IGNORED

United overbook so drag random passenger from plane

davidge

http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/video-airline-passenger-dragged-off-flight-passengers-say-because-plane-was-overbooked

Video posted on Twitter Sunday shows a United Airlines passenger being forcibly removed from the plane by two men who appear to be police.

At least two angles of the incident show the man start to scream as two men grab and then drag him down the aisle as other passengers chastise the officers.

"Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked. After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities," Charles Hobart, a United spokesman, said in an email. 

The (Louisville) Courier-Journal reported United offered $400 and a hotel stay to get people to pick a different flight from Chicago to Louisville, then raised the offer to $800 when no one took the bait. Passengers were allowed to board in the meantime. Then a computer randomly selected four people to leave the plane. One couple left without incident, but another man refused to leave. Then security was called in, according to Circa

A Twitter user identifying himself as Jayse D. Anspach wrote, “United overbook[ed] flight 3411 and decided to force random passengers off the plane. Here’s how they did it,” over a video shot about three feet away from the incident in question.

Another Twitter user - going by the name Tyler Bridges – captured reactions from passengers aghast by the officers’ actions.

“This is wrong,” one woman screams as the passengers is dragged down the aisle. “Oh my God, look at what you did to him.”

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they let them board the plane in the first place ? 

Just read about it on line and according to one report they asked for 1 volunteer  not to board and someone agreed they let them board then United wanted 4 seats for Staff they then selected 4 at Random. The Person was a Doctor and it is said he had patients to see. Whatever it is a Disgrace and no wonder why so many US BM's slag off the US airlines.  

28 minutes ago, mbamber said:

Just read about it on line and according to one report they asked for 1 volunteer  not to board and someone agreed they let them board then United wanted 4 seats for Staff they then selected 4 at Random. The Person was a Doctor and it is said he had patients to see. Whatever it is a Disgrace and no wonder why so many US BM's slag off the US airlines.  

I'm split on this one (depends on how many times they asked the guy) - just what did the guy expect would happen if he kept refusing? Of course they would physically remove him, what other option is there? Ask another random person, because this one wasn't cooperating? That's not fair either.

24 minutes ago, sabato said:

I'm split on this one (depends on how many times they asked the guy) - just what did the guy expect would happen if he kept refusing? Of course they would physically remove him, what other option is there? Ask another random person, because this one wasn't cooperating? That's not fair either.

As someone has already said why let them board and then kick them off, and as a PR cock up it is in the Main Stream UK press it definitely up there. 

5 minutes ago, mbamber said:

As someone has already said why let them board and then kick them off, and as a PR cock up it is in the Main Stream UK press it definitely up there. 

Sure it's a major stuff up, but "I'm a doctor with patients to visit" (choose someone else) smells of bullshit, and even if true, delays happen and flights get cancelled.

1 minute ago, sabato said:

Sure it's a major stuff up, but "I'm a doctor with patients to visit" (choose someone else) smells of bullshit, and even if true, delays happen and flights get cancelled.

Who knows the truth I am sure it will come out with the washing only happened recently, you Know what the press are like "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story".  

United statement after social media response to incident:

IMG_6665.JPG

A fairly typical response to their statement:

United Airlines creepy, typically corporate worded "apology" after being exposed as a bunch of press-gang thugs. #SenseOfUrgency

Amazed anybody on here can defend the airline! 

16 minutes ago, davidge said:

Amazed anybody on here can defend the airline! 

I'm equally surprised people defend a guy that refuses a police order to disembark the plane. This didn't need to happen. If their response was ok you're more important than the other passengers on this plane, we'll choose someone else (and that someone else was me), I tell you what I'd be pissed.

Anyone who didn't want to get off should just have screamed Discrimination.

"Your only doing this because I'm black" or "Your only doing this because I'm not black"

Substitute "black" for hispanic, gay, lesbian, vegetarian, catholic, left handed or whatever and it still holds good.

Forced off the plane and you've got to be looking at millions of $, as many attorneys will tell you because you are the victim of of Uniteds illegal bigotry towards you..

Just remember to keep at straight face in your media interviews when you explain how its ruined your life by being so obviously the victim of corporate discrimination

United will settle out of court and you can retire on the money :Clap8:

I'm very curious to hear the thoughts of someone in the industry (like BM Rocketboy), but, in my opinion, this is much ado about nothing.  Frankly, I blame the passenger as much if not more than anyone else.

In my opinion, United clearly fucked up -- I think that they should NOT have allowed anyone that was going to get bumped to board the plane.  BUT, once that got away from them, what were they supposed to do?  This passenger refused when the flight attendants told him that he was randomly selected.  They then went and got law enforcement - not Chicago police, but clearly law enforcement.  When law enforcement told him to deplane, he again refused.  

WTF were they supposed to do?!?  Say "okay...well...I guess we'll just randomly select another passenger..."?  You think the next person isn't going to react the EXACT same way?

The fact that he was a Dr. doesn't means shit to me.  In fact, it probably added to his arrogant behavior and refusal to comply.  This daft twat thought he was "too important," so they should have been forced to remove a different passenger.  Is United supposed to go passenger-by-passenger until someone does NOT have a good excuse as to why they should be allowed to remain onboard?

In reading frequent flier blogs over the years, I have learned one very important thing - the pilot and crew have an absurd amount of authority and your ass is in a sling if you refuse to comply with their instructions.  

Lost in all of this uproar is this little point:  "One couple left without incident".  They weren't pricks about it, so no publicity for them getting bumped.

Let's look at it another way:
A guy who is on the "no fly" list somehow gets through the boarding process and is sitting on the plane.  The airline realizes it before takeoff and asks him to deplane.  He refuses.  Law enforcement is called onboard and instructs him to deplane.  He refuses.  They physically drag his ass off of the plane.

Is the airline or law enforcement getting criticized in that situation?  IN both cases, it was determined that the passenger did not have the right to be in that seat.  Once that determination is made, get the fuck off the plane.  It's that simple.

If it was me, I would have been pissed and raising holy Hell....but I would have gotten off the goddamn plane before security had to drag my ass off!

In a Fox News article the man "Claims to be a Doctor". Regardless if the computer randomly selected him to be removed from the aircraft he should have obeyed the flight attendant and the police. Once you get on an aircraft in the United States you are subject to FAA rules and regulations. If someone asks you to get off the plane, get the FUCK OFF!!

I'd be pissed too and do what anyone else these days would do, shame United via social media.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

United decide they want seats for 4 staff so throw 4 fare paying passengers off the flight after they've already boarded. 

A 69 year old doctor refuses so they have him assaulted and physically removed ending in him needing hospital treatment. 

3 minutes ago, davidge said:

United decide they want seats for 4 staff so throw 4 fare paying passengers off the flight after they've already boarded. 

A 69 year old doctor refuses so they have him assaulted and physically removed ending in him needing hospital treatment. 

He wasn't assaulted from what I can see. Bouncers remove people from clubs all the time, let's just keep this in perspective - this is not a human rights violation.

The police guy probably felt like a bag of shit having to do this (hard to tell either way from footage). Real nice thing for the good doctor to do. Still, without knowing all the details it's hard to tell, but you're jumping to conclusions, could go either way.

If security asked you to leave the plane, you should leave.. I don't get what all the uproar is about. Yes, it is a fuckup on United's part, but if security ask you to leave, you should obey regardless of the reason.

IMG_6668.thumb.PNG.f29c377a6df4bf5d7d15d

1 hour ago, davidge said:

United fucked up by overbooking (although I don't know that this was an overbooking situation, as it was crew that needed to board).  FWIW, that crew had to get to Louisville, where another plane full of passengers (and perhaps at least 1 Dr. who "needed to get back to see patients") could not continue with their flight.

THEN United fucked up when they let passengers start boarding when they knew that they didn't have enough volunteers for ticket on flight the next day, an $800 voucher, and a hotel room (when it's come up when I was flying, they usually get too many volunteers)

THEN they did what they had to do - randomly selected passengers (I assume their computer picked them out) to be removed from the flight

As your OP said, another couple deplaned without incident.

The "69 year old Dr." refused when he was asked multiple times to deplane...then they brought law enforcement onboard and he continued to refuse their requests that he deplane.  

I'm really curious as to what you think the law enforcement personnel or United should have done?  

Somebody had to get off of that plane, and I certainly didn't see any other passengers saying "wait! I'll get off instead of him - let him stubbornly continue to sit in his seat..."

3 hours ago, sabato said:

I'm equally surprised people defend a guy that refuses a police order to disembark the plane. This didn't need to happen. If their response was ok you're more important than the other passengers on this plane, we'll choose someone else (and that someone else was me), I tell you what I'd be pissed.

Airline is totally in the wrong.... they stopped the "bidding" @ 800 bucks...  the bidding should have continued, until somebody took the bait... That is the procedure in cases like that.

They (the airline) punted paying customers to dead head a crew.... that is what the bottom line is...

14 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

(SNIP)

I'm really curious as to what you think the law enforcement personnel or United should have done?  (SNIP)

Not really the issue....

The issue IMO, is the airline has a procedure that is in place for incidents like this, and did not follow it.  It is basically to bribe someone to leave.  The offered up to 800 bucks, and by the procedure should have gone higher until a taker was found... they failed to do so.

Wanna place bets on who gets compensation out of this?  

Agree - stopping at $800 was another one of their HUGE screw-ups.  I think they should've refused to allow any boarding and kept bumping the amounts.  Once they got above $1200 or so, though, I could see them saying "okay...no volunteers, so we're going to pull 3 of your tickets BEFORE you get on.....passenger XYZ, passenger ABC, and passenger DEF....please approach the podium""

I have had them to get $900 on flights, but they then got a bunch of volunteers at that point.  A friend said American Airlines got up to a $2000 voucher on a flight she was on.  I generally start paying attention once they get to $750, but, DAMN! there's not a lot that I won't skip for a $2000 airline voucher!

All of that said, I just can't see any excuse for the Dr's refusal to deplane once his number came up and especially after law enforcement is there.

I also think that is EXACTLY the issue that they're being bashed (no pun intended) for on social media, i.e., the video of him being dragged off and photos of his bloody lip. 

What if your going to a wedding, boarding to be somewhere on a certain date, the whole situation stinks and is the airlines fault, don't overbook the plane!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of all, United didn't really overbook.  They had 4 employees show up who needed to "deadhaed" to their next destination.  Well, that's United's problem now, isn't it.  It's up to them to solve it in a reasonable way (as has been pointed out already, keep upping the offer, from $400 to $800 to whatever, until someone accepts.  Would have been a lot cheaper for United).

The Asian guy paid for his ticket.  He didn't do anything wrong.  Just because some computer "randomly selected" him to be bumped, doesn't mean he has to take it.  Yes, that clause is probably in the fine print of his ticket, but US law takes a dim view of including clauses in a contract that is not reasonable.  Which it was not in this case.

As far as the passenger not following the instructions of the police, why should he?  He was in the right.  Just because someone wears a uniform doesn't mean he can demand anything he wants.  Don't be a sheep.

Finally, it's all the insincere statements by the Chicago PD and United afterwards.  Chicago PD claims he "fell and bumped his head".  Are you kidding me?  

United says they are reaching out to the passenger.  Really?  If I was him, I wouldn't take United's call, talk to my lawyer.  

I hope the passenger sues United for many millions and wins.

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm really curious as to what you think the law enforcement personnel or United should have done?  

The law enforcement personnel should not have done ANYTHING.  This was a civil case.  There was no security concern involved.  There is no evidence whatsoever that the bumped passenger had a security issue.  Law enforcement should have told United so: it's a civil issue, you guys are on your own.  We are police, not your private bouncers.

I could be wrong but it looks like the airline decided to kick off random passengers in order to let their work buddies catch that flight. Why weren't the 3 airline workers accommodated on another flight instead of kicking of customers?

Archived