane on my first leg. In Copenhagen I put a fresh patch on before boarding the plane to BKK. Did the same when flying home, but with only 50 minutes layover in Copenhagen and ample time to smoke before my bus left back to Reykjavik, it wasn't too bad.

Last January I was standing outside in a blizzard having a smoke. Cold and covered in snow I said to myself "fuck this, I'm going somewhere warm for my holidays" - and went to book a flight to Thailand. And now that I'm back, I can't wait to go again. I smoke almost two packs a day and have been wanting to quit but never could. Last year I spent more on tobacco than the total cost for my trip, so now I have a great incentive to quit smoking: If I quit the 10-15k baht that I currently spend on cigarettes can be used to have a nice girl smoke *me* every day during my holidays. That beats blowing the money up in smoke.

sound like a whole load of faffing about to me, can't you just man up a bit and do without.

It's only about 12 hours without, probably go without that long when asleep!

I check in, then go outside the airport and have a couple, go through security as late as possible then just wait till a smoking room at bangkok.

That's the right spirit. Next you will accept a smoking ban outdoors like the fine people of New York in the land of the free.

I'm an average smoker ( 1 pack a day ) but, luckily, i never had the need of a cigarette on a plane. I seen now a lot of airlines banned the e-cigarettes; for those who use that in the toilet : no problem with the steam they produce, no alarms at all ?